Apple's market cap soars past $800 billion as shares march higher on 'iPhone 8' hype

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 36
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,083member
    melgross said:
    melgross said:
    This isn't just because of rumors of the iPhone 8. In fact, I believe that most of the share price on iPhone rumors is already built into the price, and has been in the mid 140s.

    what I'm reading is a deeper reading of Apple's sheet. Several things pop up.

    apple's enterprise business is growing strongly at a 40% rate. A number of large businesses are standardizing on Apple iPhones and iPads. Macs in the enterprise are growing strongly. The deal with IBM is paying off in software and services.

    the services business itself is growing strongly, at an 18% clip.

    sales of "other" is growing at a 31% clip. Within that, Apple Watch sales have doubled YoY.

    its been pointed out that iPhone sales were actually slightly higher than last year's quarter, not lower, when considering the drawdown in the channel, which was 1.2 million last quarter, compared to 450 thousand last year's quarter.

    sales in China have been moving back up, as Cook pointed out during the call, it's up from the last two quarter;s of last year. Mac sales in China did very well. 80% of all phones sold in China above $600 are iPhones. The Chinese want the newest products, so a cycle is expected when that happens later this year, and next year for all products.

    in addition Apple is still trading at a discount, average P/E in the industry is 22, Apple's is about 18. Moving to the average would bring Apple's stock to about $183. Adding the $30.40 in cash per share, after debt, would bring the stock to about $213.

    there's more.

    so there's plenty room for improvement.
    AAPL hasn't jumped this much in a long time, I'm just guessing that Buffet's comments started a bonfire which exploded based on early stock momentum today.

    Incidentally, intraday high (so far) is $153.70. Spectacular.
    His comment went under the "there's more" segment. See, I'm getting more like Apple, and bundling a number of things together.
    Ha! (And "there's more" sounds an awful lot like "one more thing...").
    Problem is, I don't want to make the posts too long with this stuff. But, yeah, the news has more, smaller, good tidbits.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,083member

    bill42 said:
    lkrupp said:
    And just to show how f’d up the blogosphere is the trolls over at MacRumors are trashing Apple big time over this achievement. That site has become about as anti-Apple as any Android fanboy site.
    Yeah what's up with MacRumors?? I've noticed them become apple bashers over the last month or two. Very strange.
    I comment there at times, as do some others here. It's a strange mix of fanboy/anti fanboy. It's also the largest Apple based site.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 36
    jcdinkinsjcdinkins Posts: 114member
    Up strong on almost double avg daily volume.  Long investors believed this would breeze through $150 rather quickly.  I think few of us thought it would be this quickly, however Warren's comments certainly helped things in that regard.  I don't believe the $202 new price target valuing the company over $1T was the catalyst for this, as we've seen price hikes basically do nothing to affect share price in the past.  The bottom line is that this has been long overdue.  We are steadily approaching a price that truly reflects the underlying valuation of the company.  The stronger dividend paying out every quarter is a nice bonus.  Just my 2 cents.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    jcdinkinsjcdinkins Posts: 114member
    stevenoz said:
    melgross said:
    This isn't just because of rumors of the iPhone 8. In fact, I believe that most of the share price on iPhone rumors is already built into the price, and has been in the mid 140s.

    what I'm reading is a deeper reading of Apple's sheet. Several things pop up.

    apple's enterprise business is growing strongly at a 40% rate. A number of large businesses are standardizing on Apple iPhones and iPads. Macs in the enterprise are growing strongly. The deal with IBM is paying off in software and services.

    the services business itself is growing strongly, at an 18% clip.

    sales of "other" is growing at a 31% clip. Within that, Apple Watch sales have doubled YoY.

    its been pointed out that iPhone sales were actually slightly higher than last year's quarter, not lower, when considering the drawdown in the channel, which was 1.2 million last quarter, compared to 450 thousand last year's quarter.

    sales in China have been moving back up, as Cook pointed out during the call, it's up from the last two quarter;s of last year. Mac sales in China did very well. 80% of all phones sold in China above $600 are iPhones. The Chinese want the newest products, so a cycle is expected when that happens later this year, and next year for all products.

    in addition Apple is still trading at a discount, average P/E in the industry is 22, Apple's is about 18. Moving to the average would bring Apple's stock to about $183. Adding the $30.40 in cash per share, after debt, would bring the stock to about $213.

    there's more.

    so there's plenty room for improvement.

     Why don't you capitalize sentences? Punctuation, grammar, style, and the rules of writing all affect one's effectiveness to the reader.
    With an informative post such as the original one was he could write in pig latin for all I care.  He's spot on.
    pscooter63cali
  • Reply 25 of 36
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,083member
    stevenoz said:
    melgross said:
    This isn't just because of rumors of the iPhone 8. In fact, I believe that most of the share price on iPhone rumors is already built into the price, and has been in the mid 140s.

    what I'm reading is a deeper reading of Apple's sheet. Several things pop up.

    apple's enterprise business is growing strongly at a 40% rate. A number of large businesses are standardizing on Apple iPhones and iPads. Macs in the enterprise are growing strongly. The deal with IBM is paying off in software and services.

    the services business itself is growing strongly, at an 18% clip.

    sales of "other" is growing at a 31% clip. Within that, Apple Watch sales have doubled YoY.

    its been pointed out that iPhone sales were actually slightly higher than last year's quarter, not lower, when considering the drawdown in the channel, which was 1.2 million last quarter, compared to 450 thousand last year's quarter.

    sales in China have been moving back up, as Cook pointed out during the call, it's up from the last two quarter;s of last year. Mac sales in China did very well. 80% of all phones sold in China above $600 are iPhones. The Chinese want the newest products, so a cycle is expected when that happens later this year, and next year for all products.

    in addition Apple is still trading at a discount, average P/E in the industry is 22, Apple's is about 18. Moving to the average would bring Apple's stock to about $183. Adding the $30.40 in cash per share, after debt, would bring the stock to about $213.

    there's more.

    so there's plenty room for improvement.

     Why don't you capitalize sentences? Punctuation, grammar, style, and the rules of writing all affect one's effectiveness to the reader.
    For some reason, on this site, and no other, when I hit return for a new paragraph, the first word isn't capitalized. This started with 10.2.3 (beta, which is what I run on my iPads). I don't know why, and I've reported it to Apple every dot update, through the beta reporting system. It's still happening, obviously. The truth is, I at first, corrected it every time, either by hitting caps for the first letter, or afterwards, when I forgot. But it became such a hassle, since this is the only site I've had the problem, because I would often forget to hit that caps key first, slowing everything down when I had to go back and correct it. So now, I just leave it alone. If you look carefully, you'll notice that I do indeed capitalize the first word in every sentence - except for those first words to a new paragraph, other than for the first one, which is always fine. Sorry if it bothers you.
    edited May 2017 bageljoeyanantksundaramSpamSandwichfastasleepiqatedo
  • Reply 26 of 36
    Hype is overblown, but then stock was undervalued. P/E is around 17, which is finally more fair. This stock gets too much attention and manipulation to touch if you're not in it for the long haul. (As I am.) I still celebrate these daily victories though!
  • Reply 27 of 36
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    All great reasons above , plus
            1. for first time since Carl Icahn a few years ago someone seriously mentioned target at $200 or above.
           2. Saudi Aramco soon will be going public with over $1 T market cap.

    So there's a rusty nail about to stick out much higher than AAPL. Let's hope that eases Apple's ascent.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,408member
    jcdinkins said:
    Up strong on almost double avg daily volume.  Long investors believed this would breeze through $150 rather quickly.  I think few of us thought it would be this quickly, however Warren's comments certainly helped things in that regard.  I don't believe the $202 new price target valuing the company over $1T was the catalyst for this, as we've seen price hikes basically do nothing to affect share price in the past.  The bottom line is that this has been long overdue.  We are steadily approaching a price that truly reflects the underlying valuation of the company.  The stronger dividend paying out every quarter is a nice bonus.  Just my 2 cents.
    Could also be a lot of larger buyers jumping into the stock for the dividend, I suppose.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Hype is overblown, but then stock was undervalued. P/E is around 17, which is finally more fair. This stock gets too much attention and manipulation to touch if you're not in it for the long haul. (As I am.) I still celebrate these daily victories though!
    I agree. When you say "hype," you make it sound like it's unjustified boasts. I agree with potatoleeksoup that with a PE of 17, and the upcoming release of a major iPhone redesign, a better term might be "justified optimism" or "well-grounded optimism." And by the way, I do like potato leek soup as well as $150 apples.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,408member
    512ke said:
    Hype is overblown, but then stock was undervalued. P/E is around 17, which is finally more fair. This stock gets too much attention and manipulation to touch if you're not in it for the long haul. (As I am.) I still celebrate these daily victories though!
    I agree. When you say "hype," you make it sound like it's unjustified boasts. I agree with potatoleeksoup that with a PE of 17, and the upcoming release of a major iPhone redesign, a better term might be "justified optimism" or "well-grounded optimism." And by the way, I do like potato leek soup as well as $150 apples.
    If you're paying $150 for an apple, I recommend you try a farmer's market instead.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 149member
    sflocal said:
    lkrupp said:
    And just to show how f’d up the blogosphere is the trolls over at MacRumors are trashing Apple big time over this achievement. That site has become about as anti-Apple as any Android fanboy site.
    MacRumors is just the stagnant cesspool where trolls, basement dwellers, and the ex-Sog35/Avon's that got booted off of AI.  On occasion I just read the articles themselves, but don't even bother reading the forums.  The mods of Macrumors just allowed that place to rot for the sake of web-clicks.

    Ive heard that site owners/mods trolling other readers, the more war the more hits they got.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 32 of 36
    palominepalomine Posts: 362member
    melgross said:
    This isn't just because of rumors of the iPhone 8. In fact, I believe that most of the share price on iPhone rumors is already built into the price, and has been in the mid 140s.

    what I'm reading is a deeper reading of Apple's sheet. Several things pop up.

    apple's enterprise business is growing strongly at a 40% rate. A number of large businesses are standardizing on Apple iPhones and iPads. Macs in the enterprise are growing strongly. The deal with IBM is paying off in software and services.

    the services business itself is growing strongly, at an 18% clip.

    sales of "other" is growing at a 31% clip. Within that, Apple Watch sales have doubled YoY.

    its been pointed out that iPhone sales were actually slightly higher than last year's quarter, not lower, when considering the drawdown in the channel, which was 1.2 million last quarter, compared to 450 thousand last year's quarter.

    sales in China have been moving back up, as Cook pointed out during the call, it's up from the last two quarter;s of last year. Mac sales in China did very well. 80% of all phones sold in China above $600 are iPhones. The Chinese want the newest products, so a cycle is expected when that happens later this year, and next year for all products.

    in addition Apple is still trading at a discount, average P/E in the industry is 22, Apple's is about 18. Moving to the average would bring Apple's stock to about $183. Adding the $30.40 in cash per share, after debt, would bring the stock to about $213.

    there's more.

    so there's plenty room for improvement.
    AAPL hasn't jumped this much in a long time, I'm just guessing that Buffet's comments started a bonfire which exploded based on early stock momentum today.

    Incidentally, intraday high (so far) is $153.70. Spectacular.
    I have been wondering when someone at Buffet's firm would realize the value locked up in AAPL.  
    Think about it. By merely buying the stock and making a comment, Buffet can create, in effect, his own climate.
    AAPL was just sitting there, waiting for him or another large investor to try this. 

    Icahn didn't count because his reputation is terrible and he is NOT a buy and hold.

    thank you Warren!

    hey I seem to have the same capitalization bug here
    SpamSandwichSoli
  • Reply 33 of 36
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,237member
    512ke said:
    Hype is overblown, but then stock was undervalued. P/E is around 17, which is finally more fair. This stock gets too much attention and manipulation to touch if you're not in it for the long haul. (As I am.) I still celebrate these daily victories though!
    I agree. When you say "hype," you make it sound like it's unjustified boasts. I agree with potatoleeksoup that with a PE of 17, and the upcoming release of a major iPhone redesign, a better term might be "justified optimism" or "well-grounded optimism." And by the way, I do like potato leek soup as well as $150 apples.
    If you're paying $150 for an apple, I recommend you try a farmer's market instead.
    Have you been to farmer's market lately? ;-)
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 34 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,408member
    512ke said:
    Hype is overblown, but then stock was undervalued. P/E is around 17, which is finally more fair. This stock gets too much attention and manipulation to touch if you're not in it for the long haul. (As I am.) I still celebrate these daily victories though!
    I agree. When you say "hype," you make it sound like it's unjustified boasts. I agree with potatoleeksoup that with a PE of 17, and the upcoming release of a major iPhone redesign, a better term might be "justified optimism" or "well-grounded optimism." And by the way, I do like potato leek soup as well as $150 apples.
    If you're paying $150 for an apple, I recommend you try a farmer's market instead.
    Have you been to farmer's market lately? ;-)
    Are we already in hyperinflation?
  • Reply 35 of 36
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 9,536member
    I submit that Apple is already a $Trillion dollar company. $800 Billion market cap + $250 Billion cash = $1 Trillion+
Sign In or Register to comment.