Apple maintains worldwide tablet marketshare lead in Q1, but cedes ground to Samsung

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    freeper said:
    The damn things just last too long.  I'm on only my second iPad, the first being the iPad 3rd gen (I'd waited for the Retina display).  That was April 2012.  I replaced it with the Air 2 in early 2015.  I use my i.pad, with the Numbers spreadsheet, to manage my seven-figure investment portfolio, track my budget, workouts, etc.  it's been my main [large] screen since I got it; the MacBook Air has spent 95% of its life since unplugged and in the closet, used only to do my taxes each year.  

I did buy an iPad 2 for a girlfriend, and an iPad mini for another.  So there's that.  But I've had three I.phones in the same number of years, and feel I'm far behind in updating my current model (iPhone 6).  Apple needs to find a way to compel iPad upgrades.  Or juice the enterprise market to acquire new customers.  I've a feeling AR might be one dimension of the solution to the iPad problem.  
    Sorry not buying it. I know more than a few people whose iPhone 5 devices still work great. People bought the 6/6s/7/SE because they wanted new phones, not because there was something wrong with the old one. Also, no use pretending that these old iPads - a lot of them 32 bit and running very outdated SOCs - still perform like Porsches. Instead, if the reason why no one is buying new iPads because the old ones are still kicking then it is merely confirmation that they are not being used for anything but streaming, social media and casual gaming by most people. Juice the enterprise market to acquire new customers? Don't you think that Apple didn't try to do exactly that for years, to the point of creating an iPad Pro with a bigger screen and more processing power than their entry level Macs? The reason why iPads don't sell in the enterprise is that they really are limited devices. Even if you argue that they aren't - and totally ignore the differences between an iPad running iOS and a MacBook Pro running macOS in the process - while it may be possible to spend 10 hour workdays hammering away on a 9.7 inch touchscreen device, who wants to when a Windows or Mac with a much bigger screen, physical keyboard, trackpad etc. and can easily be docked to connect to an even bigger screen (or 2 or 3 screens!), better keyboard and mouse is an alternative? The best case that Apple was able to make for the iPad is your ability to leave your laptop behind and take it to meetings. But since A) laptops are nearly as mobile as tablets and B) you can also do the same with your phone especially if it is a phablet (note that iPad sales really began to fall off the cliff when the iPhone 6 Plus was introduced) that didn't justify it either. In my office lots of people use MacBooks (including more than a few who also own Android phones), lots of people have iPhones (including more than a few who use Windows PCs) but I have never seen anyone use an iPad for work other than to test an app. And I work for a tech company.
    Just search for IBM or Microsoft in iOS AppStore to see how many business applications are released for iPad by these leading companies. And this is just starting, add to these in-house programming in Swift and IBM's contributions to it, you'll discover a huge MobileFirst realm you may find interesting...

Moving the laptop from one desk onto another desk is not mobile computing, by the way.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 42 of 51
    avon b7 said:
    adyb said:
    The damn things just last too long.  
    This!

My wife's iPad 2 is 6 years old and just keeps going & going. At some point even if it doesn't die I will replace it for the ability to keep up to date with iOS updates but for its current use, it's good enough.
    My Mini 2 still feels new although I didn't update it to iOS 10. The experience has been good enough for me to get another Mini when this one is retired. That is what is really important.

Getting users to upgrade more frequently won't have a big impact on share in the short term. There is a 75% pool of non iOS tablets to gun for if that is the goal. The latest entry level iPad may be aimed at taking some.of that market.
    The latest entry level iPad may be aimed at taking some of that non IOS tablet market - It is what it is. And it should be successful at that by all accounts. It's performance is better than ALL the higher priced tablets from Android competition.
  • Reply 43 of 51
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,400member
    cropr said:
    freeper said:
    The damn things just last too long.  I'm on only my second iPad, the first being the iPad 3rd gen (I'd waited for the Retina display).  That was April 2012.  I replaced it with the Air 2 in early 2015.  I use my i.pad, with the Numbers spreadsheet, to manage my seven-figure investment portfolio, track my budget, workouts, etc.  it's been my main [large] screen since I got it; the MacBook Air has spent 95% of its life since unplugged and in the closet, used only to do my taxes each year.  

I did buy an iPad 2 for a girlfriend, and an iPad mini for another.  So there's that.  But I've had three I.phones in the same number of years, and feel I'm far behind in updating my current model (iPhone 6).  Apple needs to find a way to compel iPad upgrades.  Or juice the enterprise market to acquire new customers.  I've a feeling AR might be one dimension of the solution to the iPad problem.  
    Sorry not buying it. I know more than a few people whose iPhone 5 devices still work great. People bought the 6/6s/7/SE because they wanted new phones, not because there was something wrong with the old one. Also, no use pretending that these old iPads - a lot of them 32 bit and running very outdated SOCs - still perform like Porsches. Instead, if the reason why no one is buying new iPads because the old ones are still kicking then it is merely confirmation that they are not being used for anything but streaming, social media and casual gaming by most people. Juice the enterprise market to acquire new customers? Don't you think that Apple didn't try to do exactly that for years, to the point of creating an iPad Pro with a bigger screen and more processing power than their entry level Macs? The reason why iPads don't sell in the enterprise is that they really are limited devices. Even if you argue that they aren't - and totally ignore the differences between an iPad running iOS and a MacBook Pro running macOS in the process - while it may be possible to spend 10 hour workdays hammering away on a 9.7 inch touchscreen device, who wants to when a Windows or Mac with a much bigger screen, physical keyboard, trackpad etc. and can easily be docked to connect to an even bigger screen (or 2 or 3 screens!), better keyboard and mouse is an alternative? The best case that Apple was able to make for the iPad is your ability to leave your laptop behind and take it to meetings. But since A) laptops are nearly as mobile as tablets and B) you can also do the same with your phone especially if it is a phablet (note that iPad sales really began to fall off the cliff when the iPhone 6 Plus was introduced) that didn't justify it either. In my office lots of people use MacBooks (including more than a few who also own Android phones), lots of people have iPhones (including more than a few who use Windows PCs) but I have never seen anyone use an iPad for work other than to test an app. And I work for a tech company.
    It is not uncommon for people to have iPad as their tablet device AND an Android phone as their primary phone. With such a possibility, why iPad sales are NOT growing? It is simply due to longer replacement cycles. Nothing else.
    Longer lasting devices are not the only reason.   Apple fails to attract new customers for its iPad product line, totally in contrast to the iPhone.  My guts feeling is that iOS is the culprit.  iOS shines as smartphone OS but lacks some features (file manager, multi user, decent off-line mode, ...) to make an iPad a general computing device.  If I look at my own situation, I always uses my iPad as a companion device next to something else, never as a my primary device.
    iOS's limitations are well documented. But what are the BETTER alternatives as Tablets? There is NONE which is better than iPads. Two-in-ones are neither good as tablets, nor good as laptops. So longer lasting devices is the primary reason, agreed it is NOT the only reason.
    Looks like the Surface Pro 4 maybe a better option, at least based in customer satisfaction.
    http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/jd-power-2017-us-tablet-satisfaction-study

• Reply 44 of 51
    danvm said:
    cropr said:
    freeper said:

It is not uncommon for people to have iPad as their tablet device AND an Android phone as their primary phone. With such a possibility, why iPad sales are NOT growing? It is simply due to longer replacement cycles. Nothing else.
    Longer lasting devices are not the only reason.   Apple fails to attract new customers for its iPad product line, totally in contrast to the iPhone.  My guts feeling is that iOS is the culprit.  iOS shines as smartphone OS but lacks some features (file manager, multi user, decent off-line mode, ...) to make an iPad a general computing device.  If I look at my own situation, I always uses my iPad as a companion device next to something else, never as a my primary device.
    iOS's limitations are well documented. But what are the BETTER alternatives as Tablets? There is NONE which is better than iPads. Two-in-ones are neither good as tablets, nor good as laptops. So longer lasting devices is the primary reason, agreed it is NOT the only reason.
    Looks like the Surface Pro 4 maybe a better option, at least based in customer satisfaction.
    http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/jd-power-2017-us-tablet-satisfaction-study

With its keyboard and stand, it has a larger footprint than a laptop. It is a design joke. Those satisfied customers must have largest desks seen in history, or must have never used a laptop before.
  • Reply 45 of 51
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    This is what I want from my iPad Pro:

1. the ability to drag and drop between apps when using split view
    2. all iPad apps (with maybe the exception of games) are required to support split view
    3. a better way to switch apps when in split view mode
    4. ability to load/save media on to device and edit metadata without having to use iTunes
    5. Ability to access locally stored media via the share sheet (similar to how photos can be accessed and shared)

Give me those things and I'd probably never need to use my windows laptop again. Are those unreasonable requests? I think not. 
    1 Not possible in Touch UI. You cannot drag data such a way in iOS nor in Windows Metro UI. That requires the mouse/pointer interface.
    2 The application must be made split-view compatible. iOS provides it, it is the application's job to use it.
    3 Is this why you use a Windows laptop?
    4 There are many third party applications that load/save media. There may be also metadata editing applications. But if there is none, then complaining about iTunes is pointless, isn't it? At least there exists the iTunes solution. If you downlad and use non-standard pop-culture media formats you are on your own in editing metadata, consult the forums related to these types of files.
    5 Ability to access locally stored media via the share sheet is the job of the playback or storage application in which you store or view your media.

Check Infuse in the AppStore.
    I have a Windows laptop that is really old. I mostly use it for media storage and using iTunes to get media on to my iOS devices. Infuse is a great app. I switched to it when Apple screwed up the videos app (still not properly fixed). But I'm not aware that it allows you to change metadata, at least not if it's grabbing the videos stored in the TV app.

Regarding #4 I'm referring to music and video loaded on to my device via iTunes. As far as I know there is no way to edit metadata in the Music or TV app. And regarding #5 there is no way to share locally stored media period. Go to Library in the TV app, there isn't even a share sheet. Go to Facebook and want to upload a file the only Apple options are photos and iCloud Drive.

These are restrictions Apple has placed on iOS and iPad and for me they are reasons I can't ditch a laptop. 
  • Reply 46 of 51
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    avon b7 said:
    adyb said:
    The damn things just last too long.  
    This!

My wife's iPad 2 is 6 years old and just keeps going & going. At some point even if it doesn't die I will replace it for the ability to keep up to date with iOS updates but for its current use, it's good enough.
    My Mini 2 still feels new although I didn't update it to iOS 10. The experience has been good enough for me to get another Mini when this one is retired. That is what is really important.

Getting users to upgrade more frequently won't have a big impact on share in the short term. There is a 75% pool of non iOS tablets to gun for if that is the goal. The latest entry level iPad may be aimed at taking some.of that market.
    The latest entry level iPad may be aimed at taking some of that non IOS tablet market - It is what it is. And it should be successful at that by all accounts. It's performance is better than ALL the higher priced tablets from Android competition.
    Is any "name" Android OEM even rolling out new tablets? Certainly not a market they seem to have much interest in, with Samsung perhaps an exception. If they are it's simply more evidence that most folks really don't pay much attention to the tablet form-factor any more. No ads, promotions, articles or in-store promos from what I've observed. 
  • Reply 47 of 51

2. all iPad apps (with maybe the exception of games) are required to support split view
    4. ability to load/save media on to device and edit metadata without having to use iTunes
    5. Ability to access locally stored media via the share sheet (similar to how photos can be accessed and shared)

Give me those things and I'd probably never need to use my windows laptop again. Are those unreasonable requests? I think not. 
    1 Not possible in Touch UI. You cannot drag data such a way in iOS nor in Windows Metro UI. That requires the mouse/pointer interface.
    2 The application must be made split-view compatible. iOS provides it, it is the application's job to use it.
    4 There are many third party applications that load/save media. There may be also metadata editing applications. But if there is none, then complaining about iTunes is pointless, isn't it? At least there exists the iTunes solution. If you downlad and use non-standard pop-culture media formats you are on your own in editing metadata, consult the forums related to these types of files.
    5 Ability to access locally stored media via the share sheet is the job of the playback or storage application in which you store or view your media.

I have a Windows laptop that is really old. I mostly use it for media storage and using iTunes to get media on to my iOS devices. Infuse is a great app. I switched to it when Apple screwed up the videos app (still not properly fixed). But I'm not aware that it allows you to change metadata, at least not if it's grabbing the videos stored in the TV app.

Regarding #4 I'm referring to music and video loaded on to my device via iTunes. As far as I know there is no way to edit metadata in the Music or TV app. And regarding #5 there is no way to share locally stored media period. Go to Library in the TV app, there isn't even a share sheet. Go to Facebook and want to upload a file the only Apple options are photos and iCloud Drive.

These are restrictions Apple has placed on iOS and iPad and for me they are reasons I can't ditch a laptop. 
    If you use iTunes to upload media files, you can also use iTunes to edit the metadata. I consider two ways:
    1- choose the media file you added to iTunes and right-click "Get Info". If your file is external to iTunes, iTunes will still save the metadata in the external file. This is how it does on the Mac. Then you can upload that file to iPad.
    2- Edit the file stored in the iPad from within iTunes. In the Devices section of iTunes find your iPad, expand it to see Music, Movies, TV Shows headings. Choose the appropriate heading to bring up the list, click the file in the right pane, and choose "Get Info". Edit the metadata and iTunes will save it in the file stored in iPad. This is how it does on the Mac.

You still can't ditch your old laptop but at least use iTunes to keep your media files organized, without buying a Windows application to edit the metadata.

I don't know what you want to do with sharing but Infuse provides some sharing options including Airdrop for other iOS devices. All file downloader applications on iOS provide sharing options. Once you edit the metadata of your media files in iTunes, you can download them from your Windows laptop into that downloader application, and from there you can import into Infuse for playback.
  • Reply 48 of 51
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    sog35 said:
    These numbers are utter BULL.

Based on Apple's iPad numbers released for earnings ( 9 million iPads sold) this means that:

1. Samsung sold 6 million tablets (total and utter BS)

2. Huawei/Amazon/Lenovo combined to sell 8 million tablets (total BS)

Total and UTTER BULLSHIT. No way those companies sold even close to that many tablets.
    I would not be surprised at all the Amazon sells a ton of Fire Tablets.    They seem to be vey popular with families for the kids.    They are cheap and integrated with Amazon's ecosystem which usually has movies cheaper than Apple.    None of my friends have iPads but 3 have Amazon Fire tablets (not the kindle readers which a couple have).

Apple needs to significantly enhance the iOS for the tablet .   Add mouse (or trackpad), file , and better printer support to the iPad.    Coming out with an iOS based laptop would be good too.   Something for < 1000 to replace the iPadAir.    I've seen reviews of the Pixel C with USB C that allows you to use external storage, cell cards and , mice with it.    That's pretty cool except for the Android part.     Right now Apple makes the better product but the competition seems to be catching up will progress just isn't happening with iPad.   Hopefully Multi-user/family support should be coming to iOS soon as it was rumored to arrive in the next version of tvOS.    Its a given they need to have that ready when Apple ships a SIRI Speaker echo/google home competitor.

• Reply 49 of 51
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Is it just me, or do Apple's YoY numbers look a bit off in that table?  I'm seeing an increase.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 50 of 51
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member

If you use iTunes to upload media files, you can also use iTunes to edit the metadata. I consider two ways:
    1- choose the media file you added to iTunes and right-click "Get Info". If your file is external to iTunes, iTunes will still save the metadata in the external file. This is how it does on the Mac. Then you can upload that file to iPad.
    2- Edit the file stored in the iPad from within iTunes. In the Devices section of iTunes find your iPad, expand it to see Music, Movies, TV Shows headings. Choose the appropriate heading to bring up the list, click the file in the right pane, and choose "Get Info". Edit the metadata and iTunes will save it in the file stored in iPad. This is how it does on the Mac.

You still can't ditch your old laptop but at least use iTunes to keep your media files organized, without buying a Windows application to edit the metadata.

I don't know what you want to do with sharing but Infuse provides some sharing options including Airdrop for other iOS devices. All file downloader applications on iOS provide sharing options. Once you edit the metadata of your media files in iTunes, you can download them from your Windows laptop into that downloader application, and from there you can import into Infuse for playback.
    Thanks for the info. What I really want is to not have to use iTunes period and the ability to share media I have locally stored on my device to places like Facebook. Right now the only locally stored options for sharing to Facebook is whatever is in the photos app because Apple has decided not to expose anything other than that. I guess I'm really looking for the future of the file system brought to the iPad. And if it turns out that future looks a lot like what we have now with PCs then give us that.