US homebuilder Brookfield makes Apple HomeKit standard in new homes

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2020
U.S. homebuilder Brookfield Residential on Wednesday announced that all of its new southern California communities will by default come with Apple HomeKit accessories, making them controllable via Siri or iOS 10's native Home app.

The first build to get HomeKit will be the Delano neighborhood in Irvine's Eastwood Village, Brookfield said. Other early entries will include ones in Playa Vista, Chula Vista, San Marcos, Azusa, and Ontario Ranch.

Standard HomeKit equipment will include Lutron Caseta lights, the Honeywell Lyric T6 thermostat, the Schlage Sense smart deadbolt, and finally the Ubiquiti Wireless Access Point, to provide good Wi-Fi coverage. Newer HomeKit accessories will be added as they come along.

Other U.S. builders supporting HomeKit include KB Home and Lennar, but Brookfield appears to be the first making the platform standard, rather than an upgrade.

Smarthome accessories are often expensive to buy on their own, limiting their adoption. They can become more practical in the context of a mortgage however, adding just a small amount to monthly payments while also potentially boosting resale value.

Apple may be in tighter competition for the smarthome space than it anticipated, largely because of the surprise success of the Amazon Echo and its AI assistant, Alexa, which is even being integrated into HomeKit-ready devices like the new Ecobee4 thermostat. Google, too, has stepped into the market with its Nest accessories and the Google Home smartspeaker running Google Assistant.

Apple is believed to be developing a smartspeaker of its own, based on Siri and featuring high-end audio. It could be announced as soon as next month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Smart move.  I'll trust Apple to provide a working, SECURE home automation environment.  Alexa and Google-crap are just fads.  Junk makers whose sole purpose is to harvest your private info.
    raoulduke42B3BADASSlostkiwi
  • Reply 2 of 4
    sflocal said:
    Smart move.  I'll trust Apple to provide a working, SECURE home automation environment.  Alexa and Google-crap are just fads.  Junk makers whose sole purpose is to harvest your private info.
    Probably not a fad. Some people love inexpensive (regardless of quality/security/privacy/etc.) and some people hate all things Apple. There will be plenty who go with Alexa or Home just for those two reasons. 
  • Reply 3 of 4
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    The Irvine neighborhood is pretty high end. Those HK deadbolt look really cheap. On the front door I would want something like a brushed nickel mortised in Baldwin. Maybe you could put the HK deadbolt on the interior door separating the garage from the house. I usually enter my home through that door anyway. The other thing is that I would want a HK alarm system, which could be added wirelessly, but I would rather have wired sensors. In addition it would be nice to have HK outdoor lighting. Of course you need to plan for the other options that buyers might want like window shades which will need power outlets near the top of the windows. When building a new home you should plan for other sorts of outlets like cable, ethernet, outdoor speakers, etc. Do whatever you can to never need to tear into walls to add stuff.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 4 of 4
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    volcan said:
    The Irvine neighborhood is pretty high end. Those HK deadbolt look really cheap. On the front door I would want something like a brushed nickel mortised in Baldwin. Maybe you could put the HK deadbolt on the interior door separating the garage from the house. I usually enter my home through that door anyway. The other thing is that I would want a HK alarm system, which could be added wirelessly, but I would rather have wired sensors. In addition it would be nice to have HK outdoor lighting. Of course you need to plan for the other options that buyers might want like window shades which will need power outlets near the top of the windows. When building a new home you should plan for other sorts of outlets like cable, ethernet, outdoor speakers, etc. Do whatever you can to never need to tear into walls to add stuff.
    When you say Baldwin, I know you're talking about Kwikset.
    Kwikset's homekit lock, the Premis, was pretty bad.

Look at the Schlage that the homebuilders are using. It's quite good, and it's brushed nickel. You're right about this: nearly everyone who has a garage uses it as the primary entry to the home. Look at the Chamberlain MyQ Garage with HomeKit garage opener.

Window shades come from Lutron, and they work with HomeKit - however, I think window shades are at an evolutionary dead end in a few years. Electrochromatic windows that tint with the application of electricity are the future. Simpler install, no dust collection the way shades do, nothing motorized to break.
    jony0