Amazon announces premium touchscreen $230 Echo Show, allowing Alexa to 'show you things'

Comments

• Reply 121 of 153
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    AI_lias said:
    This is a specialized device, an appliance for very specific uses. Apple fans should understand this better than anyone, since Apple does this also. Sure, you have Siri on your phone, but this thing stands with its microphones ready to hear you. That's a big difference. The same difference between connecting your laptop To your TV via AirPlay mirroring, or buying an Apple TV. These small convenience factors add up and are the difference between using the technology or not. 
    Exactly. The old term, "information appliance" applies to this perfectly.
  • Reply 122 of 153
    NY1822 said:
    What if Apple came to market with all the technology they have...take a glance at PatentlyApple.com
    The problem is Apple has more notions than a shelter dog has fleas and has the attention span of a housefly. There is not a single Mac in the lineup that is up to date on HW specs from the cheapest Mac mini to the most overpriced Mac Pro (not really) Trashcan HTPC. Not really into $1600 "pro" laptops with Vampire Video.

Airport Extreme and Express  have been allowed to languish. The Mac App store is full of cobwebs. When is the last time you saw anything new on iTunes U, iBooks, iTunes, Garage Band. The Apple TV still cannot do 4k and has no streaming service years and years after the fact.

Oh that's right , we got the Gizmo Bar on the Mac (Not) Pro and Balloons on Messages. Apple is really innovating.
    edited May 2017 king editor the gratebrucemc
  • Reply 123 of 153
    avon b7 said:
    If it is ugly or not is a question of taste. It's functional. The angular styling might be the next big thing (again). If they sell a lot of them and the styling becomes tired, it wil motivate people to upgrade later on. Could be a masterstroke.

Although it isn't my style personally, if I were in the market for one, the white version looks decent in the photos.
    Unlike Apple, Amazon will not let 2013 technology be sold at full price as a Pro device.
    Apple only cares about renting you music and selling you a cell phone. The rest, not so much.
    But we do have a new line of watch bands...
    king editor the gratebrucemc
  • Reply 124 of 153
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    The thing about all these home assistant speaker platforms is that they are proprietary. Echo is not going to show you Ebay products or let you chat with Skype users. I would rather open up my MBP and put it on the kitchen counter. It is not actually more expensive in reality because I already have a MBP. That way there are fewer compromises. It can do anything. Perhaps it doesn't have as many mics but if you need to interact with it just stand a little closer. More secure as well.
    brucemc
  • Reply 125 of 153
    tzeshan said:
    spacekid said:
    Hopefully for Apple's similar product, they allow facetime. I've been hoping for facetime with AppleTV so we can all sit around the TV and talk to family but that hasn't happened.
    Why can't you use iPad for FaceTime? 
    Why would you want to hold a mobile device when you can have it in your TV?
    A lot of us see a Cell Phone as a necessary nuisance - not a godsend. If Apple sold a version of the iPad that functioned as a cellphone (complete- not VoIP apps) I would never buy another phone.
  • Reply 126 of 153
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    volcan said:
    The thing about all these home assistant speaker platforms is that they are proprietary. Echo is not going to show you Ebay products or let you chat with Skype users. I would rather open up my MBP and put it on the kitchen counter. It is not actually more expensive in reality because I already have a MBP. That way there are fewer compromises. It can do anything. Perhaps it doesn't have as many mics but if you need to interact with it just stand a little closer. More secure as well.
    1) Why can't Skype or eBay create a Skill for Echo?

2) It's no more proprietary than an IOS-based device. You know Apple competes with company and offers their apps on their App Store, right?

3) The point of this device to be primarily used with voice. You can't even do that with a Mac without touching it to invoke Siri.
  • Reply 127 of 153
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Soli said:
    Marvin said:
    tzeshan said:
    This is essentially a repackaged tablet.  Who will pay $230 on such a cheap tablet?
    Yeah, you can put an iPad on a stand and do the same thing and it looks better with a bigger display:
    How is that the same? The UI isn't designed to display information without ever being touched, and then you have the core HW not being nearly as useful in an iPad for a digital personal assistant. Put your iPad next to an Echo and try making a request across a room, then tell me which one has better mics. Now play music. Which one has better speakers? The comparison isn't even close.
    You can set iPad without auto lock .  
  • Reply 128 of 153
    tzeshan said:
    Soli said:
    Marvin said:
    tzeshan said:
    This is essentially a repackaged tablet.  Who will pay $230 on such a cheap tablet?
    Yeah, you can put an iPad on a stand and do the same thing and it looks better with a bigger display:
    How is that the same? The UI isn't designed to display information without ever being touched, and then you have the core HW not being nearly as useful in an iPad for a digital personal assistant. Put your iPad next to an Echo and try making a request across a room, then tell me which one has better mics. Now play music. Which one has better speakers? The comparison isn't even close.
    "I like turtles" would've been a more meaningful reply.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 129 of 153
    pepe779pepe779 Posts: 84member
    Soli said:
    tzeshan said:
    Soli said:
    Marvin said:
    tzeshan said:
    "I like turtles" would've been a more meaningful reply.
    No Soli, this actually brings up a good point. It shows you that the iPad offers enough flexibility and variability, while the Echo is perhaps too simple. So really, since you've been defending the Echo so much, tell us how security works with the Echo? Is it that anybody can instruct Alexa to do or reveal anything he/she wants? Unlock garage door? Reveal security information?
  • Reply 130 of 153
    kamiltonkamilton Posts: 282member
    This will sell @ 60% Echo, maybe, and it'll suck in execution.  Apple already has stuff like this in prototype.
  • Reply 131 of 153
    Marvin said:
    tzeshan said:

A special stand could have better speakers/mics in it.

Yep.

When iOS devices first started becoming popular, a lot of speaker dock options appeared, but these did not have mics built-in. It seems like Bluetooth speakers have more or less taken over (many now with at least a cheap mic built-in to allow speaker-phone functionality). Now may be a good time for Apple and other accessory providers to re-visit the speaker dock concept, but with good quality mics. Siri may not have all the "skills" that Alexa has, but reports indicate it is getting better. (Don't ask me, I don't use Siri all that much). I do think parking an iPad on a stand/dock with good speakers/mics is a fine idea. This would be a good way to use an older (Siri-capable) iPad, and not feel so bad about just leaving it there.
  • Reply 132 of 153
    Marvin said:
    tzeshan said:

Yep.

When iOS devices first started becoming popular, a lot of speaker dock options appeared, but these did not have mics built-in. It seems like Bluetooth speakers have more or less taken over (many now with at least a cheap mic built-in to allow speaker-phone functionality). Now may be a good time for Apple and other accessory providers to re-visit the speaker dock concept, but with good quality mics. Siri may not have all the "skills" that Alexa has, but reports indicate it is getting better. (Don't ask me, I don't use Siri all that much). I do think parking an iPad on a stand/dock with good speakers/mics is a fine idea. This would be a good way to use an older (Siri-capable) iPad, and not feel so bad about just leaving it there.
    1) The difference isn't just in the HW, it's the UI. An iDevice's primary input is your finger, not your voice.

2) This is a very expensive, modular option but you think Apple will do this over having a dedicated device? Seems extremely unlikely to me.
  • Reply 133 of 153
    Soli said:
    Marvin said:
    tzeshan said:

Yep.

1) The difference isn't just in the HW, it's the UI. An iDevice's primary input is your finger, not your voice.

2) This is a very expensive, modular option but you think Apple will do this over having a dedicated device? Seems extremely unlikely to me.
    1) The UI issue could be addressed with, as some have suggested, an approach like CarPlay. Maybe an app is offered that could be chosen to be default (using Guided Access?) that would be less dependent on touch?

2) Yes, the modular option would not be cheap with a new iPad and a separate dock concept. But the dock concept would at least allow the option to use an older device. I dunno, I think Apple might do this. I also think a dedicated device might not be all that cheap.
  • Reply 134 of 153
    Soli said:
    Marvin said:
    tzeshan said:

Yep.

1) The UI issue could be addressed with, as some have suggested, an approach like CarPlay. Maybe an app is offered that could be chosen to be default (using Guided Access?) that would be less dependent on touch?

2) Yes, the modular option would not be cheap with a new iPad and a separate dock concept. But the dock concept would at least allow the option to use an older device. I dunno, I think Apple might do this. I also think a dedicated device might not be all that cheap.
    Does any of that sound like anything Apple would ever do?
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 135 of 153
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Marvin said:
    tzeshan said:

Yep.

Does any of tha sound like anything Apple would ever do?
    Hmmm. I had to think about that one.

I'll say "yes," but they would do it in a way I couldn't imagine.
  • Reply 136 of 153
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    This is very ugly ass piece of tech...seriously!
  • Reply 137 of 153
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 808member
    If Apple wants to be competitive in this market, Siri has to be smarter.  Alexa understands about 65-70% of my request while Siri only 20-25%.
  • Reply 138 of 153
    If Apple wants to be competitive in this market, Siri has to be smarter.  Alexa understands about 65-70% of my request while Siri only 20-25%.
    Does it not hear the query correctly or does it hear it correctly but doesn't understand how to correctly parse it?
  • Reply 139 of 153
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Oof, Phil Shiller just got a bit deflated.
    ravnorodom
  • Reply 140 of 153
    pepe779pepe779 Posts: 84member
    So apparently Soli is very selective in what he responds to and he certainly knows why. Based on the brief research I have done in the meantime it really looks like Alexa offers no voice recognition and can be fully controlled by anybody who talks to it. Amazon basically didn't bother implementing any security into these Echo speakers. That's outright scary in my opinion and until Amazon addresses this hole it should simply be completely banned from any home security automation solutions. I guess it's also hard to believe how careless people are about their own security since these Echo speakers are already being utilized for similar solutions.