Major apps abandoning Apple Watch, including Google Maps, Amazon & eBay [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    Safari crashed and didn't let me finish my comment :))) 

long story short: let other developers abandon watch apps to let apple know that their product is too slow and mostly useless. 
    Completely false -- not having/needing Amazon on my watch UI doesnt make the the device "useless". there are plenty of use cases the AW is great for, and why we get value out of ours and i see them on people every single day.
    Solirandominternetpersonwatto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 22 of 59
    applefan84applefan84 Posts: 25member
    My watch plays a crucial role in my eBay experience and I don't have the eBay watchOS app installed. There is no need for it at all. 

When I am watching an item, my watch notifies me 15 minutes before auction ends. I have 15 minutes to get to a phone or a computer. There is no urgency to make a bid right at that moment from my watch. In fact that diminishes the experience.

I don't use Google Maps or Amazon so I can't comment there. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 59
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    Soli said:
    I'm trying to think what 3rd-party apps I use on my Watch. Slack, Facebook, and Delivery Status notifications come to mind, and I occasionally use the Starbucks app ,and I know I have a AAA app just in case. I've purged most of them a long time ago simply because I don't use them and because I'm not a fan of the watchOS Home Screen.
    Carrot Weather is pretty great on the Apple Watch, especially the hyper-local alerts. I'm also digging Overcast since they added native podcast downloads. And I use Nike Run Club for running, and it's mostly reliable, but when I get a hard crash two miles into a run, it makes me want to throw my watch in the trash. I tested out Slopes while skiing earlier this year and was very impressed with that app.

Other than that, yeah, not much worthwhile in my experience. Which is fine — watchOS apps clearly are not the gold rush that the iOS App Store was.
    edited May 2017 Solitdknoxnetmage
  • Reply 24 of 59
    minglok50minglok50 Posts: 59member
    Safari crashed and didn't let me finish my comment :))) 

long story short: let other developers abandon watch apps to let apple know that their product is too slow and mostly useless. 
    Completely false -- not having/needing Amazon on my watch UI doesnt make the the device "useless". there are plenty of use cases the AW is great for, and why we get value out of ours and i see them on people every single day.
    Ignore him - volganevarivier just wants you to react. When we don't hopefully he'll just disappear like many of the other trolls 

edited May 2017 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 59
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    I was never able to get Google Maps to provide me turn by turn on the watch. Apple Maps haptic feedback on the watch is excellent for turns and such. I too am seeing more and more Apple Watches in the wild.
    The biggest adopters I see are health care workers. Whenever I go for a checkup or whatever, or dentist, that's where I see them. Workers who are not in front of a computer at all times and cannot be seen pulling out their phone out of their purse or pocket all the time.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 59
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    bought the original Apple Watch, half of the apps it came with I never use and wish I could delete then from the "home" screen. I may have download a 3rd party app in the beginning but there are none now. I didn't buy my watch to bid on auctions or buy printer ink, I can do that on my iPhone. This news has not affect on how I use my watch. 
  • Reply 27 of 59
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    RIP "Your Amazon package has shipped" notification....you will be missed
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 28 of 59
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    It seems like Apple was/is stuck around this app paradigm. Everything is about apps. Tim Cook said this about TV. That the future of TV was apps. Outside of content "apps" like HBO and Netflix I hardly ever use apps on my TV. The same with Watch. I can't remember the last time I used a 3rd party app. The future of every new product isn't always apps.
    ObjectiveTechFanbrucemc
  • Reply 29 of 59
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    nhughes said:
    slurpy said:
    Not every fucking app benefits from being on a watch. I'm seeing more and more Apple Watches out in the wild, so even though this headline is trying to imply that the product and platform is dying, I very much doubt thats the case. Firstly, the implementation and utility of some of these apps are shit, so the fact that they're barely getting any use wouldn't be surprising. Secondly, there's a good chance many of these apps will be pulled then relaunched with a re-imagined concept.
    Definitely was not trying to imply that the platform is dying. Just reporting on a trend.
    Not sure what the total App numbers are for the Apple Watch, but I'd imagine greater than 10,000 since the closest number I could find was 8500 in 2015. So when does 3/10,000ths of something constitute a trend? If one of your AI article gets 3/10,000ths more hits than another one, which is a mere 0.03% micro-tick, would you go running to your boss to demand a raise? Give it a try... ;-)

The Apple Watch is the leading player in what is, in reality, a rather immature technology lifecycle. I'd fully expect that Apple will go through plenty of gyrations trying to figure out exactly how best to exploit the platform to make it as indispensable as the iPhone is without simply making it a miniature iPhone. Apple's friends, enemies, and frenenemies are a few steps behind but they have obviously been dipping their toes in the Apple Watch platform and market to see whether there's anything in it for them longer term, and to learn more about the problem domain itself. Like any emerging technology and market there will be a lot of churn before the trend-worthy paths take it to majority adoption, and potentially, later stages of maturity. I still see Apple Watch as being in the Early Adoption phase of the lifecycle and wearables as a whole as being in the Innovators phase of the adoption lifecycle. It's too early to tell, but Apple is trying to lead, and others like Amazon and Google are happy to follow as long as they aren't taking any big risks.

Amazon, Google, and eBay all have their own ecosystems to support and are in competition with Apple on a number of fronts that apply to wearable devices like Apple Watch. I fully expect to see each of those firms make much greater pushes into application and service areas the Apple Watch seems to serve pretty well, like notifications, payments, identity, presence, messaging, health, and some aspects of next generation augmented reality related capabilities, e.g., non-visual human sensory augmentation. For example, wearing an Apple Watch could allow you to smell/detect substances that are otherwise non-detectable by humans such as carbon monoxide, radiation, pure natural gas, etc. 

edited May 2017 StrangeDays
  • Reply 30 of 59
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    dewme said:
    nhughes said:
    slurpy said:
    Not every fucking app benefits from being on a watch. I'm seeing more and more Apple Watches out in the wild, so even though this headline is trying to imply that the product and platform is dying, I very much doubt thats the case. Firstly, the implementation and utility of some of these apps are shit, so the fact that they're barely getting any use wouldn't be surprising. Secondly, there's a good chance many of these apps will be pulled then relaunched with a re-imagined concept.
    Definitely was not trying to imply that the platform is dying. Just reporting on a trend.
    Not sure what the total App numbers are for the Apple Watch, but I'd imagine greater than 10,000 since the closest number I could find was 8500 in 2015. So when does 3/10,000ths of something constitute a trend? If one of your AI article gets 3/10,000ths more hits than another one, which is a mere 0.03% micro-tick, would you go running to your boss to demand a raise? Give it a try... ;-)

The Apple Watch is the leading player in what is, in reality, a rather immature technology lifecycle. I'd fully expect that Apple will go through plenty of gyrations trying to figure out exactly how best to exploit the platform to make it as indispensable as the iPhone is without simply making it a miniature iPhone. Apple's friends, enemies, and frenenemies are a few steps behind but they have obviously been dipping their toes in the Apple Watch platform and market to see whether there's anything in it for them longer term, and to learn more about the problem domain itself. Like any emerging technology and market there will be a lot of churn before the trend-worthy paths take it to majority adoption, and potentially, later stages of maturity. I still see Apple Watch as being in the Early Adoption phase of the lifecycle and wearables as a whole as being in the Innovators phase of the adoption lifecycle. It's too early to tell, but Apple is trying to lead, and others like Amazon and Google are happy to follow as long as they aren't taking any big risks.

Amazon, Google, and eBay all have their own ecosystems to support and are in competition with Apple on a number of fronts that apply to wearable devices like Apple Watch. I fully expect to see each of those firms make much greater pushes into application and service areas the Apple Watch seems to serve pretty well, like notifications, payments, identity, presence, messaging, health, and some aspects of next generation augmented reality related capabilities, e.g., non-visual human sensory augmentation. For example, wearing an Apple Watch could allow you to smell/detect substances that are otherwise non-detectable by humans such as carbon monoxide, radiation, pure natural gas, etc. 

Not all apps are created equal. This is a clear trend among major, popular, established iOS apps. Go check the top free chart on the App Store and see where the apps singled out for this story rank (spoiler alert: Google Maps currently ranks 9th, Amazon is 17th, eBay is 76th). The fact that all three of them apparently abandoned Apple Watch support, rather than building on or improving the products they already have, is interesting. I'd love to hear the justification for axing the apps and report on that, but unfortunately none of the parties involved felt inclined to respond to me today.
    randominternetpersonnetmage
  • Reply 31 of 59
    themacmanthemacman Posts: 151member
    No advertising opportunity that's why. 
  • Reply 32 of 59
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    It seems like Apple was/is stuck around this app paradigm. Everything is about apps. Tim Cook said this about TV. That the future of TV was apps. Outside of content "apps" like HBO and Netflix I hardly ever use apps on my TV. The same with Watch. I can't remember the last time I used a 3rd party app. The future of every new product isn't always apps.
    Uhh with regards to television, content apps are exactly what Cook was talking about. And he's right, of course. The future is not OTA, or live cable, or clunky cable boxes, or DVR units recording any of the those. The future is going to your device and watching the content on demand via the cloud via an app. Whether that's opening a content provider's app directly (Netflix, HBO Go), or using a seemless discovery mechanism such as Siri/search or TV app, it's still apps. The notion of using a cable box is gross to me. I would never, ever own one. (tho i cut the cord 15 years ago)

Case in point -- Gaiman's new series American Gods just came out on Starz. For $9/mo I can subscribe to their "channel" content via the app, watch the show via the TV app interface, and then cancel when it's over in two months. Which I did in about 20 seconds using my Apple ID account for billing. It's obvious that is the future -- not calling up the cable company, signing up for cable, adding the premium channels, having a cable guy come install a box, programming the remotes, paying multiple fees (cable, premium channels, cable box rental), then watching the show when it happens to air.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 33 of 59
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Trying to shop at Amazon on the watch is a a joke! I don't see the need. Any Amazon Notifications, I get a text on my watch anyway. Google Maps on the watch? I haven't used Google Map's in ages, including on the iPhone. In general I use WAZE, though sometimes I use Apple Map's because it does tap you for left and right turns differently which is useful.

People have to look at things like this,.. You spend hours on a Desktop, Minutes on a Smartphone and Seconds on a Smart Watch. So you should be in general spending seconds on the Apple Watch. Quick glance here and there. You really only need so many key app's on the watch. The one I'm waiting for is Chamberlain homekit support. Supposedly a couple months away. This is the normal way I get in/out of my house. Right now I can do it on a app on my watch, but later I will be able to just say Hey Siri, Open garage door and it'll do it. So for me, that's big.

The simple fact of the matter is, and you can Google this as I did, Amazon sold 9 million Echo's since they first launch 2 years ago. Apple sold 12 million Apple Watches last year alone. So if everyone is saying the Echo is doing great, what does that make the Apple Watch? There's 2 other people now at work with a Apple Watch. No one else has any other type of Smart Watch. I see Apple Watches on people all the time when I'm out. I see people wearing them on TV programs. They're pretty easy to spot. I don't personally know anyone with a Echo or Google Home. Though I did order 2 Echo Dots for a girl at work who was going to ship them oversea's to her Sister who lives out of the country.

Believe it or not, Siri on the Apple Watch works really, really good for me. It's capable to doing the same things a Amazon Echo and Google Home can do, but not being tied down to a power cable and so it works outside and away from home and any room in my house. I don't have to touch the watch, just say Hey Siri and issue a command and it does it. There's no Siri voice, you see everything on the display instead.

The right App's work really well on the Apple Watch. If you haven't gotten it yet, Dark Sky for weather is the best!!! I can look at my watch and see the temp outside. It'll show a umbrella when it's about to rain. The accuracy is very good. Everyone making a Watch App for their iPhone App, it just never made sense. Some things work, and others, not so much. If you have to spend more then seconds on your Apple Watch app, it's a failure in general.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 34 of 59
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    I think the usefulness of some of these will return when the Apple Watch has some independent data capability. I doubt that Google will be much interested since they can't use it to advertise but Amazon and Ebay could find that their apps are useful when away from your phone or WiFi network. Right now, since you pretty much need to keep your phone near you when using most apps, I don't think many people would rather buy something or complete an auction when they likely have their iPhone near to hand anyway.
  • Reply 35 of 59
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    NY1822 said:

RIP "Your Amazon package has shipped" notification....you will be missed
    Why? Don't you get those notifications on your iPhone? Notifications work independently of the the watchOS app.
    randominternetpersonnetmage
  • Reply 36 of 59
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Uhh with regards to television, content apps are exactly what Cook was talking about. And he's right, of course. The future is not OTA, or live cable, or clunky cable boxes, or DVR units recording any of the those. The future is going to your device and watching the content on demand via the cloud via an app. Whether that's opening a content provider's app directly (Netflix, HBO Go), or using a seemless discovery mechanism such as Siri/search or TV app, it's still apps. The notion of using a cable box is gross to me. I would never, ever own one. (tho i cut the cord 15 years ago)

Case in point -- Gaiman's new series American Gods just came out on Starz. For $9/mo I can subscribe to their "channel" content via the app, watch the show via the TV app interface, and then cancel when it's over in two months. Which I did in about 20 seconds using my Apple ID account for billing. It's obvious that is the future -- not calling up the cable company, signing up for cable, adding the premium channels, having a cable guy come install a box, programming the remotes, paying multiple fees (cable, premium channels, cable box rental), then watching the show when it happens to air.
    But Cook didn't say content apps he said apps. And why do I even need to see an app for my content? I just want to watch stuff not have to search through apps to find something. I know Apple is working on this with the TV 'app' and Siri but that just makes my point that not everything needs to be about apps.
  • Reply 37 of 59
    saltyzipsaltyzip Posts: 193member
    Apple controls tie in to its hardware via apps, if the hardware platform doesn't have the apps, or the apps value is negligible, then Apple will struggle to charge a premium for that device, customer retention might take a knock, so less profit. The Apple watch, should be a watch first and foremost, a fitness tracker second and a notification device 3rd, it doesn't fit the apps model based on what can be incorporated into it with current technology limitations.

If the chasing pack can kill the app model, then this will start to kill Apple and certainly open the door for Microsoft to get a footing once more in the mobile space. It will eventually be the advancements in the web that will kill the app model, just not sure when that might happen. Apple are certainly making hay when the sun shines, but it won't last forever.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 38 of 59
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    DilirX said:
    Tell that to Windows Mobile. Lol
    Microsoft canned Windows Mobile in 2010.  If you are going to make a joke please use the correct product names
  • Reply 39 of 59
    OnxyOnxy Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    I have both the original watch and the gen 1.  On the first most of the Apps were so slow, I got frustrated and didn't use them (frankly this is the only reason I upgraded), the gen 1 is better but I still only use very few apps so I can understand why they are doing this.  On the flip side, while some are removing their support, I am finding more and more apps having support that didn't before.  I guess some apps are better suited to being used on a watch than others.  The things that I find the most useful on the watch are the 'find phone' and remote alarm shut off LOL.  Same thing happened with the pebble I had... loaded it up and then stopped using most of the apps on that too.
  • Reply 40 of 59
    OnxyOnxy Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Although I hate to admit this...the best designed app I have found...sigh...is the pokemon app it works well on the watch.  This is anonymous right????
    edited May 2017