Trump to meet with Foxconn chairman Terry Gou, report says

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2017
Terry Gou, chairman of Apple manufacturing partner Foxconn, will reportedly meet with President Donald Trump in Washington, D.C., on Thursday, where the pair are likely to discuss U.S. job creation and a pending bid for Toshiba's chip business.

Citing people familiar with the matter, the Nikkei Asian Review reports Gou arranged the meeting with the help of SoftBank chairman Masayoshi Son, who previously met with Trump in New York last year. At the time, Trump touted SoftBank's commitment of $50 billion to U.S. operations as part of an investment fund, a move that could create some 50,000 new jobs.

Though details of today's first ever meeting between Trump and Gou were unavailable, the president is expected to discuss job creation while the Foxconn head is likely to bring up the sale of Toshiba's memory chip business.

In January, Gou revealed Foxconn was considering a joint $7 billion investment with Apple that would go toward the creation of U.S. display production plant. It was later reported that Foxconn subsidiary Sharp would take a lead role in running the plant. Gou last month expressed concerns over building displays in the U.S., however, citing a lack of government incentives, supply chain hurdles and labor issues.

Trump previously put pressure on Apple to "do something major" to build iPhones in the U.S., and in an interview in January said Apple CEO Tim Cook had his "eyes open to it." The president has put intense focus on job creation as a main pillar of his platform, often citing the tech sector as a wellspring of jobs. Multinational companies like Apple often farm out labor to overseas firms, and the success of iPhone has helped Foxconn become the largest contract manufacturer in the world.

As for Toshiba, Foxconn is again said to partner with Apple on a bid for the embattled Japanese electronics company's memory chip business. Toshiba is entertaining bids as it faces more than $9 billion in losses tied to its U.S. nuclear operations run under the brand Westinghouse. While Toshiba is motivated to sell, the company might reject a reported $27 billion offer from Foxconn in favor of a less contentious, and less lucrative, bid from Japanese suitors.

Earlier this month, reports claimed Apple was considering lowering its investment, allowing Toshiba to maintain a partial stake in the unit. The strategy is meant to appease Japanese regulators seeking to limit the transfer of domestic technology to outside companies.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    "Gou last month expressed concerns over building displays in the U.S., however, citing a lack of government incentives, supply chain hurdles and labor issues."

I think this is the reality of why these discussions will probably never advance beyond cheap talk to prop up a failing presidency. 
    jony0SpamSandwichdaven
  • Reply 2 of 40
    stevenozstevenoz Posts: 314member
    New assembly factories presumably will be a robotic domain, more and more, as they should be.

Take Donald's iPhone away from him and tell him to worry about the national deficit.

SpamSandwich
  • Reply 3 of 40
    Not to mention that current American manufacturing is at or near historic highs. Manufacturing took a hit a few years ago, but has recovered in recent years. It's just a flag Trump can waive to win votes from the uneducated and misinformed. 
    SpamSandwichdaven
  • Reply 4 of 40
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    So is this thread going to be locked down with all of the anti-Trump comments? Waiting...
    mejsric
  • Reply 5 of 40
    So is this thread going to be locked down with all of the anti-Trump comments? Waiting...
    The article IS about him meeting with a Chinese manufacturer. I take it we have to remain silent and not speak his name? Is it just because you voted him and just like Trump himself any criticism just makes you uncomfortable? Can't handle the heat? Get out of kitchen. This article specifically references the cheeto turd? Up until this comment I said nothing particularly offensive or demeaning to the man who calls himself the 45th president, so why are you so concerned with opinions about Trump when discussing a Trump related issue?
  • Reply 6 of 40
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    We need to keep the thread going, and stop this presidency. That would make 65% of the country happy.
    spliff monkeyMacProSpamSandwich
  • Reply 7 of 40
    kamiltonkamilton Posts: 282member
    Functionally, President Trump would have to make a deal whereby Apple loses no money and no time moving a significant percentage of manufacturing to the US.  Just think about how complicated the "no time" lost component is.  Further, if this deal includes Foxconn's continued involvement, say over a 2-4 year period, then President T would likely have to loosen immigration requirements for the Foxconn folks coming to America to work.  

I love his good intentions.  America can't have too many manufacturing jobs.  However, much of the US/world economy now rests on labor availability and cost.  Low cost, competent labor + relaxed environmental regulations = mutually beneficial manufacturing relationships.  Companies like Apple have already cut the best possible deals to get things done.  President Trump wouldn't like TC tellng him which plumbing company to use on his next project.  

To me, President Trump's gambit here like looks like a quick dead end, which begs the question....  Why?  Why can't he see that?  He might "Protect" more America peoplelabor by makng sure our fellow citizens have affordable and comprehensive healthcare.  
  • Reply 8 of 40
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I don't think Trump gets it...Apple is NOT building a damn iPhone in the US and even if Apple did, it wouldn't create many jobs because they'd figure out how to automate almost everything. We don't have the infrastructure and skill set levels to assemble devices on the scale Apple requires. 
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 9 of 40
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    stevenoz said:
    New assembly factories presumably will be a robotic domain, more and more, as they should be.

Take Donald's iPhone away from him and tell him to worry about the national deficit.

The huge deficit Obama created during his 8 years of presidency. 
    icoco3
  • Reply 10 of 40
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    The article IS about him meeting with a Chinese manufacturer. I take it we have to remain silent and not speak his name? Is it just because you voted him and just like Trump himself any criticism just makes you uncomfortable? Can't handle the heat? Get out of kitchen. This article specifically references the cheeto turd? Up until this comment I said nothing particularly offensive or demeaning to the man who calls himself the 45th president, so why are you so concerned with opinions about Trump when discussing a Trump related issue?
    You liberals criticize him for everything he does. It's just a meeting yet you somehow have to throw in stupid comments such as "failing presidency." How can you criticize a meeting? Pretty foolish. 
    SpamSandwichicoco3
  • Reply 11 of 40
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Trump then realized ten minutes later how complicated manufacturing actually is, and why these jobs aren't coming to America anytime soon.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    This from Reuters:
    "When asked by reporters on his way out of the White House if he had met U.S. President Donald Trump, Gou responded: "My memory is not good. Maybe I already forget."

A person with this kind of severe memory loss is running a company like this???

• Reply 13 of 40
    fred1 said:
    This from Reuters:
    "When asked by reporters on his way out of the White House if he had met U.S. President Donald Trump, Gou responded: "My memory is not good. Maybe I already forget."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/top-foxconn-executives-visit-white-045937148.html

Heres the story. Obviously he's being coy with the reporters. He doesn't have a memory problem.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    melgross said:
    We need to keep the thread going, and stop this presidency. That would make 65% of the country happy.
    I want him to uphold the "Repeal" portion of the GOPs "Repeal and Replace" plan for the ACA, I want to see the tax system radically refashioned to make the US much more competitive globally and I'd like to see, if not a physical wall, an improved physical and electronic surveillance system along the Southern border. I'd also like to see California and New York pay a heavy fiscal price for declaring sanctuary city or state status.
    edited April 2017 icoco3
  • Reply 15 of 40
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Trump is a fracking moron who understands nothing about the actual value chain of a modern product.

His interviews are mind numbing in their illiteracy, incoherence and constant .self aggrandizement.

fastasleepsingularity
  • Reply 16 of 40
    fred1 said:
    This from Reuters:

Hey,Trump doesn't remember him so why should he...
    And after "talking" to Trump for a while, maybe you'd rather forget the whole thing actually happened.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    You liberals criticize him for everything he does. It's just a meeting yet you somehow have to throw in stupid comments such as "failing presidency." How can you criticize a meeting? Pretty foolish. 
    Did you read his sack of turd interviews he did lately buddy?
    Please shut the hell up unless you can justify this level of ignorance and illiteracy in anyone, let alone a god damn president.

Not to mention he has to pat himself on the back every other sentence (Tremendous....).

We criticize this based on the moronic things he's said of Apple, Foxconn and manufacturing many times in the past.
    singularity
  • Reply 18 of 40
    melgross said:
    I want him to uphold the "Repeal" portion of the GOPs "Repeal and Replace" plan for the ACA, I want to see the tax system radically refashioned to make the US much more competitive globally and I'd like to see, if not a physical wall, an improved physical and electronic surveillance system along the Southern border. I'd also like to see California and New York pay a heavy fiscal price for declaring sanctuary city or state status.
    He's 0 for 4 on those so have fun waiting. 

Sent from my Sanctuary City
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Trump after failing to repeal the ACA — health care is much more complicated than anyone thought (except for everyone)

Trump after meeting Xi — learns in 10 minutes that the China/North Korea thing is much more complicated than he thought.

Trump after talking to Trudeau about repealing NAFTA — oh that's much more complicated than he thought.

Trump to Reuters just now — "This is more work than in my previous life. I thought it would be easier."

He has no fucking clue what he's doing, or what anything to do with governing involves. It's obvious because he says as much ALL THE TIME. Trump supporters love to say that libtard snowflakes or whatever are just sore but there's something to be said for holding your president to ANY degree of accountability whatsoever.

Tom Nichols nailed it in his op-ed:
    "
    Those of us who criticized Trump voters for their angry populism were often told during and after the election not to condescend to our fellow citizens, and to respect their choices. This is fair. In a democracy, every vote counts equally and the president won an impressive and legitimate electoral victory."

"
    Even so, the unwillingness of so many of his supporters to hold him to even a minimal standard of accountability means that a certain amount of condescension from the rest of us is unavoidable." 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2017/04/27/trump-voters-ruining-america-tom-nichols-column/100926836/

So yeah, as of now — failed presidency, and we're being governed by someone who cannot get anything done because he has no fucking clue what he's doing, hasn't staffed most of positions to do so, and has no clear plans to achieve anything, yet. I thought this was all part of Bannon's plan to dismantle the state, but with him on the back burner now I believe it's literally just incompetence at this point.

Raise your hand if you could knock out a tax plan using only 200 words and 7 numbers. /raises hand
  • Reply 20 of 40
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    stevenoz said:

The huge deficit Obama created during his 8 years of presidency. 
    What exactly do these comments have to do with Ttump meeting with the head of Foxconn ? 

I thought we fianlly moved past the point of threads spiraling into liberal bashing, party fighting. Apparently I was wrong ... smh 😒