Metallica's Lars Ulrich to host weekly Beats 1 show on Apple Music

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited May 2017
Metallica's outspoken drummer's show on Beats 1 called "It's Electric!" will be "unfiltered, unscripted and completely all over the place" with a launch on May 7 at 3 p.m. Pacific Time with guest Iggy Pop.

"We go all over the world - we look at international bands for an international audience," Ulrich said in an interview with Zane Lowe to promote the show. "I'm gonna play you lots of really cool music by mostly bands you don't know; a lot of bands I've just been introduced to. We don't believe in boundaries, and we're open to everything. I have some guests call in on the phone, and they promise me I'm gonna have this show every week."

Iggy Pop was recruited by Ulrich after a live show in Mexico City where Pop performed with Metallica on stage.

"He joined us onstage for a sensational run through of the Stooges classic 'TV Eye,' and I asked him if he'd be the first guest on It's Electric!" said Ulrich. "He called in and we talk about our shenanigans in Mexico City, the new relationship and the rest of it, so he's the very first guest. How cool is that?"

"I've got so much stuff to share with everybody out there and a lot of stuff that's turning me on. I'm telling you, people that love great music, rock music but also hip-hop and world music, and all the rest of it," said Ulrich. "There's a lot of people that talk about, 'Well the music business is in sad shape, and it's dying,' but there's a ton of fantastic music out there, and I'm reenergized and reinvigorated and ready to share it with the world."

Ulrich testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee in 2000 after he found the entire Metallica discography, including an unfinished track from the band on Napster. Later, Ulrich commented that he and the band had a "gross underestimation" of file sharing, and how it would influence the music industry.
ยซ1

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The guy who railed against digital music joins Beats 1... And what's the latest weather report from Hell?
  • Reply 2 of 24
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Finally something other than rap and hip hop on Beats 1. :)
    techprod1gycaliredraider11jonagoldargonaut
  • Reply 3 of 24
    techprod1gytechprod1gy Posts: 838member
    The guy who railed against digital music joins Beats 1... And what's the latest weather report from Hell?
    He didn't rally against digital music. He was against artists not getting a fair share and also disliked his music distributed for free...seriously.
    caliavon b7redraider11levi
  • Reply 4 of 24
    ciacia Posts: 252member
    Still pissed he killed Napster.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    rotateleftbyterotateleftbyte Posts: 1,630member
    Agreed. Perhaps it could be made available to a wider audience via... say, a podcast.

About time decent music got a chance on Apple Music. Rap, Hip Hop and modern so called R&B do not qualify in my eyes.
    redraider11argonaut
  • Reply 6 of 24
    I'm all for adding some rock flavor to a hip-hop & pop centric Beats 1 radio but is Lars Ulrich the best they can get? ๐Ÿ˜‘
    argonaut
  • Reply 7 of 24
    I'm all for adding some rock flavor to a hip-hop & pop centric Beats 1 radio but is Lars Ulrich the best they can get? ๐Ÿ˜‘
    Lemmy died. Everyone else is second place ๐Ÿ˜‰
    dacharlkruppredraider11argonaut
  • Reply 8 of 24
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    cia said:
    If Napster were still around the music industry would be dead. 

Scumbags like you complain that you have to pay for things and believe everything should be free yet bi*** if an hour is missing from your McDonald's check.
    redraider11
  • Reply 9 of 24
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Lemmy died. Everyone else is second place ๐Ÿ˜‰
    In a contest between Lemmy and God who would win? Trick question, asshole, Lemmy IS God.
    jonagoldargonaut
  • Reply 10 of 24
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

cia said:
    Beer GOOD! Napster BAD!
    redraider11
  • Reply 11 of 24
    kamiltonkamilton Posts: 282member
    cia said:
    Can you work for free for me?  I need my house cleaned and my Benz detailed!

Taking anything without paying fair market value is called stealing!  I think there's even a biblical Commandment to that effect....  if memory serves.  Thanks Lars and SJ and all others involved in saving the industry from thieves.  

Now all we need is Apple to deliver highest fidelity on the creation (Logic) and consumption (iTunes) ends... and some good songs.  Someone write a good song already...  Sheesh
    redraider11lkrupp
  • Reply 12 of 24
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    By the way, Henry Rollins hosts a very eclectic radio show and podcast in Los Angeles:  https://www.kcrw.com/music/shows/henry-rollins
  • Reply 13 of 24
    redraider11redraider11 Posts: 186member
    Lars is actually extremely knowledgeable when it comes to music. Probably more qualified then anyone that has been a host on B1 before him. Plus I'm sure he can share some pretty good stories from being in that little band called Metallica. 
  • Reply 14 of 24
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    Agreed. Perhaps it could be made available to a wider audience via... say, a podcast.

About time decent music got a chance on Apple Music. Rap, Hip Hop and modern so called R&B do not qualify in my eyes.
    And Metallica over the last 15 + years meets that qualification?  Hahahahaha. Give me a break. 
  • Reply 15 of 24
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    cia said:

Why? Because you wanted something for free?

(honest question)

levi
  • Reply 16 of 24
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    kamilton said:
     I think there's even a biblical Commandment to that effect.... 
    A bible is the last place I would go for an ethics lesson...
    argonautDarthJar
  • Reply 17 of 24

Chances you are a white guy that doesnt acknowledge that hip hop and rap originate from the same black music that spawned rock n roll and jazz: 100%.
    levi
  • Reply 18 of 24
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    I believe his criticism was against file sharing, bit torrent, specifically Napster - which is theft. Not paud digital downloads, streaming. 
  • Reply 19 of 24
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member

Chances you are a white guy that doesnt acknowledge that hip hop and rap originate from the same black music that spawned rock n roll and jazz: 100%.
    Yeah. 90% of 20th and 21th century American popular music is based on "black music", blacks were seen as edgy, outside the norm and "free" from the constraints of normal society (Kerouac in "On the Road" does that a lot, White guy visits "The Blacks" ). So, any white who wanted to counter-culture in some way, slummed in out, importing the "blackness" and inherent edginess in their bland safe and comfortable life. The kind of malaise towards comfort that can only come from being comfortable and eating well... This is still sort of racist cause of the weird distorted view of blacks in America this conveys and the fact this looks a lot like cultural anthropology (a Nanook of the north transposed to the south). When imported/adapted, the music was often debased... But, sometimes like in the case of rock and rock, the mixing gave great results.

argonaut
  • Reply 20 of 24
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    The music business isn't dying. It's evolving and Metallica is near geriatric years. Metal is dying and all I can say is good riddance. Was fortunate to see it in its prime and have moved on sine. Metallica should be retired within the next 5 years, but who knows, perhaps they'll be wise and produce/engineer for future bands.
    argonaut
ยซ1