Apple's Siri-based Echo competitor to carry premium price, feature high-end audio with 1 w...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited June 2020
Apple's anticipated personal assistant accessory is expected to be a powerful and capable device, boasting "excellent" acoustics and computing power similar to recent iPhone models, positioning it for the high-end market with pricing higher than Amazon's Echo. And there's apparently a good chance it could be announced next month.

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo weighed in with details on Apple's first home artificial intelligence product in a note to investors on Monday, a copy of which was obtained by AppleInsider. He believes there is more than a 50 percent chance that Apple will announce the product at its Worldwide Developers Conference in June, before launching it in the second half of the year.

The device will apparently feature one woofer and seven tweeters for rich sound. It's also believed that it will be powered by a custom ARM processor equal in power to at least the A8 CPU on the iPhone 6 or newer.

These characteristics lead Kuo to believe that Apple will sell its home accessory at a higher price than the Amazon Echo lineup. He believes that the product will be positioned for the high-end market with a better entertainment experience and superior sound quality.

Amazon's main lineup of Alexa-enabled devices.
Amazon's main lineup of Alexa-enabled devices.

Kuo believes that Apple could ship as many as 12 million units over the product's first year of availability. He also sees Apple selling extended models in the future, expanding the lineup much like Amazon has done with the Echo.

In particular, he sees Apple's custom W1 Bluetooth chip playing a key role in the product, particularly as new hardware is introduced. The W1 chip allows wireless accessories to automatically connect as long as they are logged into the same iCloud account.

Kuo said Apple has a number of distinct advantages over Amazon's Alexa platform, including the fact that Siri supports 18 languages, compared to only English for Alexa. He also believes iOS and macOS integration, with large established install bases, will play to Apple's strengths.

He also believes that support for the existing AirPlay standard for music streaming over Wi-Fi will help Apple gain footing in a new space. And he expects that Apple's best-in-class hardware design will one-up Amazon as well.

With WWDC set to kick off on June 5, rumors are heating up about what Apple could announce at its annual developer event. Beyond hardware, it's expected that iOS 11, macOS 10.13, watchOS 4, and tvOS 11 will all be unveiled.

Last week, reports began to emerge that Apple was "finalizing" the design of its Amazon Echo rival, which will be based on its Siri voice-driven personal assistant. It's also rumored that the speaker design will be based on Beats technology.

It was also suggested that the device could look similar to the Mac Pro, with a cylindrical design and concave top. The device is said to be known by the codename "B238."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 112
    andrewj5790andrewj5790 Posts: 296member
    What's the price going to be? Cost plus about 30%. Apple is a business that is actually interested in making money, strangely enough, so, yes, the price will be higher than the echo (which is either unprofitable or barely profitable, because, Amazon). 

Also, if they sell less than 1 billion units per quarter, get ready for Wall St to call it another Apple fail.
    edited May 2017 B3BADASSwatto_cobrathinkman@chartermi.netjahbladeGuxmananantksundaramcalijony0
  • Reply 2 of 112
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I’m glad, if this rumor is true, Apple is going once more for the high-end market instead of the me-too low-end. Sure, we’ll hear all the tripe about Alexa being better than Siri. Of course all new Apple products come pre-certified as D.O.A. failures. The next few posts will confirm that I’m sure. So I’ll wait for the alleged product to be announced and see what it actually does and what it costs.
    watto_cobrathinkman@chartermi.netjony0
  • Reply 3 of 112
    bill42bill42 Posts: 131member
    I'm in, whatever it costs.  I've been waiting for Apple to make something with speakers and Airplay since they announced Airplay eons ago. It's been a long time coming. I don't usually jump into a new Apple product that I don't really need but this will be one of them.
    watto_cobrathinkman@chartermi.netGuxman
  • Reply 4 of 112
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    Please make a model with a router, Apple.

Thank you in advance.
    watto_cobrathinkman@chartermi.netanantksundaramcyberzombiestantheman
  • Reply 5 of 112
    leshikleshik Posts: 6member
    If it's a sound-focused device, might it be a 'beats' product?  That way, they can sell it as an accessory, and limit the downside.  Beats still holds premium pricing. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 112
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    7 Tweeters…
    I'm in
    watto_cobrathinkman@chartermi.netstanhopeGuxman
  • Reply 7 of 112

AI_liaswatto_cobraGuxmananantksundaramhmurchisonStrangeDayscalistanthemanjony0
  • Reply 8 of 112
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I wonder if it will also end up being Apple's replacement to their existing AirPort lineup?
    watto_cobraGuxman
  • Reply 9 of 112
    loquiturloquitur Posts: 137member
    Shades of the Apple iPod Hi-Fi, supposedly with a state-of-the-art Class D amp,
    still going strong in my kitchen after all these years, ignoring the dock and the
    boom box batteries.   Sounds bigly!
    edited May 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 112
    cjcampbellcjcampbell Posts: 113member
    Um, okay. Why not just give Apple TV the same capability? And let it play music on your stereo system?

And will it let you order stuff on Amazon Prime? Or, better yet, let your 'friends' order three tons of creamed corn on Amazon Prime?
  • Reply 11 of 112
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,486member
    W1 chip. I never even paid attention to this, but now it makes total sense.

The W1 isn't going to be just for headphones for quick pairing and low power consumption. It's going to be the chip that enables quick, reliable and secure connections to all sorts of HomeKit devices. I bet Apple makes the W1 available to accessory makers.
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 12 of 112
    cescocesco Posts: 52member
    Hopefully it will support HomeKit and it's IOT devices.
    watto_cobrastanhopecali
  • Reply 13 of 112
    bill42bill42 Posts: 131member
    7 Tweeters…
    I'm in
    shit they would have had me with 4 tweeters!
    watto_cobrahmurchisoncali
  • Reply 14 of 112
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Um, okay. Why not just give Apple TV the same capability? And let it play music on your stereo system?

And will it let you order stuff on Amazon Prime? Or, better yet, let your 'friends' order three tons of creamed corn on Amazon Prime?

And how exactly are you going to put 7 speakers on an AppleTV? AppleTV is its own appliance. It doesn't need to be screwed up with 50 other non-related items added to it. This is Apple, not every other company. 
    watto_cobrabrucemc
  • Reply 15 of 112
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    This is good news, except I suspect they'll want an Apple Music subscription, in which case it is not-so-good news. I won't get an Apple Music subscription, just too much money. If they'll bundle an Apple Music with iCloud storage space, and maybe something else, I might.
    stanhopeGuxman
  • Reply 16 of 112
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    tmay said:

Thank you in advance.
    Please don't.
  • Reply 17 of 112
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    tmay said:

Thank you in advance.
    macxpress said:
    I wonder if it will also end up being Apple's replacement to their existing AirPort lineup?
    I concur, but am having a hard time envisioning how it would work. Pretty sure at least one of my AirPorts has to be plugged into my cable modem with a wire. Unless of course, this is a accessory like the AirPort Express. Meaning they all have an ethernet port on them? Maybe. Maybe it can be done with USB-C? Dunno.

And I would be shocked if there was any product that came from Apple that didn't carry a premium price. It's what they do. 
  • Reply 18 of 112
    AI_lias said:
    This is good news, except I suspect they'll want an Apple Music subscription, in which case it is not-so-good news. I won't get an Apple Music subscription, just too much money. If they'll bundle an Apple Music with iCloud storage space, and maybe something else, I might.
    Want or demand? I'm sure Amazon wants you to use their streaming music service but they also allow Spotify and many others as options.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 19 of 112
    7 Tweeters…
    I'm in
    What makes the Echo such an amazing tool starts with the 7-far field microphones. That's the foremost component people should be considering for this product. After that, then we can consider how good the speakers are.
    wigginireland
  • Reply 20 of 112
    W1 chip. I never even paid attention to this, but now it makes total sense.

The W1 isn't going to be just for headphones for quick pairing and low power consumption. It's going to be the chip that enables quick, reliable and secure connections to all sorts of HomeKit devices. I bet Apple makes the W1 available to accessory makers.
    Why the W1 and not something else designed for this device? Apple already has W, M, T, S, and A-series chips. The W1 only has WiFi, as far as I know. If anything, I'd think something like the Watch's S-series would be better suited for this since it include WiFi and BT, but even that seems woefully underpowered and limited for this application.