Apple shares photos, video from Dubai store opening

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2017
Apple opened its latest flagship store in the United Arab Emirates on Tuesday, and the company is celebrating by sharing a gallery of photos and a short video of the retail debut in Dubai Mall.

The additional photos arrived on Thursday as an update to Apple's original Dubai store press release earlier this week. At the time, the company said it views the new two-story retail outlet, with its views of the Burj Khalifa and Dubai Fountain, as a community gathering space.

Indeed, seen in photos of Thursday's grand opening, Apple Dubai Mall features more than enough space for thousands of customers. The store boasts a split-level design and "Apple store 2.0" aesthetic complete with tree planters, custom wood furniture, iconic wood display tables and more.

Like other recently opened flagship locations, the Dubai Mall outlet sports a "Genius Grove," Forum for classroom sessions and performances, Avenues for accessories and Boardroom for business sales. Unique to the Dubai space are large carbon fiber "solar wings" that open onto a balcony overlooking the Dubai Fountain. The wings automatically respond to weather conditions in the United Arab Emirates, shielding visitors on sunny days and opening in the evening.

Thursday's opening marked the first Today at Apple program to take place in the Middle East. Announced earlier this week, Today at Apple consists of more than 60 different sessions designed to inform and entertain. For example, customers can take part in hands-on photography classes and attend basic coding lessons, while "pro series" events focus on advanced use of Apple's pro level software like Final Cut Pro X and Logic Pro X.

Today at Apple also covers music performances featuring local musicians. The Dubai Mall outlet featured one such performance today.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Wow, great the photos!
    mejsric
  • Reply 2 of 13
    akamine_jrakamine_jr Posts: 11unconfirmed, member
    A truly gorgeous store. Apple could partner with a coffee brand. It would be amazing 
    mejsric
  • Reply 3 of 13
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Absolutely stunnng space.  The whole mall and surroundings are incredible.  
    mejsric
  • Reply 4 of 13
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    I want to visit one day. Truly stunning.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    That's a pretty awesome looking store. The patio looks like a great place to photograph the Dubai Fountain. 
  • Reply 6 of 13
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    I usually avoid leaving the airport when I'm in Dubai but I'm going to have to check this out the next time I'm in town. Looks awesome.
  • Reply 7 of 13

It's just phenomenal. There is so much space to breathe (well, it may always be crowded, but that's another matter). It isn't like any store I've ever been to.

I'll say Angela is doing a stellar job!

steveau
  • Reply 8 of 13
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    It does look really nice. I assume it'll be staffed by foreigners, like everything else I saw there except government offices. Hey, when you have the scratch, why not hire others to work in your place?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    simply258simply258 Posts: 133member
    fred1 said:
    It does look really nice. I assume it'll be staffed by foreigners, like everything else I saw there except government offices. Hey, when you have the scratch, why not hire others to work in your place?
    Emaratis who can speak English well can find higher paying jobs.
    steveau
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Amazing Apple building in Dubai which is a shopping paradise, of course. There should be a book on the architecture collection of Apple Stores throughout the world. They are all look locally unique.
    edited April 2017 patchythepirate
  • Reply 11 of 13
    That store is no joke. Totally unique. Wall Street gives zero value to Apple retail stores. Go figure.  As far as retail stores go, Apple has zero competition.  It would be nearly impossible for any other company to reproduce what Apple has in brick-and-mortar stores.  It would take years and still be an extremely high-risk gamble.  With all this, Apple is still seen as a zero-growth company.  Insane.

If this Dubai store looks this great, I can only guess at what the revamped 5th Ave. store will look like. Two underground levels? A much bigger cube at street level with a view?

If SVP Angela A's planning is behind new store designs and store revamps then maybe she is earning her money. Of course, I expect her retail store ideas should earn money for Apple in order for her to be worthy of that huge salary she receives.
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Amazing Apple building in Dubai which is a shopping paradise, of course. There should be a book on the architecture collection of Apple Stores throughout the world. They are all look locally unique.
    They could. But people would just complain how expensive it is