Amazon announces premium touchscreen $230 Echo Show, allowing Alexa to 'show you things'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 153
    the telescreens from 1984!
    argonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 153
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    sog35 said:
    tzeshan said:
    This is essentially a repackaged tablet.  Who will pay $230 on such a cheap tablet?
    A tablet that can't be cordless
    While I have issues with Siri's lack of ability to respond meaningfully to a large number of commands (such as setting a meeting with someone that is not in the Contacts list; or scheduling meetings in an Outlook Calendar; or play music on Bluetooth speakers; and so on); I would appreciate it if Apple came
     out with accessories that make Siri more useful at home, rather than a new product. For example, Apple, or a third party manufacturer, could release "Siri Dots" with good microphones that connect to the iPhone Siri via Bluetooth or AirPlay. Or sell a stand with built-in speakers and microphones (so the bottom part of this Amazon Echo Show). We will see soon.

(The bigger issue that Apple has is the limited usefulness of Siri, eg, it cannot yet actually do a lot of stuff...)
  • Reply 43 of 153
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    Soli said:
    NY1822 said:
    Voice technology is at least 10 years old ...Siri was released 6 years ago and was in the works years before that. Technology that hits the market today was invented 5 years before coming to market in some cases.

My point is Google and Facebook will create their own hardware as a platform to show more ads
    "Voice technology" has existed a lot longer than 10 years. What does that have to do with Alexa as a digital personal assistant or the Echo family has offering an amazing range of voice commands and Skills (3rd-party apps)? If Amazon coming out with Alexa after Apple launched Siri means it shouldn't exist, then neither should Siri.
    Your points have nothing to do with my original statement....The point was Bezos as an innovator...the word innovator is thrown around too loosely...i don't consider someone an innovator if they come out with a product that has already existed in some shape or form. I am not knocking the product (one that has sold around 10 million in 3 years with price points ranging from $30 with promotions to $200)
    pscooter63
  • Reply 44 of 153
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    tzeshan said:
    This is essentially a repackaged tablet.  Who will pay $230 on such a cheap tablet?
    Exaclty 
    watto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 45 of 153
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    the Amazon dash buttons are more innovating that this 
  • Reply 46 of 153
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    NY1822 said:
    Soli said:
    NY1822 said:
    Voice technology is at least 10 years old ...Siri was released 6 years ago and was in the works years before that. Technology that hits the market today was invented 5 years before coming to market in some cases.

My point is Google and Facebook will create their own hardware as a platform to show more ads
    "Voice technology" has existed a lot longer than 10 years. What does that have to do with Alexa as a digital personal assistant or the Echo family has offering an amazing range of voice commands and Skills (3rd-party apps)? If Amazon coming out with Alexa after Apple launched Siri means it shouldn't exist, then neither should Siri.
    Your points have nothing to do with my original statement....The point was Bezos as an innovator...the word innovator is thrown around too loosely...i don't consider someone an innovator if they come out with a product that has already existed in some shape or form. I am not knocking the product (one that has sold around 10 million in 3 years with price points ranging from $30 with promotions to $200)
    It's good to know you don't think Apple is an innovator. I disagree, but you're entailed to believe Apple is an unorginal, me-too company.
    edited May 2017 gatorguy
  • Reply 47 of 153
    pepe779pepe779 Posts: 84member
    I still find it hard to believe how these companies are clearly out of truly innovative ideas and instead fool people with products that offer zero added value and - most of all - that people are actually buying it. I have said it before and will say it again - there's no reason whatsoever to buy and use this product instead of simply using an iPad (or any other tablet for that matter) with its voice assistant enabled and listening. I thought price may be at least one possible justification here, but now I see that's not the case either. But if anybody can think of at least one solid use case for these "smart speakers" (something your tablet or smarphone can't do or perhaps isn't suitable for), please, let me know, because I guess I'm just not getting it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 153
    So basically this is a niche device for the kitchen. As far as connecting with parents or kids can't you do that already with your phone or tablet using FaceTime, Skype etc.?
    I would like an Apple-version of this type of device for the kitchen counter.

A counter fixture that has a Today View for the family's events, weather info, Siri, FaceTime, etc. My house would get a lot of use out of that. In some ways, more convenient than using someone's iPad, which is what happens today.

IMO this product I have in mind from Apple is no way shape or form similar to the Echo or Home products' use case.
  • Reply 49 of 153
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Anyone with parents or grandparents will immediately see the appeal of having multiples of these devices.
  • Reply 50 of 153
    So basically this is a niche device for the kitchen. As far as connecting with parents or kids can't you do that already with your phone or tablet using FaceTime, Skype etc.?

A counter fixture that has a Today View for the family's events, weather info, Siri, FaceTime, etc. My house would get a lot of use out of that. In some ways, more convenient than using someone's iPad, which is what happens today.

IMO this product I have in mind from Apple is no way shape or form similar to the Echo or Home products' use case.
    You can get a used iPad for less than $200 and a new one for under #300 and nothing prevents you from fixing it to your kitchen counter. I don't know if it's just me but this Echo Show concept is just one epic and absurd rip off.
    brucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 153
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    pepe779 said:

You can get a used iPad for less than $200 and a new one for under #300 and nothing prevents you from fixing it to your kitchen counter. I don't know if it's just me but this Echo Show concept is just one epic and absurd rip off.
    I think they are really on the leading edge of creating the market for an in-home artificial intelligence companion/ assistant for millions of people.
  • Reply 52 of 153
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Wow, that's ironic.
    The Echo and Dot are nice looking and you can hide them out of sight but this thing is ugly and has to be visible.

I have 4 Dots and there is no way I'd replace any of them with this 80's design throw back.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 53 of 153
    rotateleftbyterotateleftbyte Posts: 1,630member
    NY1822 said:

My point is Google and Facebook will create their own hardware as a platform to show ONLY ads unless the voice assistant is being used

There fixed it for you.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 153
    teejay2012teejay2012 Posts: 370member
    If it stops working or is generally not useful, it is perfect shape for a doorstop.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 153
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    pepe779 said:
    I still find it hard to believe how these companies are clearly out of truly innovative ideas and instead fool people with products that offer zero added value and - most of all - that people are actually buying it. I have said it before and will say it again - there's no reason whatsoever to buy and use this product instead of simply using an iPad (or any other tablet for that matter) with its voice assistant enabled and listening. I thought price may be at least one possible justification here, but now I see that's not the case either. But if anybody can think of at least one solid use case for these "smart speakers" (something your tablet or smarphone can't do or perhaps isn't suitable for), please, let me know, because I guess I'm just not getting it.
    Better microphones that actually understand what you are trying to say. That's it.
  • Reply 56 of 153
    pepe779 said:

I think they are really on the leading edge of creating the market for an in-home artificial intelligence companion/ assistant for millions of people.
    In what way exactly? People who use their smartphones/tablets on a daily basis have absolutely no need for such dedicated (and overpriced) device. People who avoid any technology beyond their flip phones are not going to use this in any shape or form either. Most of the people who actually bought the Echo speaker only did it because of the hype, but I don't know a single person still actually using it. You call it artificial intelligence companion for your home, I call it a feature that's been separated from your smartphone/tablet and is now being sold for the price of your whole smartphone/tablet. Truly wise move Amazon, I applaud you.
    brucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 153
    rotateleftbyterotateleftbyte Posts: 1,630member
    pepe779 said:

I think they are really on the leading edge of creating the market for an in-home always on spy and ad slinger that is totally indepedant of current Ad delivery channels.
    No AI
    No Companion/Assistant.

The thing is there just to sell you stuff from Amazon and only Amazon.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 153
    omasouomasou Posts: 572member
    A desktop iPad + Siri...brilliant
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 59 of 153
    sflagel said:
    pepe779 said:
    Better microphones that actually understand what you are trying to say. That's it.
    Okay well I'm not a native english speaker yet I rarely ever had/have any issues having Siri understand me. But yes, fair enough, this is a good argument, although some real world testing would probably be in order to actually confirm how much better it truly is.
  • Reply 60 of 153
    ravnorodomravnorodom Posts: 697member
    evilution said:
    Wow, that's ironic.
    The Echo and Dot are nice looking and you can hide them out of sight but this thing is ugly and has to be visible.

I have 4 Dots and there is no way I'd replace any of them with this 80's design throw back.
    Decorate your room like in the 80's with ET poster and you are good to go.
    suddenly newton