Amazon Echo Look and iOS app judges your wardrobe choices with machine learning

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    April 1st was a few weeks ago right?
  • Reply 22 of 31
    Clearly not targeted at geeks who never leave their mom's basement. 

I dont need style style recommendations but I would like to keep a record of what clothes I've worn. 
    I would like a device that could tell me how many times I've worn a suit since it was last dry cleaned. 
    it would also be helpful to get a determination of ROI for an item of clothing
    Example:
    You paid $60 for those jeans and have worn it 48 times in the past year. 
    You paid $110 for those jeans and have worn it once in the past year.
    Soli
  • Reply 23 of 31
    Soli said:
    mknelson said:
    Are you f'ing kidding me?! Seriously?
     :s 

You said it!

Huge privacy ramifications. What do you bet it'll start making product recommendations and product links.
    While I see no viable market for this product as advertised, how the fuck is a mic and camera on this device inherently less secure than all the mice and cameras you have throughout the rest of your house and on your person, potentially for decades now?
    I don't have cameras "Throughout the rest of my house." What kind of a house do you live in? Yes I have a camera on my phone and iPad, but when I'm not explicitly using them they are in a pants pocket or lying on a surface. This is encouraging you to put the device in your bedroom, propped upright so that it is pointed at you all the time. You are expected to get dressed in front of it, perhaps even have sex in front of it, if it's in your bedroom. You can't see how that *might* be a privacy concern? *sheesh*. :( 
  • Reply 24 of 31
    Outside of security issues, this is going to be a good product. But maybe at a lower price point. Why not an app? Either way, my cousin told me to build something like this a year ago. And she wasn't the only one either. 
  • Reply 25 of 31
    fmalloyfmalloy Posts: 105member
    I want a Mr. Blackwell mode - where he tells me the outfit I've chosen is more suitable covering a mare in a barn.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    greg uvan said:
    Soli said:
    mknelson said:

You said it!

Huge privacy ramifications. What do you bet it'll start making product recommendations and product links.
    While I see no viable market for this product as advertised, how the fuck is a mic and camera on this device inherently less secure than all the mice and cameras you have throughout the rest of your house and on your person, potentially for decades now?
    I don't have cameras "Throughout the rest of my house." What kind of a house do you live in? Yes I have a camera on my phone and iPad, but when I'm not explicitly using them they are in a pants pocket or lying on a surface. This is encouraging you to put the device in your bedroom, propped upright so that it is pointed at you all the time. You are expected to get dressed in front of it, perhaps even have sex in front of it, if it's in your bedroom. You can't see how that *might* be a privacy concern? *sheesh*. :( 
    Do you understand what object permanence is? It usually forms by about 9 months of age and yet you've trie to make an argument that omnidirectional mics and cameras don't exist when you're not using a device. You've also oddly glossed over the fact that when you use, say, an iPhone there's a camera facing you and one pointing at whatever is facing your direction. But, sure, go ahead and say "I don't have cameras throughout my house."

Even more ridiculous is your hypocritical comments about "not explicitly"using them but then claiming that the Echo Look would be always on even when not "not explicitly" using it. Brilliant¡
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 27 of 31
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    SithFran said:
    Outside of security issues, this is going to be a good product. But maybe at a lower price point. Why not an app? Either way, my cousin told me to build something like this a year ago. And she wasn't the only one either. 
    There's the answer. This isn't targeting guys, guys:

They show one guy for like 1% of the marketing video, this is primarily aimed at women who typically do care about how they look vs picking whatever one of 3 total outfits is closest on the floor and doesn't smell bad (my personal fashion criteria). Amazon has a lot of data on what people buy, these products don't just appear out of thin air.

I could see it working for hairstyles too where women get advice from hair experts as to a better style. It's amazing how much of a difference a decent hairstyle and outfit can make:

Of course there are privacy concerns but millions of people upload pictures of themselves every day to the public voluntarily:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3619679/What-vain-bunch-really-24-billion-selfies-uploaded-Google-year.html
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3053822/Women-spend-FIVE-HOURS-week-taking-selfies-one-five-upload-social-media-make-ex-partner-jealous.html

It's generally considered to be harmful to be obsessed with looks so much but this is just reality. People have a desire to be liked and this idealistic notion that people should just be themselves and not care about looks ends up with people being rejected and miserable as the video above very clearly demonstrates.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 28 of 31
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Probably not going to be very attractive for people here, but women I've spoken with about this were interested. The price is a bit high, though.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Probably not going to be very attractive for people here, but women I've spoken with about this were interested. The price is a bit high, though.
    I'll make some inquires to see if I can find anyone that would be interested in this product and why.
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 30 of 31
    greg uvangreg uvan Posts: 86member
    Soli said:
    greg uvan said:
    Soli said:
    mknelson said:

You said it!

Do you understand what object permanence is? It usually forms by about 9 months of age and yet you've trie to make an argument that omnidirectional mics and cameras don't exist when you're not using a device. You've also oddly glossed over the fact that when you use, say, an iPhone there's a camera facing you and one pointing at whatever is facing your direction. But, sure, go ahead and say "I don't have cameras throughout my house."

Even more ridiculous is your hypocritical comments about "not explicitly"using them but then claiming that the Echo Look would be always on even when not "not explicitly" using it. Brilliant¡
    Say what? I didn't say camera's "don't exist" like they somehow vanish mysteriously when they're not on. And I didn't say camera's aren't there when I'm using the device. I said, when my phone isn't in use it's in my pocket. Aka, the camera will "see" the inside of a dark denim sleeve. The equivalent of people putting masking tape over the camera of their laptop when not using it. Would I feel comfortable putting a device with a camera on a stand that pointing into my bedroom 24/7 and is connected to the internet, no I would not. Even if Amazon is incredibly trustworthy, which I have no reason to think they're aren't reasonably trustworthy, what about a simple security breach? I do not like Nest cams/ dropcams for the exact same reason. It's not a pick on against Amazon. Why was it necessary to put in the comment about object permanence and the development of children? It doesn't add to your argument to be insulting. The privacy concern is a legitimate concern.