Leaked images show first glimpses at Fitbit's Apple Watch competitor & earbuds

Posted:
in Apple Watch
New images are said to depict Fitbit's first full-scale smartwatch, as well as its first set of Bluetooth earbuds -- both apparently intended to compete with Apple.

The watch was "originally planned for this spring to likely get ahead of whenever Apple plans their normal fall announcement," a source informed Yahoo Finance. The device has allegedly been delayed until the fall because of hardware issues, including GPS signal and waterproofing. It may also lack a planned app store due to an SDK not being ready in time.

The $300 product is expected to offer many of the same features of the Apple Watch Series 2, including GPS, a heart rate sensor, an aluminum unibody shell, and a display with 1,000 nits of brightness. It should even include some form of wireless payments.

Two distinctive features will be the ability to cache and play music from Pandora -- which recently launched its Premium on-demand service -- plus a four-day battery life. The Apple Watch typically runs for a day or less on a charge.

Fitbit's earbuds should ship alongside the new watch for $150, resembling Apple's BeatsX headphones in draping around the neck. Two colors should be available, "Nightfall Blue" and "Lunar Gray."

A "Series 3" Apple Watch is expected to be announced later this year. Some rumored features include a faster processor, a better battery, and possibly built-in 4G cellular data, which would theoretically enable full independence from an iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    This will make a great FitBit phone accessory.

Wait...
    cyberzombieRacerhomieXjbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 20
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    FitBitPay? I don't think so.
    jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 20
    eyekeyeyekey Posts: 20member
    While I do understand why companies tend to put their logo on products with a "in your face" attitude (marketing-1d10ts), I will never understand why customers tolerate this. (Same as with most Android-phones).
    magman1979RacerhomieXjbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 20
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Eeew...
    magman1979SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 20
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    I support all competitors in this space as I believe Apple is quickly blowing past everyone and making the space not viable for anyone else. Especially as Apple is using their stockpile of money for biosensors. That's expensive stuff. It's great and all that Apple is going this direction, but competition is always a good thing. No way Fitbit can ever catch up. It seems only Google can take up that mantle as the Watch competitor, but it's not looking good. Speaking of not looking good, that new Fitbit watch.
    RacerhomieXwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 20
    thttht Posts: 5,441member
    Uhh, WTF are Fitbit designers thinking? The headphones are ok maybe (among a veritable ocean of headphones), but that watch is hideous.
    jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 20
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    eyekey said:
    While I do understand why companies tend to put their logo on products with a "in your face" attitude (marketing-1d10ts), I will never understand why customers tolerate this. (Same as with most Android-phones).

Have you not realize we are all unpaid billboards for companies. Everyone walks around with so many logo today we are all now walking billboards. There are some cloths I will not buy because the logo is all over the place. It is not like I not paying for the items and in exchange they cover me in their logo. This is how Google got the idea to make us their product and sell us to the advertisers.

Sorry for the side rant.

RacerhomieXwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 20
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    DOA
    qwweramagman1979SpamSandwichjbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 20
    "It should even include some form of wireless payments." "Do you accept some form of wireless payment?" - Fitbit wearer "Sure! Apple Pay!" - Business "Damn it!" - Fitbit wearer
    cali[Deleted User]watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 20
    melodyof1974melodyof1974 Posts: 114member
    Why make the face square.... ridiculous /s On a serious note, that thing is ugly!
    jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 20
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    Well, not quite as terrible as I initially imagined. I doubt it will see much traction 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 20
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    This is like a 5 year old trying to go toe to toe against a heavyweight boxer and the heavyweight not pulling any punches or having any mercy.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 20
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    THIS is the next Windows/android.

talk trash now but I see this being the new hero of the anti-Apple crowd. Fitbit is gonna try so hard to be Apple Watch and fail worse than android.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 20
    eyekeyeyekey Posts: 20member
    Why make the face square.... ridiculous /s On a serious note, that thing is ugly!
    maestro64 said:
    eyekey said:

Have you not realize we are all unpaid billboards for companies. Everyone walks around with so many logo today we are all now walking billboards. There are some cloths I will not buy because the logo is all over the place. It is not like I not paying for the items and in exchange they cover me in their logo. This is how Google got the idea to make us their product and sell us to the advertisers.

Sorry for the side rant.

I don't have any problem with a logo put discretely onto a product. My clothes are no sports clothes, so you maybe have a logo on the back of some trousers or inside on the label. And even if you can recognize the brand, that is no issue. Issue is when a watch has ¼ of the screen estate nothing but showing a god-damn logo. Missing the point?
    edited May 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 20
    techprod1gytechprod1gy Posts: 838member
    Love all the only Apple can make good products comments.  Other than the "FITBIT" on the face the watch looks pretty damn cool.  Headphones look great also.  There is plenty of room for competitors as long as this is comparable with multiple ecosystems...
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Nameo_Nameo_ Posts: 34member
    Looks ugly af...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 20
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    No. In other news, tens of people, self-described as 'Apple haters' rejoiced today with Fitbit announcing a smokescreen hiding its absolute failure in the market place. Once again highlighting exactly how successful the Apple Watch has been, self-styled 'analysts' are projecting first weekend sales of Fitbit's new Watch and earphones to be roughly comparable to the Newton Message Pad's first month of sales. As the traditional watch industry continues to go down the drain, and the total silence from other tech companies in the smartwatch space continues to deafen, only random, delusional pockets of tech-interested society continue to believe that there will be some actual competition to Apple Watch in the near future, if at all. At the time of writing, Mr Dilger could only manage a weak smirk at Fitbit's latest hopeful newsflash, and seems unlikely to do a 'Fitbit Exposé'.
    watto_cobraalbegarc
  • Reply 18 of 20
    gmgravytraingmgravytrain Posts: 882member
    Another AppleWatch killah... $300 definitely undercuts AppleWatch in price. However, the consumer population doesn't seem to be all that interested in smartwatches, so it really doesn't matter.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 20
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    cali said:
    THIS is the next Windows/android.

talk trash now but I see this being the new hero of the anti-Apple crowd. Fitbit is gonna try so hard to be Apple Watch and fail worse than android.
    I think Garmin is it right now - App Store, waterproof, gps, heart rate, and battery life measured in weeks. But the problem with all these non-Apple solutions is that when their companion iPhone software gets swapped out, there's no longer anything feeding apps for weather, calendar, Uber, etc. (notifications still work). Maybe my 6 is getting too long in the tooth in terms of RAM, but this shortcoming essentially negates the App Store value (other than watch faces and fairly trivial self-contained apps), which is pushing me toward the Apple Watch.