Amazon may finally cave, bring Prime Video to Apple TV this summer

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    eightzero said:
    Third quarter 2017 ends when?
    Third quarter of the calendar year runs July through September.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    It'll happen because Amazon needs to correct their big strategic error. 

Here's what happened. 

Amazon is notoriously cheap.  Prime Service is a loss leader thus they attempted to force people to 
    buy Fire products to support Prime Video or a Roku. 

That was fine...until the Echo came with Alexa.  Suddenly the power of an burgeoning Alexa ecosystem 
    becomes evident.   Amazon realized they need to push out Prime Video and other Prime services to many 
    more partners.    Problem is Google saw this years ago and now has top tier vendors with Google Cast support 
    which only strengthens Google media services. 

Don't fool yourself...this is Amazon caving.  They need the volume of end points that Prime on Apple TV brings.  
  • Reply 23 of 48
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Fatman said:
    I question the accuracy ... is Amazon caving or Apple caving? If AppleTV owners buy content from Amazon and get the benefits of Prine music and video, that is money out of Apple's pocket (less iTunes revenue). I always assumed Apple was locking out Amazon to protect it's revenue.
    No Apple stated that they are in no way blocking Prime Video.  Why would they?  They have everyone else.  Amazon Video is that big. 
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 24 of 48
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    nhughes said:
    eightzero said:
    OK. But it isn't clear from the article when to expect it on ATV. I don't think Apple's 3rd Quarter is the same as the calendar. No idea what Amazon's is.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 25 of 48
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,990member
    If true, it would be interesting to see what kind of deal is being worked out, or what other changes are afoot. There are fundamental business model barriers that have kept Amazon video off of the ATV. Simply put, Amazon Prime video is a loss-leader for Amazon. Your prime subscription doesn't pay for the content available through Prime. So from Amazon's perspective, if they put their video app on the ATV, they want you to be able to then purchase or rent other non-prime video content from them. 

Apple, on the other hand, requires all in-app purchases of digital content to go through their store, where they take a cut from the purchase or rental price. Amazon isn't interested in doing that, because that cut would be their profit margin or more. You can get around that on an iPhone or iPad, because unlike your ATV, those devices already have browsers, and Apple can't take a piece out of every purchase made through a browser. So it's a slight inconvenience on an iPhone, but Amazon will put up with their customers using a browser to complete a purchase, and then switching back to their video app to watch the content. Using AirPlay to then stream from an iPhone to an ATV is just an extension of that model.

So thus far, because the ATV doesn't have a browser, Amazon has avoided putting a video app on ATV, because they would either have to give away their profits for in-app digital content transactions, or offer an app with no internal store, which would lead too many of their customers to watch their expensive, loss-leader Prime content only to then jump over to Apple's app to purchase and rent video content there. People get all mad at Amazon about this, but neither of those options is tenable for them. Both options involve them spending money on loss-leader Prime content, only to then take the loss while leading their customers right into Apple's bank account. 

From Apple's standpoint, I can't imagine that this impasse is really that big of a problem for them. They have their own video content. If they give Amazon some kind of special break on their cut of in-app digital content purchases, it would set a precedent where other vendors would want the same deal. They have no interest in doing that.

The only thing I can think of that would allow Amazon to put their video app on ATV would be that Apple is planning for other reasons to start including a browser on the ATV. That seems unlikely, however, because you kind of need a keyboard to effectively work a browser.
    StrangeDaysfirelock
  • Reply 26 of 48
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    Well, the writing was on the wall ever since Apple hired Timothy D. Twerdahl, the former head of Amazon.com Inc.’s Fire TV unit, as a vice president in charge of Apple TV product marketing.  He was likely instrumental in closing that deal.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I bought a basic FireStick when it was on sale for $25 (Amazon black Friday or something I can’t remember which). It’s plugged into the HDMI port next to the TV’s port. Problem solved BUT it would be nice to have the app on the TV instead.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    This is a win-win. Looking forward to it!
  • Reply 29 of 48
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    eightzero said:
    nhughes said:
    eightzero said:
    OK. But it isn't clear from the article when to expect it on ATV. I don't think Apple's 3rd Quarter is the same as the calendar. No idea what Amazon's is.
    The headline says to expect the app this summer. Re/code's sources said they expect it to launch in calendar Q3. Summer runs late June through late September.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    nhughes said:
    eightzero said:
    nhughes said:
    eightzero said:
    The headline says to expect the app this summer. Re/code's sources said they expect it to launch in calendar Q3. Summer runs late June through late September.
    OK. Thanks!

Apple often says "coming this fall." I take that to mean "on December 20th." By extension, I think we might see this about September 20th.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    lkrupp said:
    I bought a basic FireStick when it was on sale for $25 (Amazon black Friday or something I can’t remember which). It’s plugged into the HDMI port next to the TV’s port. Problem solved BUT it would be nice to have the app on the TV instead.
    I got one in a Fire Sale (!) from Sling. I've never had much luck with it. It sort of works, but crashes, getting apps not obvious, and I rather gave up on it.

Fairly, ATV is not without issues. It is not uncommon for a stream the freeze for no reason. But it is far less often than the fire thingy. 
  • Reply 32 of 48
    Here's to hoping. Although, this might be the last opportunity---Amazon Prime Video is becoming ubiquitous on TV's.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    ALL will cave if Apple TV sells enough. I said this a year ago we'll see all services if Apple can push Apple TV to be the iPhone/iPod/iPad/Watch of TV.

Right now they aren't doing that.

There aren't enough reasons for Apple TV to be the customer's first choice.
    Apple really needs to take gaming seriously and take market share from Xbox/PlayStation/Nintendo. These game consoles are selling better than cheap streaming devices at $300+.
    There were talks of VUDU coming to Apple TV also but as long as it stays a "hobby" and after-thought it won't be a priority to certain streaming services.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    Fatman said:
    I question the accuracy ... is Amazon caving or Apple caving? If AppleTV owners buy content from Amazon and get the benefits of Prine music and video, that is money out of Apple's pocket (less iTunes revenue). I always assumed Apple was locking out Amazon to protect it's revenue.
    Your assumption is questionable. Any developer can release an app that complies with app store policies, Apple doesn't need to lock them out. 
  • Reply 35 of 48
    i don't see what amazon has to lose out of this deal.  it's not like apple is asking for the 30% cut from the prime membership.  and yes, airplaying the man in the high castle was super annoying.

Actually....
    it's my understanding that these types of apps have to have a "new user? sign up here!" or "renew membership here" type of mechanism, so that consumers CAN pay through the app if they choose; & at that point- Apple would collect a percentage. (although I believe recent changes have adjusted renewals down to like 10%, not 30%)

anyways.... it stands to reason that is Apple provides the infrastructure of the App Store, promotes an app as a "top choice", is a repository for updates, etc., that a company shouldn't be able to skirt paying what EVERY OTHER app developer pays, yeah?
    avidthinker
  • Reply 36 of 48
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    eightzero said:
    lkrupp said:
    Fairly, ATV is not without issues. It is not uncommon for a stream the freeze for no reason. But it is far less often than the fire thingy. 
    I've never had a stream freeze on my ATV, ever. If you do I suspect other issues are at play. 
  • Reply 37 of 48
    badmonk said:
    personally i hope Apple didn't give an inch in these negotiations 

I doubt there were any negotiations.  If Amazon wants to submit an app for the Apple TV they know how to do so.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    When my old TV went kaput, the new TV came with a physical button on  the remote for Amazon Prime TV. When my Apple TV went kaput, I did not replace it. Too bad, as I liked the little boonk boink sounds of the menu traversal.

But the tv is off pretty much 24-7 anyway, so I felt no compunction in cancelling Prime due to there being no way to communicate with Amazon when they say they have delivered a package but it has not arrived.  I canceled all the subscribe and save subscriptions too, after discovering much lower prices of the local stores. 

I tried to write reviews of the product complaining that it had not been delivered, but they deleted all of them.

The best Amaxon  could offer  was a questionnaire, where the best choice was "I don't like the policy ",

Finally I was able to communicate with the hapless third-party seller who made the mistake of using Amazon for logistics, and I complained about their packaging, saying that there was done. Because the item that never arrived. In a series of illiterate emails they obviously struggled  to get me a replacement for this five dollar item (an adapter which goes  between a home phone type audio and a normal  headset audio plug)

Amazon:: easy to order, more difficult to receive. 

Sounds like a problem with the carrier. That said, you can chat with customer service fairly easily, and in my experience they've always taken care of the problem with little fuss. I had a package with a $100+ Bluetooth speaker inexplicably left outside my apartment building and subsequently stolen, Amazon replaced it with no questions asked. Other similar experiences as well. Best customer service next to Apple IMHO. 

It's not really their fault you left product reviews to communicate a carrier issue instead of talking to customer service, is it?
  • Reply 39 of 48
    McSwaggerMcSwagger Posts: 2member
    Surprised no one has mentioned that you won't be able to watch Amazon's 4k programming on the Apple TV...or will you???
  • Reply 40 of 48
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    All I watch on Amazon Prime is "The Grand Tour."
    Over AirPlay to my  TV.
    So not a big deal for me.