Acer announces USB-C 4K display geared towards professional image editor's needs [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2017
At a live event on Thursday in New York City, PC-centric manufacturer Acer rolled out a 4K USB display aimed at image and video editors with USB-C connectivity and 85W of charging support suitable for the 2016 15-inch MacBook Pro.

At its Acer Next event, the company debuted the 31.5-inch ProDesigner PE320QK monitor. The display is capable of 550 nits at 4K resolution. Additionally, the new display has what the company calls enhanced color gamut supporting 130 percent of the sRGB and 95 percent of the DCI-P3 gamuts in 8 bits. Response time is 4 milliseconds, with a 100 million to 1 contrast ratio.

The inclusion of USB-C as the connection method, plus supplying 85W of power makes it one of the only monitors available that will keep a 2016 15-inch MacBook Pro fully charged while in use. The display also features a removable anti-glare hood.

Update: Connectivity options include two HDMI 2.0 ports, audio out, a DisplayPort 1.2, a USB 3.1 type C input, and four USB 3.1 Type C outputs suitable for peripherals. A pair of 2W speakers are also present.

Pricing and availability are not yet known. At present, there is no product page display on the Acer website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    Good start., but it nmeeds to match reference quality (no Apple has never been even near that reference - that iis EIZO professional monitors): http://www.eizo.com/products/coloredge/
  • Reply 2 of 26
    jcdinkinsjcdinkins Posts: 114member
    Buyer beware.  I personally will never buy another Acer product again.  Handled IT purchases at a company I used to work at years ago.  Ordered 6 laptops for folks.  Within 2 years all but 1 died.  Horrendous build quality.  They suck you in by offering their products just a little bit cheaper than most.  Not worth it.  Maybe they've gotten better since then, but I just can't go with them again because of past experience.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Good start., but it nmeeds to match reference quality (no Apple has never been even near that reference - that iis EIZO professional monitors): http://www.eizo.com/products/coloredge/
    I own an eizo coloredge cg318-4k. It's great and well worth the price of a higher-end MacPro (is that a contradiction in terms these days?).

why does this Acer display need to match the Enzo's reference quality? That's why we have Eizo. 

A specrum of quality from totally non-calibrated, consumer-grade to hardware calibrated, high bit per channel displays seems positive. If acer can do better than average at a reasonable price it's more likely that more designers will have something better on their desks in the future than they have now. 
  • Reply 4 of 26
    jcdinkins said:
    Buyer beware.  I personally will never buy another Acer product again.  Handled IT purchases at a company I used to work at years ago.  Ordered 6 laptops for folks.  Within 2 years all but 1 died.  Horrendous build quality.  They suck you in by offering their products just a little bit cheaper than most.  Not worth it.  Maybe they've gotten better since then, but I just can't go with them again because of past experience.
    My first laptop was an Acer. The logo came off while I was cleaning it.
    dysamoriaSpamSandwich
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    jcdinkins said:
    I've been pretty happy with their displays -- more on that shortly.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Does it have a hd camera for FaceTime?
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Does it have a hd camera for FaceTime?
    It does not.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Where are all the people complaining how ugly it is?
  • Reply 9 of 26
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    macxpress said:
    It's super ugly.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 26
    The onscreen photo wins the award for the least interesting beach picture you could possibly take.  An empty beach with a lot of footprints?  Maybe everyone got tired of charging the attached MacBook and had to go home and siesta.  Cheers!
    randominternetpersondysamoria
  • Reply 11 of 26
    macxpress said:

I was going to post a snarky comment about the "amazing" design, but now I won't.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    macxpress said:

Meh, it's a monitor...I never got the people complaining about how ugly a monitor is. It's not like it's coloured puce and orange, or has tassels on the side. It might be a bit dull, but as long as it works, who really cares?

macxpress
  • Reply 13 of 26
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    jSnively said:
    macxpress said:
    It's super ugly.
    But the technorati wannabes don’t care about looks or design, only specs matter. They don’t really care about performance either as long as the specs are good. Specs are everything just like market share is everything.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    anome said:
    macxpress said:

Meh, it's a monitor...I never got the people complaining about how ugly a monitor is. It's not like it's coloured puce and orange, or has tassels on the side. It might be a bit dull, but as long as it works, who really cares?

I'm totally with you. I always though it was laughable that people would post how shitty the LG display looked. Who cares! Its the panel and the functionality you should care about, not how pretty it looks on your desk. When someone visits is the first thing you show them is how pretty your display looks only your desk? 
    edited April 2017 anome
  • Reply 15 of 26
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Interesting design.    The comments about Acer quality are a concern though.   I've never owned Acer so can't say much there.   However every company has its failures and frankly the low end low margin world is not exactly the high quality world.     In any event this monitor has the feature set I'd like in a new monitor.   I could put it to use today and it would still work with upgraded Apple hardware in the future.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    The seams are atrocious and the quality of plastic looks like a cheap TV. Nope. If you're on a budget, just get a 27" iMac, which has a 10bit display a feature available since as of El cap. 

If you're buying $5k+ MP, I would hope you weren't amateur enough to pair it with this POS. 

This display is confused in terms of who it's for, has shit build quality that you can see in pictures (you don't even have to see it in real life to know that) and it's specs really aren't anything to brag about. Just bad value for your dollar overall. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 17 of 26
    stevenozstevenoz Posts: 314member
    Presumably there are ports on the back... but why would they post a photo with no ports evident?    Pass.

spliff monkey
  • Reply 18 of 26
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    100,000,000 to 1 contrast ratio??? Is that even possible with LCD? Is this saying the panel has zero light leakage or that the lighting is capable of causing exposure injury??
  • Reply 19 of 26
    buckalecbuckalec Posts: 203member
    Lost me at the A of Acer
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 20 of 26
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Another compromised product w/ DP 1.2 and 8 bit.
    suddenly newton