PowerMac graphic card options

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
They have Radeon 7500 and Geforce4 MX. That's a faster GeForce2 and a slow Radeon. If people think that the GeForce4 MX will give them thrills with Doom3 (for example), well it wont. Basically two cheap-o gfx cards, and I wonder why Apple didn't at least go with GeForce4 Ti 4200 on the top end. Oh well.

Does anyone have experience with third-party NVidia and ATI cards (Radeon 8500?) on Macs? but then, that makes you pay twice..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    GeForce 4 Ti is available as a BTO option
  • Reply 2 of 8
    mazmaz Posts: 6member
    [quote]Originally posted by xype:

<strong>They have Radeon 7500 and Geforce4 MX. That's a faster GeForce2 and a slow Radeon. If people think that the GeForce4 MX will give them thrills with Doom3 (for example), well it wont. Basically two cheap-o gfx cards, and I wonder why Apple didn't at least go with GeForce4 Ti 4200 on the top end. Oh well.

Does anyone have experience with third-party NVidia and ATI cards (Radeon 8500?) on Macs? but then, that makes you pay twice..</strong><hr></blockquote>

radeon 7500 and gf4 mx are realy good cards

they are much better and faster than gf2mx wich were in the last g4 towers

wich game force you to buy the radeon 8500 or gf4 ti now?

there is no one

we can expect doom3 for the end of 2002 and untill than nobody needs a faster card than a gf4mx/radeon 7500 (at 1024x746)

i think that apple has made bigger mistakes by the imacs

the old imacs had the same cards since 1999 (imac dv)

an computer of the year 2002 wiht a card from 1998

ps: sorry for my englsh
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I'd like to see Apple push for ATI to get the All-in-Wonder back on the Mac, the last version was the Xclaim VR Rage 128. I really like the TV in function for recording shows and burning to VCD. Plus the newer PC versions have built in mpeg encoding and TiVo type functions for recording while you are away.

I don't need the cutting edge graphics of the high end cards, but enjoy the multi functionality of a good TV card on a mid range card.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    According to John Carmack: "New cards will be out once Doom 3 ships". Thus even if you get a GF 4 Ti now, it won't be the newest card once that game ships. As for the shipdate, I'd rather point to mid to late 2003, not 2002.

G-News
  • Reply 5 of 8
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by xype:

<strong>They have Radeon 7500 and Geforce4 MX. That's a faster GeForce2 and a slow Radeon. If people think that the GeForce4 MX will give them thrills with Doom3 (for example), well it wont. Basically two cheap-o gfx cards, and I wonder why Apple didn't at least go with GeForce4 Ti 4200 on the top end. Oh well.

Does anyone have experience with third-party NVidia and ATI cards (Radeon 8500?) on Macs? but then, that makes you pay twice..</strong><hr></blockquote>

1.) Radeon 7500 should be faster and has better all around features than the normal Radeon.

2.) Geforce 4 MX is a little bit more than aa Geforce 2.

3.) Doom 3's requirements will be a nVidia geforce 2 mx or equivalent. A geforce 4mx is well above that. of course the higher end card you have the cooler the game will look. I'm sure you could save a hell of a lot of money and buy it for XBox if they release a version for that.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    arty50arty50 Posts: 201member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

3.) Doom 3's requirements will be a nVidia geforce 2 mx or equivalent.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, Carmack has stated that you'll need at least a GF3. A GF2 (even an Ultra) just won't cut it.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by Arty50:

<strong>

Actually, Carmack has stated that you'll need at least a GF3. A GF2 (even an Ultra) just won't cut it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

This has been discussed here before, and that is not what he said. The original link was posted, and in it he said you'd need a card w/ programmable shader capabilities to get the full graphical effects. The minimum requirement to run it hardware T&L on the card (i.e. geForce2 or geForce4 MX).
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Yes, I apologize for that. From the horse's mouth:

"Obviously, any game done with the new Doom engine is going to run slower than a game done with Q3 technology. You can make some of it back up by going to the simpler lighting model and running at a lower resolution, but you just won't be able to hit 60+ fps on a GF2. The low end of our supported platforms will be a GF1 / 64 bit GF2Go / Radeon, and it is expected to chug a bit there, even with everything cut down.

There are several more Q3 engine games in the works that will continue to run great on existing systems, and Doom is still a long ways off in any case, so there will be a lot more upgrades and new systems. We are aiming to have a GF3 run Doom with all features enabled at 30 fps. We expect the high end cards at the time of release to run it at 60+ fps with improved quality."

So basically, have fun running that on anything less than a GF3.