'Can't Stop, Won't Stop: A Bad Boy Story' confirmed as Apple Music exclusive

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Almost immediately validating rumors, a new documentary on Bad Boy Records -- "Can't Stop, Won't Stop" -- has been announced as an Apple Music exclusive, arriving on June 25.

The film is centered around Bad Boy owner Sean "Puff Daddy" Combs, the rise of the label during the 1990s, and efforts to put together 20th-anniversary shows in 2016, according to Billboard. The documentary includes behind-the-scenes moments and interviews with industry executives, such as now-Apple Music head Jimmy Iovine.

"I went to the [Bad Boy Reunion] concert and thought it was incredible," Iovine told Billboard. "I think Puff and Bad Boy's story is incredible and one that a lot of people can relate to in any genre or in any business. His story is powerful. He really overcame a lot to get to where he's at today and the documentary shows that."

Apple will hold onto exclusivity for at least a year.

Echoing statements made to Bloomberg, Iovine promised that Apple has "a bunch of other stuff that we can't talk about yet because the deals aren't done."

Bloomberg said on Thursday that Apple may have up to 10 original shows and documentaries planned for 2017, other known titles being "Carpool Karaoke," "Planet of the Apps," and documentaries about Clive Davis and Cash Money Records.

The same report claimed that the push for original video on Apple Music is so strong that the "iOS 11" Music app will be designed to highlight it.

"Can't Stop, Won't Stop" will see an advance screening tonight at the TriBeCa Film Festival, currently ongoing in New York City.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Cannot stand him and his I don't show up anywhere unless everything is free and you pay me.
    fluffhead
  • Reply 2 of 11
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Not a fan of him but his label was super successful.

I'm calling it now, Dr. Dre's Aftermath documentary coming to Apple Music. 
  • Reply 3 of 11
    pujones1pujones1 Posts: 222member
    Seriously?

I'm sure this will be great for some. I'd like to see them get that original content train rolling with all sorts of genre. Anime included!! ;)

Netflix is really killing it with the original content and I would love for grab Netflix but that may not make good sense to them.
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 4 of 11
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Oh, Lord.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Taking off my Apple fan hat for a second (I suppose this is a good thing for Apple Music).. I don't know how anyone has ever taken this person seriously. The title should read:

Cant Stop, Won't Stop: milking success based off the death of The Notorious B.I.G. and shamelessly ripping off classic rock songs.
    fluffheadSpamSandwich
  • Reply 6 of 11
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    Can't cook, won't cook.

• Reply 7 of 11
    jgreg728jgreg728 Posts: 100member
    Oh **** this.... Who cares about PD anymore? Or ever? Give me a doc about a label that actually mattered like SubPop. 
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Came to the thread for the old, white guy dismissal of urban culture. Was not disappointed. 
    dysamoriadasanman69
  • Reply 9 of 11
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Came to the thread for the old, white guy dismissal of urban culture. Was not disappointed. 
    +1

I came to the thread to see if the egregiously hostile libertarians of the forum would be praising bad boy behavior in their own tech geek insecure white guy sort of way.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Where was there a dismissal of urban culture? Who is old and white on this thread?
    dysamoria said:
    +1

I came to the thread to see if the egregiously hostile libertarians of the forum would be praising bad boy behavior in their own tech geek insecure white guy sort of way.
    Um, what?

Seems like there may be a bit of projecting going on here.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Shocking because http://www.tmz.com/2016/02/04/diddy-tupac-murder/ 

Distribution of art based on the violent struggle for survival at the base of American capitalism provides an important path for money to flow back into those communities. Hopefully so much money will flow into these relatively small places that future generations of this genre will be more abstract and less extreme.

BUT THIS STUFF SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN LINKED TO APPLE'S LUXURY BRAND because there are more than FIVE BILLION people who "aren't down with" the "distinctly-American drug and violence themes" expressed through this kind of art. Those people want iPhones because they represent American aspirational luxury and intelligence associated with Steve, SUCCESS and PROSPERITY.  Why Cue & Cook are f'ing with all that in a way that invites their biggest competitor to start telling "mothers across Asia" what will iLurer their kid down the "wrong path is beyond me: https://youtu.be/Z-48u_uWMHY