Amazon announces premium touchscreen $230 Echo Show, allowing Alexa to 'show you things'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 153
    Echo, show me everything!

Image result for kingdom of the crystal skull i know everything
    SpamSandwichSoliigorskyargonautravnorodomwatto_cobraboredumb[Deleted User]
  • Reply 22 of 153
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    NY1822 said:
    Google and Facebook will be all over this...Ads, Ads, we must show more Ads. Such an innovator Bezos is....10 year old technology. What if Apple came to market with all the technology they have...take a glance at PatentlyApple.com
    I think you're ignoring the market potential here. It looks perfect for a system meant to keep kids, parents and grandparents connected.
    Oh sure,  not to mention the perverted hackers watching your family 24 x 7. 
    rotateleftbyteravnorodomcaliDavidAlGregorywatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 153
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    gatorguy said:
    NY1822 said:
    NY1822 said:
    Google and Facebook will be all over this...Ads, Ads, we must show more Ads. Such an innovator Bezos is....10 year old technology. What if Apple came to market with all the technology they have...take a glance at PatentlyApple.com
    I think you're ignoring the market potential here. It looks perfect for a system meant to keep kids, parents and grandparents connected.
    I agree there may be a market going forward as this should be the new norm....it was more on how the media is drooling over Bezos as an innovator today....Apple can't do what these other companies can do and release a product that sells 8-9 million in 3 years...
    Buffett too was "drooling over Bezos" in comments this week.
    The good thing about Bezos is his relentlessness and willingness to throw out something to see how customers react. Sometimes "good enough" is good enough.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 24 of 153
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

Soli said:
    MAU47 said:
    kent909 said:
    Does not speak to high confidence if you discount the product with a promo upon your release announcement.
    I think it's more about selling multiple devices and providing an incentive to buy 2 or more. This device doesn't really shine until you multiple or your friends all have them.
    Yeah, that seems clear by the multiple examples of video calling. They've done this with the Echo when it first arrived and with the Echo Dot when you buy multiple units.
    Video calling is a false siren. It kinda sucks. Why? Because since each person is looking at their own screen neither one is looking at the camera, which means neither party can maintain eye contact while speaking. This is faked in almost every single marketing image (or movie or tv show) involving video chat.
    I don't care for FaceTiming, but that's because I find it an inefficient use of time. Same for phone calls. Let me respond in text on my own time… but I'm not everyone, and I know gobs of people that love to use FaceTime. This desire seems to increase with age so I can see this working, not to mention the million other features it has.

For me, if the Echo isn't ideal for an audible command and response, I'll grab my iPhone or Mac, but this will be handy in the kitchen for someone who didn't plan well and has their hands taken up by other activities. Then the nightstand for the baby monitor and front door camera. Amazon has done well to make their devices connect easily with a smart home and this opens up their 3rd-party apps considerably.
  • Reply 25 of 153

Soli said:

kent909 said:
    Does not speak to high confidence if you discount the product with a promo upon your release announcement.
    I think they are going to sell a lot of these.
    I can see it selling more than units than the original Echo.
    How many was that again?
    Morgan Stanley states over 11 million.

Anecdotally, I own 2, and personally know of roughly 18 people owning about 2 dozen devices. Almost 2.5 years and still loving the original.
    edited May 2017 DavidAlGregory
  • Reply 26 of 153
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member
    If it is ugly or not is a question of taste. It's functional. The angular styling might be the next big thing (again). If they sell a lot of them and the styling becomes tired, it wil motivate people to upgrade later on. Could be a masterstroke.

Although it isn't my style personally, if I were in the market for one, the white version looks decent in the photos.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 27 of 153
    NY1822 said:
    I think you're overestimating the concerns of people. If people were REALLY concerned about privacy they'd never use Facebook, Instagram, Google, Tinder, etc.
    anantksundarammuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 28 of 153
    I would LOVE a portable version that you can fit in your pock... Oh wait!
    redraider11igorskyargonautRayz2016ravnorodombrucemcpscooter63watto_cobramathteacherboredumb
  • Reply 29 of 153
    I would LOVE a portable version that you can fit in your pock... Oh wait!
    Haha.
  • Reply 30 of 153
    NY1822 said:
    It's weird that this concern is only a concern with Echo—despite no evidence that Amazon's products are easily hackable—and when you already have cameras, microphones throughout your home. Do you not know there's a camera look at you and away from you every time you use a smartphone or tablet? Where was your concern then? What about using a PC? What about hackers using key-loggers, grabbing screenshots, and basically stealing your identity?
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 31 of 153
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    Soli said:
    NY1822 said:
    1) How is Alexa 10 year old technology?

2) Why would you think this will have ads from Google and Facebook when this is an Amazon controlled device? Does Alexa currently push ads out before or during a query?
    Voice technology is at least 10 years old ...Siri was released 6 years ago and was in the works years before that. Technology that hits the market today was invented 5 years before coming to market in some cases.

My point is Google and Facebook will create their own hardware as a platform to show more ads
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 153
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    So basically this is a niche device for the kitchen. As far as connecting with parents or kids can't you do that already with your phone or tablet using FaceTime, Skype etc.?
    redraider11igorskyargonautMetriacanthosaurusStrangeDays
  • Reply 33 of 153
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    Soli said:

Soli said:

kent909 said:
    I think they are going to sell a lot of these.
    I can see it selling more than units than the original Echo.
    How many was that again?
    Morgan Stanley states over 11 million.

Anecdotally, I own 2, and personally know of roughly 18 people owning about 2 dozen devices. Almost 2.5 years and still loving the original.
    some of which sold for as low as $30 during promotions...echo dot
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 153
    NY1822 said:
    Voice technology is at least 10 years old ...Siri was released 6 years ago and was in the works years before that. Technology that hits the market today was invented 5 years before coming to market in some cases.

My point is Google and Facebook will create their own hardware as a platform to show more ads
    "Voice technology" has existed a lot longer than 10 years. What does that have to do with Alexa as a digital personal assistant or the Echo family has offering an amazing range of voice commands and Skills (3rd-party apps)? If Amazon coming out with Alexa after Apple launched Siri means it shouldn't exist, then neither should Siri.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 35 of 153
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    A lot of frickin' naysayers here. No one's holding a gun to anyone's head to buy this. I applaud Amazon for doing this, and pushing the envelope. This is the type of CE device that Apple should have gotten in front of, ages ago. Maybe Apple will do something similar some day (let's hope so), but it seems like a lot of 'sour grapes' to bitch and moan about someone trying to do it now.

I can see why lots of people will get a lot out of it. That said, I am not wildly enthusiastic about its aesthetics, so it's not for me.
    edited May 2017 gatorguymuthuk_vanalingamSpamSandwichmathteacher
  • Reply 36 of 153
    stickistastickista Posts: 23member
    Cool... an iPad that's too clumsy to move and too small to see.
    Winner!
    patchythepirateredraider11argonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 153
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 752member
    Some of the defenses of this thing are hilarious.  "Nobody is forcing you to buy it", "its design is personal taste", etc.  How come none of you Amazon apologists present the same defense for Apple products?  Just goes to show how much of a double-standard there is in tech.

As far as the Echo Show goes...it couldn't be any more inconvenient or redundant when compared to the smartphone you have in your pocket right now.
    StrangeDaysbrucemcpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 153
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Wow, add a keyboard and you have an original Macintosh.
    igorskyravnorodompscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 153
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    hmlongco said:
    They certainly didn't waste any money on design, did they? It kind of looks like a plastic "Future Phone" you could have bought at RadioShack back in the day...
    I do like its functional simplicity though.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 40 of 153
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 752member
    Fatman said:
    Amazon should license this thing to refrigerator manufacturers.
    I think standing in front of your refrigerator to talk to someone is an awesome idea.

Nah I'm kidding.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra