Hacker leaks Netflix's 'Orange Is the New Black' season 5 after ransom not paid

Posted:
in General Discussion
Netflix has not responded to a hacker's ransom demand, and as a result, nearly all of season 5 of "Orange Is the New Black" has been released to illicit file sharing sites.

Over the weekend, hacker group "Thedarkoverlord" releases the premiere episode of season 5 of the show. NBC News reported on Monday that a "modest" ransom was demanded to prevent the release of the rest of the season.

"They continue to remain unresponsive," Thedarkoverlord claimed. "With this information in mind (and the fact that leaving people on cliffhangers isn't fun) we've decided to release Episodes 2-10 of 'Orange Is the New Black' Season 5 after many lengthy discussions at the office where alcohol was present."

Netflix so far has little to say about the release. In a very brief statement, the company says that a production company "had its security compromised" and "law enforcement authorities are involved."

A report from TorrentFreak notes that at the end of 2016, the group gained access to Larson Studios in Hollywood, the dialog recording studio that works on "Orange Is the New Black." Allegedly, the production studio agreed to pay the 50 Bitcoin ransom, but didn't end up making the payment.

Thedarkoverlord is not a new group seeking notoriety. The group has successfully hacked Atlanta-based medical groups who care for professional athletes, released data from Gorilla Glue, and leaked contracts and a video of a fatal accident involving construction company Pre-Con Products.

The responsible party for the hack claims that ABC, National Geographic, Fox and IFC are "on the feasting menu" for future video leaks and ransom demands The group also claims that the remainder of the season wasn't available as it was still in post-production when the server holding the files was penetrated.

Netflix is planning to release the entire season of the show on June 9.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Okay, let’s hear the Freetard Manifesto once again from AI’s freetard contingent. Let’s hear how it won’t be stealing if you download these episodes and watch them. I’d bet my pension check that these downloads will be packed full of all manner of malware, key loggers, root kits, adware, viruses, trojans and the like. It’ll be like going to a whorehouse in Thailand. You’ll come away with something nasty for sure.
    edited May 2017 mike1tmayanantksundarammrboba1gilly017
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    lkrupp said:
    Okay, let’s hear the Freetard Manifesto once again from AI’s freetard contingent. Let’s hear how it won’t be stealing if you download these episodes and watch them. I’d bet my pension check that these downloads will be packed full of all manner of malware, key loggers, root kits, adware, viruses, trojans and the like. It’ll be like going to a whorehouse in Thailand. You’ll come away with something nasty for sure.
    Well, I'm not going to tell other folk what to do, but I'm not in the habit of accepting stolen goods, so I think I'll pass and wait for the series not provided by blackmailing hackers. 
    gilly017
  • Reply 3 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    lol
  • Reply 4 of 24
    eliangonzaleliangonzal Posts: 490member
    Soooo, instead of having the smallest ounce of patriotic feeling over the Russians handily attacking your country (in a way that not even Chinese hackers have) and working to do something about it, techie boyz are content with...stealing episodes of a TV show and trying to extort the company that makes it.

"LOL" indeed.
    robin huber
  • Reply 5 of 24
    un_plugun_plug Posts: 25member
    Dumbest hacker extortion attempt ever.
    I guarantee you people interested in OISNB already have access to Netflix. So this release would not lose Netflix any subscribers, and I don't think anybody was going to join all of a sudden for season 5, so Netflix is not going to "lose" any would be new subscribes either. If anything the very few that don't have Netflix might download it and say, "Hey I really like this show maybe I should get Netflix."
    And it come out in a month anyway? With all the other content to watch out there who can't wait a month rather than pirate download?
    Why would Netflix ever pay a dime?
    Potential harm to Netflix- 0. Free advertising in the form of news stories mentioning Netflix and OITNB, plus possible getting more people into OITNB- priceless.
    jbdragonstompyanantksundaramStrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 24
    loquiturloquitur Posts: 137member
    If this was supposed to hurt Netflix the company, represented by NFLX the stock,
    it's backfired -- the stock is at an all-time high.   Looks like free publicity for episodes
    out in a few weeks anyway.  They are not pay-per-view, and under the non-commercial
    sub model there are no lost profits from ads.
    edited May 2017 anantksundaram
  • Reply 7 of 24
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    If anything, this is some free advertising for Netflix. Think of all the places this is getting talked about and how it's Netflix's #1 show, etc. It's not even the whole season. I think it's missing the last couple episodes from what I hear. It's just over a month away from being released all at once anyway. There's already so much great original content on Netflix. The price for service is reasonable.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Would love to see rich guys put up a huge bounty on the capture of criminal hackers. These creeps are the turds in the punchbowl of civil life. 
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 9 of 24
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    sog35 said:
    I'm glad Netflix called their bluff.

Why should Netflix care? People who subscribe to Netflix are not going through the trouble of torrents.

And what is there to leak? Netflix releases the entire season at once anyway.

Stupid ass criminals waste their time for nothing. 
    I agree...I guess the only thing is now you won't have to subscribe in order to watch this. But, like you said, anyone interested in watching this is either a subscriber or will just subscribe. Sure, there will be some that will take advantage of this but its minimal compared to those that will do it the right way. 
  • Reply 10 of 24
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    lkrupp said:
    That isn't really how it works. On a popular download site the release will be studied and ranked by downloaders. Typically they're just the video files but if there were malware loaders people will report that. 
    edited May 2017 afrodrisergioz
  • Reply 11 of 24
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Season 5? I didn't know Netflix had even released season 4 yet!
  • Reply 12 of 24
    razormaidrazormaid Posts: 299member
    Orange Is The New What??  Is this like in Legally Blonde when she says "Orange is the new Pink"???  I'm confused.  I thought this year's IN color was purple.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    un_plug said:
    Dumbest hacker extortion attempt ever.
    I guarantee you people interested in OISNB already have access to Netflix. So this release would not lose Netflix any subscribers, and I don't think anybody was going to join all of a sudden for season 5, so Netflix is not going to "lose" any would be new subscribes either. If anything the very few that don't have Netflix might download it and say, "Hey I really like this show maybe I should get Netflix."
    And it come out in a month anyway? With all the other content to watch out there who can't wait a month rather than pirate download?
    Why would Netflix ever pay a dime?
    Potential harm to Netflix- 0. Free advertising in the form of news stories mentioning Netflix and OITNB, plus possible getting more people into OITNB- priceless.
    I think you've just convinced me that this was actually an elaborate plan carried out by Netflix themselves.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    The only people that will care about this are the ones that probably don't have a Netflix account, or just ride on someone else's Netflix account.  Everyone else has Netflix and really won't care.  

Besides that, anyone with even a shred of IQ will know better not to click some link that advertises the unreleased OITNB episondes.  That link will most likely be some malware-infested juju anyways.

Sucks to be Netflix, and especially that production company, but it's a lesson learned and hopefully will result in hardening their security.

Just for fun, I hope they hunt that wannabe hacker and make him suffer.  My money is that it's some pimple-faced basement-dweller that probably wouldn't know how to speak to a pretty girl if she were right in front of him.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Meh.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I'm of the opinion any crime worth prosecuting is a crime worth the death penalty.    I hope this guy get caught and is shot in the back (as a coward) while running away from the police.   This only to save the trouble of a court trial and all that goes with that.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    wizard69 said:
    I'm of the opinion any crime worth prosecuting is a crime worth the death penalty.    I hope this guy get caught and is shot in the back (as a coward) while running away from the police.   This only to save the trouble of a court trial and all that goes with that.
    The death penalty... over Orange Is The New Black? That's taking it a bit far. The person(s) should be arrested and charged with theft and forced to compensate Netflix for millions in damages instead. Paying the victim back for the crime is a better application of the law.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 18 of 24
    BSwayner1BSwayner1 Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Ok let's sick Anonymous on these or this thug lol
  • Reply 19 of 24
    gilly017gilly017 Posts: 83member
    Effing losers! Let's extort a company for money while having a hard-on because we so 'hacking' cool. Such losers don't deserve space on the planet. 
  • Reply 20 of 24
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member

Sog makes a lot of sense. How exactly is this going to hurt Netflix? People with the subscription will get this right on top of the list and they can choose to watch it without having to download it off TPB, convert it to format of choice and then watch on the TV/ tablet/ phone.

People without Netflix who watch the show would anyway have gotten it sooner or later.