Microsoft & Harman Kardon take aim at Apple, Amazon & Google with 'Invoke' smartspeaker

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    cali said:
    How do you compete against an unannounced product?

lkrupp said:
    Funny how Apple is always a ‘target’ even if they have no product to sell.

It could just be the media talking but it's true competitors panic before an Apple release like those crappy smart watches that tried to beat Apple Watch to market.
    Bixby-based speaker cobbled together in 5,4,3,2...
    pscooter63brucemcwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 22 of 38
    rfrmacrfrmac Posts: 89member
    I find that the bigger Apple gets, the slower it is in getting products out.  Does Apple have any people that read market trends?
    dacharbrucemc
  • Reply 23 of 38
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

I came on here to ask how they were "taking aim at Apple" when Apple does not have an announced product in this market, but several people have already raised that point.

I suppose the Apple version will be based on a Beats speaker. But with a screen attached.

gatorguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 38
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    "Cortana, whats the weather like tomorrow?"

Cortana - "blue screen, blue screen"

"Cortana, control alt delete"

Cortana - "restarting Invoke"
    edited May 2017 radarthekatwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 25 of 38
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    So what is going to run this thing? Is MS having someone build them an SOC to run a super stripped down Windows?

edit- 
    After reading the article again, it seems this will be a "dumb" speaker with a wi-fi and Bluetooth radio? Meaning it won't be useful as a standalone product. I guess I'll try to find that out. 
    edited May 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 38
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    hexclock said:
    So what is going to run this thing? Is MS having someone build them an SOC to run a super stripped down Windows?
    They already run Windows Mobile on ARM. I assume they would use that as a starting point.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    Soli said:
    hexclock said:
    They already run Windows Mobile on ARM. I assume they would use that as a starting point.
    Yeah you are probably right. It will be so nice to have an IOS speaker in my garage so I can tap into my music library without fiddling with my phone all the time. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 38
    hexclock said:
    Soli said:
    hexclock said:
    Yeah you are probably right. It will be so nice to have an IOS speaker in my garage so I can tap into my music library without fiddling with my phone all the time. 
    The mic system isn't as great as Echo (or Google Home, I'd assume), but you can always just leave your phone out and use "Hey Siri" now.
    watto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 29 of 38
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    Yay! MS/KH have finally released a 'smart radio'. I wonder if it will have more success than the Spot Watch...
  • Reply 30 of 38
    hexclock said:
    Soli said:
    hexclock said:
    I forgot about the MS band, a smartwatch with Cortana.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 38
    I used to like Harmon Kardon until Samsung bought it.
    watto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 32 of 38
    mac'em xmac'em x Posts: 108member
    What's a Microsoft?
    It was a 90s thing. Not important now.
    suddenly newtonwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 33 of 38
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Another news, Samsung soon to release Bixby speaker...to compete too...
    watto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 34 of 38
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    MacPro said:
    I wonder how many of the younger devotees of iPhones and Androids in the market have even heard of Microsoft?
    What's a Microsoft?

My first job was in a company that was called Microhard!
    watto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 35 of 38
    beowulfschmidtbeowulfschmidt Posts: 2,120member
    The Windows speech recognition is so freaking bad. I really wish they'd fix it there. It's utterly unusable.

That is definitely not my experience, in either Win 7 or Win 10.  Out of the box, it might have some issues, though I've used it that way as well, but 20 minutes of "training" it to understand the way I speak has made it nearly flawless.  I use it all the time, in games and dictation, and really only have a problem with it when the noise in the room is loud enough to bother me as well.  I'm using a Kinect microphone, so maybe that's the difference, though I don't know how that one compares to others.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    I really just don't get this market or why Apple would want a Me To device. These things are limited. It's locked to a single location by a power cord.  So you need 2,3, maybe 4 of these things around your house listening to people.  It seems so silly.

All the while, at any time, I can just say Hey Siri and issue whatever command I need to on my Apple Watch.  I don't have to touch it.  It has built in Homekit support.   I can set Timers, Reminders, Appointments.Tell it to tun on/off lights, adjust the temp if I had a EchoBee 3 which supports Homekit.  I can ask when the Giants play next, or even tell me a joke.  It works really well.  I also like that it's quite.  SIRI never speaks.  I can see it on the screen.  It works really good.  It works in any room in my house.  It works in the back yard and front yard and even when I'm not home.  So to me, being limited to a box plugged into a power outlet is lame!!!  It seems old school thinking to me.

Now if Apple wants to do like a Kinect type thing for Apple TV, as there is a USB3 port on them, which would give you always on Siri, along with Facetime support on your TV, that could be cool.   At least if Apple was going to do some type of lameo Box, can they at least not do the same basic thing as everyone else.  How about some sensors so you know the Inside temp.  How about Air quality sensor.  Maybe a Camera.    If a Siri Speaker is going to come out, I see no reason why I would want to buy one.  It's redundant to me.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Microsoft playing catchup and already got squashed with the Echo Show announcement. They're obviously not skating to where the puck WILL BE.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    MacPro said:
    I wonder how many of the younger devotees of iPhones and Androids in the market have even heard of Microsoft?
    They know Microsoft better than you because of Xbox. 
    I am not sure what you think you mean by 'better than you'? I knew Microsoft before they purloined C/PM before they stole the Mac OS and QuickTime and before they stole the Office concept. I say 'they' when of course I should say Gates. I guess his devotion to humanitarian projects is based in guilt for all his thefts. My point was there are many of the younger generation with zero knowledge or awareness of Microsoft as a player in the computer or mobile technology and for good reason. It's long past in computers or with mobile never really started thanks to Balmer. Hence, they have as much interest in Microsoft products as they have in any other company from another era. If they think Microsoft is nothing but Xbox then I am happy it's finally reduced to what it deserves, a game company. Mattel must be worried. /s
    edited May 2017