Trump calls tech CEOs to June meetings, orders overhaul of US government IT

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Just throwing this out there, but is this accurate?

"Cook has been a vocal critic of Trump, singling out his policies on women, immigration, transgender rights and more."

Which policies, precisely? Other than an attempt to prevent people who were from countries on an Obama administration created terror watchlist from entering the US... how have women, or transgenders been targeted? They may be "offended" by his manners or comments, but there are no policies to point to.
    edited May 2017 patchythepirate
  • Reply 22 of 60
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Also, speaking as somebody from inside the beltway, this will generate exactly zero new jobs -- and I have no problem with that. Federal IT sourcing and contracting is brutally inefficient, and if any efficiency can be eked out that's good, but will literally cost hundreds if not thousands of contractors their jobs.
    As someone from outside the beltway, I see this as increasing Federal efficiency and saving $ Billions that can be better put to use elsewhere.

Have you ever tried to navigate government web sites?

Much as I hate to admit it, the other, other Steve [Ballmer] seems to have gotten it right... Not bad for a non-techie!

http://usafacts.org/government-finances

Yeah.

Like I said, I've got no problem with it (cv: "that's good"), but the post I was referring to was under the impression that it would create jobs.

I think that thousands of existing jobs will be lost -- but even more thousands of new/different jobs will be created...

Remember the fanout from this:

SpamSandwich
  • Reply 23 of 60
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    I don't see why anyone would have a problem getting these very smart business men into a room to discuss our IT govt infrastructure...

There are probably tons of things that could be modernized and places to cut costs.  

I read somewhere each police station is running their own email server, etc.  And, is run by people not qualified to manage their systems.  Long story short, they bungled the backups resulting in data lose, and had to let criminals walk...

Put all none Top Secret stuff in the Azure cloud.  Which company is ready to make some deals?

When I renewed my vehicle registration I found out none of the systems talk to each other...

I updated my drivers license years ago (has the correct address on it).  They mailed my voter stuff & registration to my old address...

Many systems use an Oracle back end database.  What's the saving moving to Microsoft SQL Server?  It's not just licensing cost.  An Oracle DB is considerably more expensive...

iPhone's certainly have better security than anyone else.  Tesla's can't compete on price for the govt fleet, but solar panel roofs and batteries might be intriguing.  

etc. etc. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 24 of 60
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    sflocal said:
    volcan said:
    Like putting Trump, Cook, Gates and Musk around a table to discuss IT makes any sense. None of those people know anything about IT. But that is apparently how government works. Let's put a bunch of people with zero knowledge about a given project in charge of it.
    Yeah, cuz putting front-line programmers that can barely speak to a human is a much better idea?  I'll gladly have these folks at the table discussing national-level IT needs vs. any front-line schmuck any day. 

Let us know when you're sitting at that table Mr. Know-it-all.
    Agreed.  The other option is a bag of career politicians...

Please, NO.
    baconstangpatchythepirate
  • Reply 25 of 60
    delreyjonesdelreyjones Posts: 335member
    volcan said:
    Like putting Trump, Cook, Gates and Musk around a table to discuss IT makes any sense. None of those people know anything about IT. But that is apparently how government works. Let's put a bunch of people with zero knowledge about a given project in charge of it.
    Just because it's how Trump's government works doesn't mean it's how all government works.  Trump likes photo ops.

baconstang
  • Reply 26 of 60
    LoneStar88LoneStar88 Posts: 325member
    More of the obligatory negative references to our President. Nothing but surmise, and totally uncalled for. And nothing like continually dredging up old news to try to prop up the propaganda mill. Good job, AI.

This is a new initiative, and obviously NOTHING has been determined yet as to what will be implemented or what any company's specific involvement will be.

But cheap politics certainly don't have to be a factor in any contracts written.

I'd say both Trump and Cook are pragmatists, so this is Cook's chance to sell his products/services/computing philosophies, etc. to the federal government, whose money is just as good as anyone's. And what about IBM's likely involvement as an important Apple enterprise partner. This could be a choice opportunity for Apple.

Major contracts would also mean jobs creation—right here in River City (USA)!

You liberals need to get off the pity pot and get with the program, if not fully on the Trump Train, because America WILL be great again with our without your help.
    What are you even talking about? We didn't say anything about the program other than it exists. The author didn't criticize the president at all, not with even one word.

Also, speaking as somebody from inside the beltway, this will generate exactly zero new jobs -- and I have no problem with that. Federal IT sourcing and contracting is brutally inefficient, and if any efficiency can be eked out that's good, but will literally cost hundreds if not thousands of contractors their jobs.
    You're proving my point. You can't even resist injecting your own skepticism over something that just started to develop, saying something won't happen even before any programs have started. Great objectivity, there.
    SpamSandwichpatchythepirate
  • Reply 27 of 60
    More of the obligatory negative references to our President. Nothing but surmise, and totally uncalled for. And nothing like continually dredging up old news to try to prop up the propaganda mill. Good job, AI.

This is a new initiative, and obviously NOTHING has been determined yet as to what will be implemented or what any company's specific involvement will be.

But cheap politics certainly don't have to be a factor in any contracts written.

I'd say both Trump and Cook are pragmatists, so this is Cook's chance to sell his products/services/computing philosophies, etc. to the federal government, whose money is just as good as anyone's. And what about IBM's likely involvement as an important Apple enterprise partner. This could be a choice opportunity for Apple.

You liberals need to get off the pity pot and get with the program, if not fully on the Trump Train, because America WILL be great again with our without your help.
    What are you even talking about? We didn't say anything about the program other than it exists. The author didn't criticize the president at all, not with even one word.

I'm with you.  I re-read the AI article and I can't tell what LoneStar88 is so touchy about.  You didn't same anything negative about the president, but you STILL hit a nerve and seemed to anger him.  Kind of peculiar!

SpamSandwichjohn.bbaconstangrobbyx
  • Reply 28 of 60
    I don't see why anyone would have a problem getting these very smart business men into a room to discuss our IT govt infrastructure...

There are probably tons of things that could be modernized and places to cut costs.  

I read somewhere each police station is running their own email server, etc.  And, is run by people not qualified to manage their systems.  Long story short, they bungled the backups resulting in data lose, and had to let criminals walk...

Put all none Top Secret stuff in the Azure cloud.  Which company is ready to make some deals?

When I renewed my vehicle registration I found out none of the systems talk to each other...

I updated my drivers license years ago (has the correct address on it).  They mailed my voter stuff & registration to my old address...

Many systems use an Oracle back end database.  What's the saving moving to Microsoft SQL Server?  It's not just licensing cost.  An Oracle DB is considerably more expensive...

iPhone's certainly have better security than anyone else.  Tesla's can't compete on price for the govt fleet, but solar panel roofs and batteries might be intriguing.  

etc. etc. 
    I have a big problem with it.  The issues you bring up are all valid and technical.  Commenters are correct that high-level CEOs are not qualified to discuss these issues, and neither are lower-level engineers.  But mid-level technical management are qualified.  If the government is serious about this stuff, they'll do it away from the camera, with mid-level technical people from both sides.  We know enough about Donald Trump to know that he is not serious.  He wants a photo op and he's not worried about bullying CEOs to get it.  It's reality TV.  He's taking Cook away from his genuine duties.  But Trump is a powerful bully and so Cook is in a difficult position.  
    baconstang
  • Reply 29 of 60
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    volcan said:
    You gotta discuss the concept, the big picture idea first. Once you know what you want to do, then you get the real techs involved to make it happen.
    Yep, starting somewhere has to happen.  Trumps biggest problem is that politically he is left of congress and as such it will take a lot of pressure to get the government to change its IT infrastructure significantly.   It is going to be an interesting 4 years, I just read they are seriously thinking about undoing some of the banking regulations ( all the way back to the Clinton years) that ended up mixing the playing field, allowing investment banks to target consumers.   Trump can try to clean up banking just like he can try to clean up the governments IT infrastructure but he will only get so far if congress isn't on board.   He also has to struggle with banking management most of whom are Democrats to begin with.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 30 of 60
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

frankie said:

I hate BOTH political parties, but giving massive tax cuts to the already filthy rich and destroying our already stressed land, water, healtlhcare and education sure isn't gonna help anyone other than the billionaires.  And the fact that people not only can't even see but defend it is what truly scares me.
    People can't see what isn't there!!!!

A few points:

1.   Obama care is liberal stupidity.    Giving benefits to people that don't want to work solves nothing and in fact makes things worst for the general population.     
    2.   The stress on the land an water is real but lets face it we aren't exactly deal ing with the number one issue which is massive population growth.    If you are serious about the land and water I strongly suggest cutting off your balls to do your part in helping control population growth.   
    3.   Education is a big problem but the issue here is that everybody right, left and center wants their special interests taken care of in our schools.    We need to refocus schools on the basics reading, writing, arithmetic and science.   But try to pass off this idea at any school anywhere in America and you will get booed out of the building.   Instead band, football, art and music get funded at the expense of core education.   
    4.   As for the tax cuts who is really getting those cuts?   Business is the goal here and tax cuts have been proven to drive business investment.

Frankly if all you look for is the negative then all you will see is evil.   A lot of good is happening in Washington right now, you just need to understand it.
    SpamSandwichpatchythepirate
  • Reply 31 of 60
    sailorpaulsailorpaul Posts: 322member
    1.   Obama care is liberal stupidity.    Giving benefits to people that don't want to work solves nothing and in fact makes things worst for the general population.     
     This comment truly annoys me. We have hired SEVEN people who could not have taken these good paying jobs in our small company if ObamaCare did not exist

They are all highly skilled professionals who like what our company is doing, and took a leap into better jobs 

How many have you hired recently.
    P
    COO
    john.bbaconstang
  • Reply 32 of 60
    waltgwaltg Posts: 90member

Well,,, most of us already think America IS Great and we don't need the "trump train" derailing it... Getting back to the article, yes discussion in cases like this usually starts at the top and drills down through the ranks for implementation..
    baconstangrobbyx
  • Reply 33 of 60
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    volcan said:
    Metriacanthosaurus said:
    You gotta discuss the concept, the big picture idea first. Once you know what you want to do, then you get the real techs involved to make it happen.
    Yeah like the people who were in charge of the ACA web service. Millions over budget and they hired a totally incompetent Canadian developer. They should have hired Oracle.

Oracle couldn't find their arses with both hands.

Oracle was hired to build the Oregon state-run exchange and eventually had to be fired and outside help had to be brought in to fix the mess:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2014/08/25/oregon-files-suit-against-oracle-developer-of-faulty-health-exchange/

If Oracle couldn't handle a state exchange, how would they be able to develop an exchange at the national level?
    edited May 2017 baconstang
  • Reply 34 of 60
     This comment truly annoys me. We have hired SEVEN people who could not have taken these good paying jobs in our small company if ObamaCare did not exist

They are all highly skilled professionals who like what our company is doing, and took a leap into better jobs 

How many have you hired recently.
    P
    COO
    "Highly skilled professionals"... who are on "Obamacare"? I don't think so.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 35 of 60

waltg said:

Well,,, most of us already think America IS Great and we don't need the "trump train" derailing it... Getting back to the article, yes discussion in cases like this usually starts at the top and drills down through the ranks for implementation..
    America is now $17+ trillion in debt, thanks to the fantastic performance of the previous administration. This is an amount that is frankly incomprehensible to people. The debt under all previous administrations in US history amounted to HALF of what it was until Democrats controlled both House and Senate. They dropped a nuke on the entire country, then waltzed off as if nothing happened. To be blunt about it, every politician who supported and helped pass the ACA should be arrested and imprisoned.
    edited May 2017 patchythepirate
  • Reply 36 of 60
    volcan said:
    Yeah like the people who were in charge of the ACA web service. Millions over budget and they hired a totally incompetent Canadian developer. They should have hired Oracle.
    You could have stopped at "incompetent" but your ultimate goal appears to be to slam Canada. Incompetent is incompetent regardless of nationality. In the spirit of full disclosure I am a Canadian citizen, however I would have responded regardless of the nationality that followed "incompetent". Slippery slope this kind of comment, eh? :)
  • Reply 37 of 60
    Edited. Dropped network connection
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 38 of 60

That is one physician in a subchapter S corporation with another family member as the other full-time employee. That means no group health insurance plan

The others are all PA-C (physician assistants)  which means they have masters degrees and all graduated from some of the best medical schools in the country.    Most are working one ER plus working here because they love the details of this medical practice.   I would tell you what our compound growth rate is year-over-year, but that would just be bragging  

The other two are our part-time billing and operations lady and our MA who is a UCLA grad.

So, highly skilled is exactly correct.

And when I say he doen't know what he's talking about:  it's clear casual critics often do not know the details that make the original statement true.
    P
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 39 of 60
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member

I'm with you.  I re-read the AI article and I can't tell what LoneStar88 is so touchy about.  You didn't same anything negative about the president, but you STILL hit a nerve and seemed to anger him.  Kind of peculiar!

Not really peculiar. Trump lovers are on the defensive. I mean, after promising the moon and delivering nothing, Trump looks weak and that makes his fanboys nervous. Remember how he was going to make America great again in the first 100 days...and now the hundred days mark is just some meaningless arbitrary number (says the Tweeter in Chief). Or how we'd have the best health care ever and despite controlling all three branches of government, we still have Obamacare!  It's borderline comedy at this point.  Until you realize it's serious. And then just today our billionaire commerce secretary describes the Syrian strike as after dinner entertainment while Trump brags about how the Chinese president enjoyed the chocolate cake that evening.  Let them eat cake indeed!  Suckers.
  • Reply 40 of 60
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

That is one physician in a subchapter S corporation with another family member as the other full-time employee. That means no group health insurance plan

The others are all PA-C (physician assistants)  which means they have masters degrees and all graduated from some of the best medical schools in the country.    Most are working one ER plus working here because they love the details of this medical practice.   I would tell you what our compound growth rate is year-over-year, but that would just be bragging  

The other two are our part-time billing and operations lady and our MA who is a UCLA grad.

So, highly skilled is exactly correct.

And when I say he doen't know what he's talking about:  it's clear casual critics often do not know the details that make the original statement true.
    P

Honest question:  Why can't they buy their own health care -- why do they expect others to provide it for them?

SpamSandwichtallest skil