Apple Music to debut 'Harry Styles: Behind the Album' on May 15

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple on Tuesday announced a new promotional documentary about former One Direction singer Harry Styles, set to launch on Apple Music next Monday, May 15.

Titled "Harry Styles: Behind the Album," the film will depict the creation of Harry's first solo album, with interviews and other footage shot in London, Los Angeles, and Jamaica, Apple said. This includes song performances from London's Abbey Road Studios.

Apple is already streaming "Sign of the Times," the first single from the upcoming record.

Moving forward. @Harry_Styles: #BehindTheAlbum
May 15.
Only on Apple Music. pic.twitter.com/7WC7j6233k

-- Apple Music (@AppleMusic)

The company is now leaning heavily into video on Apple Music, and may premiere up to 10 original shows and documentaries by the end of 2017. Some known entries include documentaries about Bad Boy Records, Clive Davis, and Cash Money Records, as well as the shows "Planet of the Apps" and "Carpool Karaoke" -- the latter delayed from April until "later this year."

The effort is presumably an attempt to distinguish Apple Music from its more popular rival in on-demand streaming, Spotify, as well as smaller competitors like Pandora Premium and Tidal.

Apple is reportedly talking with numerous executives in the film and TV industry, and expanding its footprint in Los Angeles, possibly to set up studio space or even buy Sony Pictures Entertainment.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Fascinating 
    SpamSandwichretrogusto[Deleted User]argonaut
  • Reply 2 of 6
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I don't know who this is. Should I?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    sdw2001 said:
    Fascinating 
    LOL!
  • Reply 4 of 6
    darkpawdarkpaw Posts: 212member
    *Another* reason not to subscribe to Apple Music.

Seriously, I know Apple think their entire user base consists of teenagers, but it really doesn't. I don't care about James Sodding Corden's Carpool Karaoke, our William's "App Something or Other". And barely anyone cares about Harry Styles.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    darkpaw said:
    *Another* reason not to subscribe to Apple Music.

Seriously, I know Apple think their entire user base consists of teenagers, but it really doesn't. I don't care about James Sodding Corden's Carpool Karaoke, our William's "App Something or Other". And barely anyone cares about Harry Styles.
    (Emphasis mine) LOL!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,109member
    I guess maybe this is like the way cigarette companies used to (and maybe still do) market to young people (including those too young to legally smoke), even if that wasn't necessarily their core existing user demographic. But it's less depraved when your product is actually a good one, and not toxic, even if I would personally rather see a cigarette ad than listen to Harry Styles.