Apple extends Apple Watch warranty to cope with swollen batteries

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited April 2017
Apple on Friday alerted authorized repair facilities to an Apple Watch service coverage extension for first-generation devices suffering from battery swelling, a rare issue impacting a small segment of owners.

Apple Watch screen thought to be impacted by battery swelling. | Source: Apple Support Community

According to an email sent out to Apple Authorized Service Providers, a copy of which was obtained by 9to5Mac, Apple is extending repair coverage for first-generation Apple Watch devices impacted by swollen batteries. With the new policy in place, users are provided two years of service beyond the gratis one-year limited warranty.

The email includes internal links to related Apple Watch issues, including a service articles covering enclosure separation due to expanding battery packs and processing repairs related to swollen batteries.

Like most lithium-ion battery packs, the pouches used to power Apple Watch are susceptible to swelling and expanding when punctured, overcharged, overheated or otherwise damaged. Apple products are tested and manufactured with tight tolerances to ensure consumer safety, however. For example, when a properly engineered and produced battery pack fails the incident does not snowball into an explosion or, as seen with Samsung Galaxy Note 7 devices, combustion.

The number of users affected by expanding Apple Watch battery packs is unknown, but a few reports have shown up on Reddit and Apple's own support forums. According to reports, display displacement or cracking are telltale signs of battery expansion.

Apple has not made an announcement regarding the Apple Watch repair extension, suggesting the issue is not widespread.

The new warranty protocol comes just days after the original Apple Watch celebrated its second anniversary earlier this week.
mvitanovec

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    I received one of the first Apple Watches, a 38mm sport in silver aluminum, arrived at 5pm on the 24th, or was it the 25th, of April 2015, having ordered it in the first hour of pre-orders.  Serial # FH7PJJY2G99D.  Slightly worse for wear, but still my favorite piece of technology and on my wrist all day everyday.  If the last seven months of heat and humidity here in the Philippines hasn't swelled the battery, I expect nothing will. 

edited April 2017 king editor the gratepscooter63jdgazchiaGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 38
    mainyehcmainyehc Posts: 133member
    I received one of the first Apple Watches, a 38mm sport in silver aluminum, arrived at 5pm on the 24th, or was it the 25th, of April 2015, having ordered it in the first hour of pre-orders.  Serial # XXXXXXXXXXXX.  Slightly worse for wear, but still my favorite piece of technology and on my wrist all day everyday.  If the last seven months of heat and humidity here in the Philippines hasn't swelled the battery, I expect nothing will. 
    Damn. It seems that your watch is suffering from sweat-induced corrosion just like the one seen on other products like the Magic Mouse (I know mine is full of little holes, but I've had it since 2009) and MacBook Pro palm rests. And here I was thinking that the whiz-bang 7000 series alumin[i]um was impervious to sweat…

It really must depend on how acidic your sweat is, too… Mine isn't that much newer (I got it on Dec. 2015), I've worn it almost every day as well, and it looks much, much better; do check it out:

But it does give me pause, because my Magic Mouse didn't start exhibiting corrosion until after some four or five years of (arguably less) continuous use. If my watch ends up looking like yours, I see no other option than getting the stainless steel version the next time round… I should start saving for one, I guess. :p
    As for my second-hand 2011 13'' MacBook Pro, and seeing that I'll have to use it much more frequently very soon, I guess that if I don't get myself one of those protective stickers for its palm rest STAT I'm pretty much screwed. :|

P.S.: By the way, if I were you, I wouldn't be posting photos with uncensored serial numbers (or, worse even, the actual serial numbers themselves in text form) of your Apple gadgets (or from any other brand, really) around the internet. Just some friendly advice. ;)
    edited April 2017 jdgaz
  • Reply 3 of 38
    I received one of the first Apple Watches, a 38mm sport in silver aluminum, arrived at 5pm on the 24th, or was it the 25th, of April 2015, having ordered it in the first hour of pre-orders.  Serial # FH7PJJY2G99D.  Slightly worse for wear, but still my favorite piece of technology and on my wrist all day everyday.  If the last seven months of heat and humidity here in the Philippines hasn't swelled the battery, I expect nothing will. 

Are you sure your watch is still sealed?  Your sensor array looks fogged up. 
  • Reply 4 of 38
    I have two MacBooks with swelled battery problem  :(
  • Reply 5 of 38
    iushnt1iushnt1 Posts: 12member
    For example, when a properly engineered and produced battery pack fails the incident does not snowball into an explosion or, as seen with Samsung Galaxy Note 7 devices, combustion. 
    Nice deflection.
    KawhiUCONN
  • Reply 6 of 38
    Isn't that just swell? lolz... I sure hope Apple gets this problem under control. Nothing is 100% perfect so as long as customer service replaces or repairs whatever needs fixing, it should be OK. Please, no combustion incidents. If that happens to just one AppleWatch, the news media will quickly rip AppleWatch to shreds as the ultimate failed product.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 38
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    And, truly, the most awful horrible terrible about this is...
    We may have to stop making jokes about Samsung batteries :'(
  • Reply 8 of 38
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Isn't that just swell? lolz... I sure hope Apple gets this problem under control. Nothing is 100% perfect so as long as customer service replaces or repairs whatever needs fixing, it should be OK. Please, no combustion incidents. If that happens to just one AppleWatch, the news media will quickly rip AppleWatch to shreds as the ultimate failed product.
    The Samsung debacle wasn't just caused by swelling batteries; the real problem was how the company chose to handle it. 
    chiamagman1979anton zuykovwatto_cobrajbdragon
  • Reply 9 of 38
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    iushnt1 said:
    For example, when a properly engineered and produced battery pack fails the incident does not snowball into an explosion or, as seen with Samsung Galaxy Note 7 devices, combustion. 
    Nice deflection.
    Deflected what exactly ? Was the statement not true ?

I read this to mean that Apple took into account that this very thing could happen to the battery through damage or failure. So the watch was designed with a case that had enough room to allow the battery to expand and the display pop off.... Rather than burst into flames or melt like the Note did.

"As a result of the too-tight tolerances, the slightest expansion of the battery or contact between the battery and the enclosure from external forces appears to inevitably impinge on the battery's membrane, or compress it so tightly that the positive and negative terminal plates inside the battery would touch. The resulting energy discharge appears to be what caused the fires in the device".  
    StrangeDayschianetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 38
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I have a first gen Watch and I regularly read threads on the Apple Discussion Forums. I can’t remember reading a single post about this issue. It has flown under the radar completely. Usually sites like AI who comb through those threads post articles about “some users are experiencing...” the issue du jour. But not in this case. Apple says it is affecting a very small number of users and I believe them. Yet immediately we see “me too” posts popping up. Really? Always makes me wonder about the anonymity of the Internet and motives of some people. 
    magman1979GeorgeBMacRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 38
    getvoxoa said:
    boredumb said:
    Trolls
    StrangeDayschiamagman1979macxpressRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 38
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    lkrupp said:
    I have a first gen Watch and I regularly read threads on the Apple Discussion Forums. I can’t remember reading a single post about this issue. It has flown under the radar completely. Usually sites like AI who comb through those threads post articles about “some users are experiencing...” the issue du jour. But not in this case. Apple says it is affecting a very small number of users and I believe them. Yet immediately we see “me too” posts popping up. Really? Always makes me wonder about the anonymity of the Internet and motives of some people. 
    I have a first gen Watch as well and have never heard of anything like this. My main complaint with the first gen model is its too damn slow! Its sooooo laggy with nearly everything, even after this most recent watchOS update. I think I'll be looking for an upgrade this fall maybe. 

What I really never understood too is where people would complain about the battery life of the first gen Watch. Very rarely do I ever go below 50% battery life with it and its on from early morning until pretty much just before I go to sleep. Maybe I just don't do as much as others I guess. 
    edited April 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 38
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    boredumb said:
    This sentence makes no sense at all...come back when you learn English. You can't even troll correctly!

getvoxoa said:
    So? What does that have to do with this thread? Look, eventually you're going to get a battery or two that screw up and swell. Bottomline, this isn't a major issue for Apple and really never has been. When something occurs, they a look at the issue, see how widespread the issue is, find the root of the issue which they can do since they control their own hardware, and report a solution. Yes, it may not be immediately but it takes time to investigate these issues and come up with a solution. 
    edited April 2017 StrangeDaysmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 38
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,664member
    lkrupp said:
    getvoxoa said:
    boredumb said:
    Trolls
    Eh?
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 15 of 38
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    Glad to know that if it does happen to my first generation watch that I have a bit more warranty in the bag. Otherwise very happy with my 42mm Aluminum
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 38
    macxpress said:
    lkrupp said:
    I have a first gen Watch as well and have never heard of anything like this. My main complaint with the first gen model is its too damn slow! Its sooooo laggy with nearly everything, even after this most recent watchOS update. I think I'll be looking for an upgrade this fall maybe. 

What I really never understood too is where people would complain about the battery life of the first gen Watch. Very rarely do I ever go below 50% battery life with it and its on from early morning until pretty much just before I go to sleep. Maybe I just don't do as much as others I guess. 
    My experience exactly. Battery life is quite sufficient for a full day’s use. This is precisely why I question the veracity of some posters. The argument is always why would someone lie about this. The answer is that people lie all the time for varying reasons and the anonymity of the Internet encourages that kind of behavior. Look no further than online customer reviews. Amazon has tried various methods of screening fake reviews. Companies have been caught red-handed paying for positive reviews of their products and negative reviews of their competitor’s products. Samsung comes to mind when they were caught paying for negative reviews of Toshiba.
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 38
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    macxpress said:
    lkrupp said:

Try to "Reduce Motion" and "Increase Contrast" In Settings/General/Accessibility. Some third party applications may keep it too busy with background refreshes and alike. Test this first by disabling Background App Refresh for some applications, then for all applications and finally removing third party applications one by one. As a last resort you may try to restart the watch occasionally.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 38
    doggonedoggone Posts: 377member
    My first gen Apple Watch has been through a full washing machine and dryer cycle.  Thankfully in a pocket so scratches were minimal.  After letting the watch cool down and a full charging cycle, it worked perfectly.  That Apple are addressing the few battery issues is good especially since serious burns can happen when attached to the wrist.

For those with the first gen retina MBP, Apple are now replacing the screen for free (~$700) if delamination effects are apparent.  Also, apparently in September, they will be offering free battery replacement for the model.  The replacement parts supply are constrained and introducing a free service may reduce demand until they can catch up on supply.  Saying that, I put my unit in for battery replacement and they completed the repair (and screen fix) within a week.  Note that they actually replace the top surface including trackpad and keyboard in the battery replacement.  That was great for me since the keyboard keys were losing responsiveness.

It's example like this that make me really appreciate Apple's customer service.  There is no way any other PC manufacturer would offer free parts replacements for models that are over 4 years old.

chiaGeorgeBMacRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 38
    lkrupp said:
    I have a first gen 42mm watch. This just happened to mine on Monday. Screen popped off and I thought it was just because I was in the heat and the glue melted or something. Already ordered the new Nike Lab Apple Watch to replace it and then I see this article. I'm glad Apple stepped up and did this. I'm sure people just think that their watch is due to be replaced if they have a 1st gen watch and don't make much of a fuss about it. 
    You seem to be skeptical of the issue since it hasn't happened to you, so perhaps everyone should question your motives. Apple admits its mistakes and doesn't need a random person defending their reliability. Sometimes they suck. Get over it. They usually step up to the plate and make it right. 
    chiaavon b7GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 20 of 38
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member
    mainyehc said:
    I received one of the first Apple Watches, a 38mm sport in silver aluminum, arrived at 5pm on the 24th, or was it the 25th, of April 2015, having ordered it in the first hour of pre-orders.  Serial # XXXXXXXXXXXX.  Slightly worse for wear, but still my favorite piece of technology and on my wrist all day everyday.  If the last seven months of heat and humidity here in the Philippines hasn't swelled the battery, I expect nothing will. 
    Damn. It seems that your watch is suffering from sweat-induced corrosion just like the one seen on other products like the Magic Mouse (I know mine is full of little holes, but I've had it since 2009) and MacBook Pro palm rests. And here I was thinking that the whiz-bang 7000 series alumin[i]um was impervious to sweat…

It really must depend on how acidic your sweat is, too… Mine isn't that much newer (I got it on Dec. 2015), I've worn it almost every day as well, and it looks much, much better; do check it out:

But it does give me pause, because my Magic Mouse didn't start exhibiting corrosion until after some four or five years of (arguably less) continuous use. If my watch ends up looking like yours, I see no other option than getting the stainless steel version the next time round… I should start saving for one, I guess. :p
    As for my second-hand 2011 13'' MacBook Pro, and seeing that I'll have to use it much more frequently very soon, I guess that if I don't get myself one of those protective stickers for its palm rest STAT I'm pretty much screwed. :|

P.S.: By the way, if I were you, I wouldn't be posting photos with uncensored serial numbers (or, worse even, the actual serial numbers themselves in text form) of your Apple gadgets (or from any other brand, really) around the internet. Just some friendly advice. ;)
    Nice looking strap. Which is that?
    mainyehc