Apple's Siri-based Echo competitor to carry premium price, feature high-end audio with 1 w...

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 112
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    volcan said:
    kevin kee said:
    I think people like parroting what the major media wanted us to believe. If everyone said Siri sucks then of course it is true, even though from my own experience Siri is as capable as other AI Voice Assistant if not even better in certain circumstances.
    I disagree that Siri is as capable as Google. First, Siri does not understand conversational context very well and also has trouble with homonyms. Secondly, most of the time Siri searches end up with the words "This is what I found on the web." where as Google usually finds the correct answer and reads the entire subject aloud. Thirdly, Siri simply doesn't have enough data and often ignores your location. For example I asked for magnetic signs but Siri said I could not find any magnetic sign stores, and mind you I'm near LA where there are likely more than a thousand stores that sell magnetic signs. I asked Google and it instantly found hundreds nearby, one less than a mile from my house. I then asked Apple Maps the same query and it sent me more than 5,000 miles away to the UK. In my experience the difference between Apple's AI and Google's is night and day.
    I put my dad's nursing home in my contacts and then a little later asked it to call it,   Siri gave me web search.   It should check my contacts first.
    Hopefully this will come with a much smarter  Siri.   It needs both good hardware (multiple Microphones and tweeter for the speaker) and better Software.

• Reply 102 of 112
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    k2kw said:
    volcan said:
    kevin kee said:
    I think people like parroting what the major media wanted us to believe. If everyone said Siri sucks then of course it is true, even though from my own experience Siri is as capable as other AI Voice Assistant if not even better in certain circumstances.
    I disagree that Siri is as capable as Google. First, Siri does not understand conversational context very well and also has trouble with homonyms. Secondly, most of the time Siri searches end up with the words "This is what I found on the web." where as Google usually finds the correct answer and reads the entire subject aloud. Thirdly, Siri simply doesn't have enough data and often ignores your location. For example I asked for magnetic signs but Siri said I could not find any magnetic sign stores, and mind you I'm near LA where there are likely more than a thousand stores that sell magnetic signs. I asked Google and it instantly found hundreds nearby, one less than a mile from my house. I then asked Apple Maps the same query and it sent me more than 5,000 miles away to the UK. In my experience the difference between Apple's AI and Google's is night and day.
    I put my dad's nursing home in my contacts and then a little later asked it to call it,   Siri gave me web search.   It should check my contacts first.
    Hopefully this will come with a much smarter  Siri.   It needs both good hardware (multiple Microphones and tweeter for the speaker) and better Software.

Siri didn't understand "call my dad's nursing home" and it showed to you web results related to "nursing home"... Oh my... what a shame...
  • Reply 103 of 112
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    k2kw said:
    volcan said:
    kevin kee said:
    You lost me. From what you described, I'd say you're exceptions of the current technology is way to high and you should be asking Siri, "Call [Acme] Nursing Home unless you're manually made a change to call it "Dad's Nursing Home."
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 104 of 112
    sog35 said:
    AI_lias said:
    This is good news, except I suspect they'll want an Apple Music subscription, in which case it is not-so-good news. I won't get an Apple Music subscription, just too much money. If they'll bundle an Apple Music with iCloud storage space, and maybe something else, I might.
    Apple music is pretty cheap.

$15 for 4 users is very reasonable.
    Even better buy iTunes gift cards during Christmas (they are usually 20% off at costco) and load it into your iTunes account to pay for Apple Music.

That makes it $12 for 4 users or $8 for 1 user. Awesome deal.
    Does anyone use Apple Music for Classical?
  • Reply 105 of 112
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    tmay said:
    Please make a model with a router, Apple.

Thank you in advance.
    macxpress said:
    I wonder if it will also end up being Apple's replacement to their existing AirPort lineup?
    I concur, but am having a hard time envisioning how it would work. Pretty sure at least one of my AirPorts has to be plugged into my cable modem with a wire. Unless of course, this is a accessory like the AirPort Express. Meaning they all have an ethernet port on them? Maybe. Maybe it can be done with USB-C? Dunno.

And I would be shocked if there was any product that came from Apple that didn't carry a premium price. It's what they do. 
    The only way it would work would be as part of a mesh network. You have a primary device connected to your network and then these satellite devices that help increase your network coverage. But there are inherent issues with making this a standard: increase costs, complexity, and the potential for all these devices to be in close proximity because of their primary use case needs instead of spread out throughout a home.
    The speaker may include and internal Router for WIFI for multi room audio like Sonos. We won't know till it's out.

Apple could really kill Sonos easily.
    Sometimes good products get killed by bigger companies.

Sonos doesn't do blueTooth on the low end,  doesn't do HiRes audio, and doesn't support ATMOS in home theater.

• Reply 106 of 112
    k2kw said:
    volcan said:
    kevin kee said:

Siri didn't understand "call my dad's nursing home" and it showed to you web results related to "nursing home"... Oh my... what a shame...
    No I gave sIRI the name of my dad's nursing home just like I entered it in My Contacts less than five minutes earlier and it totally failed.   Siri still needs a drastic overhaul.   Maybe Apple should just pay to send every thing to Alexa.
  • Reply 107 of 112
    k2kw said:
    k2kw said:
    volcan said:
    kevin kee said:

No I gave sIRI the name of my dad's nursing home just like I entered it in My Contacts less than five minutes earlier and it totally failed.   Siri still needs a drastic overhaul.   Maybe Apple should just pay to send every thing to Alexa.
    I tested this and you're right, it doesn't call companies, it always call persons. That's weird and it may be reported to https://www.apple.com/feedback This is a design idiosyncracy that may require a review but not a drastic overhaul. You can call the nursing home by entering the number not as a separate entry but as one of the phones of your dad, and labeling it as "nursing" for example, then you can say "call my dad at nursing". This works. If you want it to understand "dad" you can tell Siri to remember that that person [first name][last name] is your dad.

Or just enter the company name in the First Name and Last Name fields in Contacts.

Most of our contacts are transferred from old feature phones and include many inconsistencies, yet the Contacts application is very powerful. Spending some time with editing may help.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 108 of 112
    k2kw said:
    k2kw said:
    volcan said:
    kevin kee said:

OK here is the solution. In order to make Siri call a company you assign a nickname to it.

In your case you enter "[Acme] Nursing Home" in the company field and  enter "dad's nursing home" in the nickname field. To add a nickname tap Edit, tap Add Field, choose Nickname, then go top and enter the nickname.

We may have tens of customer service numbers in our contacts, it would be unbelievable that Siri cannot call any of these. The key is the nickname field.

Also it is understandable that Siri cannot call a company directly because you may have several friends working at the same company. If you have Tim, Phil, Craig... in your contacts with "Apple" in their Company field, you cannot just say "call Apple". You must specify which Apple and the easiest way to do this is the nickname: "call Apple customer service".
  • Reply 109 of 112
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    k2kw said:
    k2kw said:
    volcan said:
    kevin kee said:

I tested this and you're right, it doesn't call companies, it always call persons. That's weird and it may be reported to https://www.apple.com/feedback This is a design idiosyncracy that may require a review but not a drastic overhaul.
    I've never had trouble calling companies from my iPhone. I tried the oldest one I have in my phone and added a brand new one to see if it's available right away. I'm sure you'll figure out which is which.

PS: Late last year I was having Siri issues, or, rather, iOS issues. It wouldn't even find artists in my Music app that I could select and play manually. I'd consider that both of you backup and restore your devices.
  • Reply 110 of 112
    Soli said:
    k2kw said:
    k2kw said:
    volcan said:
    kevin kee said:

I tested this and you're right, it doesn't call companies, it always call persons. That's weird and it may be reported to https://www.apple.com/feedback This is a design idiosyncracy that may require a review but not a drastic overhaul.
    I've never had trouble calling companies from my iPhone. I tried the oldest one I have in my phone and added a brand new one to see if it's available right away. I'm sure you'll figure out which is which.

PS: Late last year I was having Siri issues, or, rather, iOS issues. It wouldn't even find artists in my Music app that I could select and play manually. I'd consider that both of you backup and restore your devices.
    Both are web results. If there were more than one instance of each if would show you a list to choose from. You may check that with common or similar company names. I have some company in my contacts, but it still shows me three with similar names asking me to choose which one. So I understand that it goes to the web first. The only way to prevent this is to mark that company in my contacts with a nickname or enter the company name in the First Name or Last Name fields. If you leave the Name fields empty for the sake of consistency then the nickname remains as the only solution. Even with that it performs a check at first usage: "who would I call?" If you repeat the nickname it calls, no check occurs in subsequent calls and it dials straight.

edited May 2017
  • Reply 111 of 112
    Jasonx911Jasonx911 Posts: 16member
    No one is going to buy just one of whatever they are selling. Most true fans that they are catering to already have an Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, MacBook, & numerous HomeKit enabled devices. Add HealthKit to the mix and you will have a true personal assistant who will know you full routine. And yes they are still to Apple Music and lets not forget they're desire for video production. I'll take 4 of whatever they are selling