Trump calls tech CEOs to June meetings, orders overhaul of US government IT

Posted:
in General Discussion
U.S. President Donald Trump has reportedly signed a new executive order, creating a council meant to "transform and modernize" government IT systems. Simultaneously, the White House revealed a series of meetings in June, during which some 20 high-tech CEOs -- likely including Apple's Tim Cook -- will be brought in to discuss the topic.

"Americans deserve better digital services from their Government. To effectuate this policy, the federal government must transform and modernize its information technology and how it uses and delivers digital services," the order reads. Reuters noted that the order is dated April 28, but was only announced on Monday.

Cook's participation in the June meetings is unconfirmed, but the CEO has previously met with Trump and his senior advisor, son-in-law Jared Kushner.

In March Kushner was appointed to head a White House group called the Office of American Innovation. Cook is allegedly one of the corporate advisors to the group, some others being former Microsoft chief Bill Gates, and Tesla/SpaceX CEO Elon Musk. The Office's mission is to overhaul federal bureaucracy, possibly even handing some services over to the private sector.

Cook has been a vocal critic of Trump, singling out his policies on women, immigration, transgender rights and more. At the same time he has defended his involvement with the Trump administration, saying he can wield more influence that way than by "being on the sideline." Apple could potentially reap a windfall if the government decides to adopt its products or at least better support them.
baconstang

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Like putting Trump, Cook, Gates and Musk around a table to discuss IT makes any sense. None of those people know anything about IT. But that is apparently how government works. Let's put a bunch of people with zero knowledge about a given project in charge of it.
    Flappohmm
  • Reply 2 of 60
    LoneStar88LoneStar88 Posts: 325member
    More of the obligatory negative references to our President. Nothing but surmise, and totally uncalled for. And nothing like continually dredging up old news to try to prop up the propaganda mill. Good job, AI.

This is a new initiative, and obviously NOTHING has been determined yet as to what will be implemented or what any company's specific involvement will be.

But cheap politics certainly don't have to be a factor in any contracts written.

I'd say both Trump and Cook are pragmatists, so this is Cook's chance to sell his products/services/computing philosophies, etc. to the federal government, whose money is just as good as anyone's. And what about IBM's likely involvement as an important Apple enterprise partner. This could be a choice opportunity for Apple.

Major contracts would also mean jobs creation—right here in River City (USA)!

You liberals need to get off the pity pot and get with the program, if not fully on the Trump Train, because America WILL be great again with our without your help.
    edited May 2017 macseekerboltsfan17JanNLRacerhomieXtechprod1gyjbdragonpatchythepiratetallest skil
  • Reply 3 of 60
    If I were president, I think I would be doing the same thing. Asking these leaders of these companies that have created amazing digital links to the population about ways to better connect the government to the people in the modern world.
    LoneStar88baconstangtechprod1gyjbdragonpatchythepiratetallest skil
  • Reply 4 of 60
    LoneStar88LoneStar88 Posts: 325member
    volcan said:
    Like putting Trump, Cook, Gates and Musk around a table to discuss IT makes any sense. None of those people know anything about IT. But that is apparently how government works. Let's put a bunch of people with zero knowledge about a given project in charge of it.
    Such talks have to start at the top, obviously. Valid recommendations/opinions/questions, etc. can certainly be made and asked. No amount of carping skepticism will alter those facts and future actions.
    baconstangRacerhomieXtechprod1gypatchythepirate
  • Reply 5 of 60
    volcan said:
    You gotta discuss the concept, the big picture idea first. Once you know what you want to do, then you get the real techs involved to make it happen.
    LoneStar88baconstangjbdragon
  • Reply 6 of 60
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,104member
    Be careful on the IT plans.  Don't want to upset Andrew Jackson!
    waltgjohn.bMacProtallest skil
  • Reply 7 of 60
    Metriacanthosaurus said:
    You gotta discuss the concept, the big picture idea first. Once you know what you want to do, then you get the real techs involved to make it happen.
    Yeah like the people who were in charge of the ACA web service. Millions over budget and they hired a totally incompetent Canadian developer. They should have hired Oracle.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 8 of 60
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Who else has noticed that neither Eric Schmidt, nor any other Google representatives have taken meetings. They were tied very tightly to Obama and Hillary and maybe this was noticed by Trump's staff. In any event, that's good news. 

Put the entire government on iPads and iPhones. Then, they'll be taking security seriously.
    edited May 2017 fotoformatjbdragonbaconstangwatto_cobrapatchythepiratetallest skil
  • Reply 9 of 60
    WYelenakWYelenak Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I wish Cook would shut up about political issues that don't directly affect Apple. Shareholders need his full attention to devote to
     new products!
    SpamSandwichFlappojbdragonpatchythepiratetallest skil
  • Reply 10 of 60
    Incidentally, AAPL is up to $146.80 as of this writing.
  • Reply 11 of 60
    volcan said:
    Right. They're the people who steer the ships.
  • Reply 12 of 60
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Do da name Info$tructure strike a familiar note?

edited May 2017
  • Reply 13 of 60
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    More of the obligatory negative references to our President. Nothing but surmise, and totally uncalled for. And nothing like continually dredging up old news to try to prop up the propaganda mill. Good job, AI.

This is a new initiative, and obviously NOTHING has been determined yet as to what will be implemented or what any company's specific involvement will be.

But cheap politics certainly don't have to be a factor in any contracts written.

I'd say both Trump and Cook are pragmatists, so this is Cook's chance to sell his products/services/computing philosophies, etc. to the federal government, whose money is just as good as anyone's. And what about IBM's likely involvement as an important Apple enterprise partner. This could be a choice opportunity for Apple.

You liberals need to get off the pity pot and get with the program, if not fully on the Trump Train, because America WILL be great again with our without your help.
    What are you even talking about? We didn't say anything about the program other than it exists. The author didn't criticize the president at all, not with even one word.

Also, speaking as somebody from inside the beltway, this will generate exactly zero new jobs -- and I have no problem with that. Federal IT sourcing and contracting is brutally inefficient, and if any efficiency can be eked out that's good, but will literally cost hundreds if not thousands of contractors their jobs.
    frankietycho_macuserlostkiwidelreyjonesjohn.bbaconstangwatto_cobrabeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 14 of 60
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    WYelenak said:
    I wish Cook would shut up about political issues that don't directly affect Apple. Shareholders need his full attention to devote to
     new products!
    I didn't know Tim Cook created new products...If you were asked by the POTUS to come in and discuss government IT I think I'd be doing it, especially if it meant possibly getting a very large government contact for maybe Macs, and other iOS devices around the world. This could turn into a big deal. 

Don't worry...your god damn new products are coming! You probably won't buy any, but they're coming. 
    tycho_macuserbaconstang
  • Reply 15 of 60

WYelenak said:
     new products!
    All work and no play makes Jack... Lotsa' Jack!

baconstang
  • Reply 16 of 60
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    volcan said:
    Yeah, cuz putting front-line programmers that can barely speak to a human is a much better idea?  I'll gladly have these folks at the table discussing national-level IT needs vs. any front-line schmuck any day. 

Let us know when you're sitting at that table Mr. Know-it-all.
    lostkiwibaconstang
  • Reply 17 of 60
    sflocal said:
    Yeah, cuz putting front-line programmers that can barely speak to a human is a much better idea?  
    Not sure how you read that into my comments.

There are plenty of knowledgable engineers who are articulate high level managers who probably have a much better idea what needs to be done than these CEOs. Hell the guy they made the director of the project is an ex chief financial officer. Call me skeptical, but the government rarely gets anything right because they always seem to put the wrong people in charge.
    edited May 2017 farmboy
  • Reply 18 of 60
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member

I hate BOTH political parties, but giving massive tax cuts to the already filthy rich and destroying our already stressed land, water, healtlhcare and education sure isn't gonna help anyone other than the billionaires.  And the fact that people not only can't even see but defend it is what truly scares me.
    lostkiwibaconstang
  • Reply 19 of 60
    Also, speaking as somebody from inside the beltway, this will generate exactly zero new jobs -- and I have no problem with that. Federal IT sourcing and contracting is brutally inefficient, and if any efficiency can be eked out that's good, but will literally cost hundreds if not thousands of contractors their jobs.
    As someone from outside the beltway, I see this as increasing Federal efficiency and saving $ Billions that can be better put to use elsewhere.

Have you ever tried to navigate government web sites?

Much as I hate to admit it, the other, other Steve [Ballmer] seems to have gotten it right... Not bad for a non-techie!

http://usafacts.org/government-finances

patchythepirate
  • Reply 20 of 60
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    As someone from outside the beltway, I see this as increasing Federal efficiency and saving $ Billions that can be better put to use elsewhere.

Have you ever tried to navigate government web sites?

Much as I hate to admit it, the other, other Steve [Ballmer] seems to have gotten it right... Not bad for a non-techie!

http://usafacts.org/government-finances

Yeah.

Like I said, I've got no problem with it (cv: "that's good"), but the post I was referring to was under the impression that it would create jobs.