Apple becomes first US firm to cross $800B market cap threshold

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited May 2017
After achieving a market capitalization above $800 billion in after hours trading on Monday, Apple on Tuesday became the first U.S. company in history to cross that market value border on a closing basis.

Apple stock ended the day up one percent to close at $153.99, granting the tech giant a market cap of just under $803 billion. The company's closing stock performance echoes a performance put in during after hours trading on Monday, when Apple first passed the $800 billion mark after shares surged past $153.

The latest development continues a string of stock achievements for the world's most valuable company. In February of 2015, Apple became the first U.S. firm to close with a market cap above $700 billion in a run that peaked at $775 billion before receding. Apple's regained super-$700 billion levels in February.

Apple's iPhone is in large part responsible for nearly a decade of booming revenues. Amidst economic headwinds in China and slowing domestic demand, the popular smartphone saw its first ever year-over-year decline in sales in the second fiscal quarter of 2016. The downward trend has continued through to the most recent quarter, the lone bright spot being last year's holiday quarter.

The company saw another iPhone sales contraction during the three-month period ending in March, though revenue was up slightly due to a higher mix of iPhone 7 Plus sales. In a conference call last week, CEO Tim Cook said demand for the phablet was stronger than expected, leading to initial supply constraints. The mix toward iPhone 7 Plus pushed iPhone's average selling price up to $655 for the quarter, as compared to $642 in the same period in 2016.

Aside from iPhone, Apple is quickly growing its services business, which raked in $7.04 billion for the quarter and is on track to become the size of a Fortune 100 company by the end of the year. Wearables, which Apple considers Apple Watch, AirPods and Beats products, is another quickly growing segment that if broken out into its own category would be the size of a Fortune 500 company. Currently, Apple lumps wearables in with iPod and various accessories as "other" revenue.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    macseekermacseeker Posts: 545member
    Yay! I'm happy. Hopefully by the end of the year, Apple will be over 1 trillion.
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 2 of 18
    kamiltonkamilton Posts: 282member
    The end
    is preeexistent
    In the means

• Reply 3 of 18
    Do any of you remember the calls for an Apple $1T market cap back in 2012? And exactly where did it get us? So many greedy or trusting investors lost billions of dollars. Andy Zaky was telling everyone to double down on Apple stock. Yeah, thanks, Andy, for your wonderful insight (I stayed pat and didn't buy any extra shares, so no big losses for me). I'm only saying Wall Street absolutely can't be trusted. They can love Apple one day and hate it the next. Personally, I think they're still hating Apple but can't do anything about Apple's share price rise. Now they've just become sheep.

Warren Buffett is now Apple's biggest cheerleader and protector. Most of the big investors don't have the balls to contradict Buffett and his Berkshire Hathaway crew's support of Apple. I can't imagine any big investor saying Buffett is an idiot for backing Apple right to Buffett's face. Suddenly there are all these cockroaches coming out of the woodwork saying they finally see the value in Apple. Yeah, they see the value after it has gone up considerably. Six months back they were putting all their money into the FANG stocks and loudly proclaiming Apple had seen its day. They're nothing but self-serving SOBs who'd sell their mothers for a good stock tip.

Try not to get carried away with all this recent Apple chatter and believe in Apple as always, but don't keep thinking it's going to keep climbing. It's not a FANG stock and it's not Tesla. Those companies don't have to prove anything as they've been given a free pass in terms of P/E. For those companies, only the future matters. With Apple, cash in hand is the only thing that matters. I sincerely hope Apple might reach $1T market cap but I'd prefer to have higher dividends so I don't have to rely on Wall Street to give decent value to Apple. If Apple can reach a share price of $160 and maintains it until the end of the year, I'll consider myself very lucky.  I sincerely hope the Apple short-sellers get pounded hard.  I despise people hoping and betting on companies to fail.  It's just so perverse and destructive to companies and employees.
    edited May 2017 RonnnieOanantksundaramwatto_cobrastourque
  • Reply 4 of 18
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I stayed pat and didn't buy any extra shares, so no big losses for me.
    None at all, and if you had doubled down you'd have made more over what you had invested, as of this post.
    edited May 2017 pscooter63fastasleepretrogustocali
  • Reply 5 of 18
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Apple is doomed.
    cali
  • Reply 6 of 18
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Do any of you remember the calls for an Apple $1T market cap back in 2012? And exactly where did it get us? So many greedy or trusting investors lost billions of dollars. Andy Zaky was telling everyone to double down on Apple stock. Yeah, thanks, Andy, for your wonderful insight (I stayed pat and didn't buy any extra shares, so no big losses for me). I'm only saying Wall Street absolutely can't be trusted. They can love Apple one day and hate it the next. Personally, I think they're still hating Apple but can't do anything about Apple's share price rise. Now they've just become sheep.

Warren Buffett is now Apple's biggest cheerleader and protector. Most of the big investors don't have the balls to contradict Buffett and his Berkshire Hathaway crew's support of Apple. I can't imagine any big investor saying Buffett is an idiot for backing Apple right to Buffett's face. Suddenly there are all these cockroaches coming out of the woodwork saying they finally see the value in Apple. Yeah, they see the value after it has gone up considerably. Six months back they were putting all their money into the FANG stocks and loudly proclaiming Apple had seen its day. They're nothing but self-serving SOBs who'd sell their mothers for a good stock tip.

Try not to get carried away with all this recent Apple chatter and believe in Apple as always, but don't keep thinking it's going to keep climbing. It's not a FANG stock and it's not Tesla. Those companies don't have to prove anything as they've been given a free pass in terms of P/E. For those companies, only the future matters. With Apple, cash in hand is the only thing that matters. I sincerely hope Apple might reach $1T market cap but I'd prefer to have higher dividends so I don't have to rely on Wall Street to give decent value to Apple. If Apple can reach a share price of $160 and maintains it until the end of the year, I'll consider myself very lucky.  I sincerely hope the Apple short-sellers get pounded hard.  I despise people hoping and betting on companies to fail.  It's just so perverse and destructive to companies and employees.
    Wall Street does not hate Apple...

...but Wall Street doesn't get Apple. 
    pscooter63retrogustojony0
  • Reply 7 of 18
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    tzeshan said:
    Apple is doomed.
    ...the new version of Godwin's Law...?
    lkrupp
  • Reply 8 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    macseeker said:
    Yay! I'm happy. Hopefully by the end of the year, Apple will be over 1 trillion.
    As I have posited elsewhere I think Apple is already a $1 Trillion dollar company. $800 Billion market cap + $250 Billion cash on hand = $1 Trillion+  valuation in my book.
    edited May 2017 watto_cobrapalominecali
  • Reply 9 of 18
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,078member
    lkrupp said:
    macseeker said:
    As I have posited elsewhere I think Apple is already a $1 Trillion dollar company. $800 Billion market cap + $250 Billion cash on hand = $1 Trillion+  valuation in my book.
    The market capitalization already accounts for that cash. The market values the company at whatever price AAPL is trading at per share based on all the factors it is aware of, including how much cash and debt the company has. If that cash were to disappear (i.e., with no other effects, e.g. reducing the outstanding shares count because it was used to buy back shares), the market would not value AAPL the same.

Also, net of debt Apple had a little over $150 billion as of the end of the second quarter. Its cash pile, net of debt, hasn't been growing that fast in recent years because it's returned an amount roughly equivalent to its total net earnings (but somewhat less than its positive cash flow) to investors.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 10 of 18
    This article says the first US firm to crack $800B. So what non-US firms have done this?
  • Reply 11 of 18
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    This article says the first US firm to crack $800B. So what non-US firms have done this?
    None that I know of. The only one might be Saudi Aramco, if it went public.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Arguably, PetroChina.

But arguably is an important qualifier in this case.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    carnegie said:
    Arguably, PetroChina.

If you use the qualifier of publicly traded companies, and not state-owned entities, then Apple would be the first.

Mind you, this is not inflation adjusted, so other firms have been valued higher in real dollars than Apple is today.
    http://thepoliticalbrigade.yuku.com/topic/13932/VALUABLE-COMPANIES-HISTORY-ADJUSTED-INFLATION

• Reply 14 of 18
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    AAPL hit new high of $156.42 this morning.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 15 of 18
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    boredumb said:
    As the length of a conversation about Apple's new products increases, the likelihood of someone mentioning Steve Jobs approaches 100%.
    edited May 2017 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 16 of 18
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    boredumb said:
    As the length of a conversation about Apple's new products increases, the likelihood of someone mentioning Steve Jobs approaches 100%.
    Possibly even 110%!
  • Reply 17 of 18
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    boredumb said:
    Possibly even 110%!
    One more thing…

Steve Jobs is dead.

(I can't get the Spoiler markup to work) :\

edited May 2017
  • Reply 18 of 18
    brucemc said:
    carnegie said:
    Arguably, PetroChina.

If you use the qualifier of publicly traded companies, and not state-owned entities, then Apple would be the first.

Mind you, this is not inflation adjusted, so other firms have been valued higher in real dollars than Apple is today.
    http://thepoliticalbrigade.yuku.com/topic/13932/VALUABLE-COMPANIES-HISTORY-ADJUSTED-INFLATION

PetroChina is both publicly traded and effectively majority state owned. But it being majority state owned is not, in itself, why I suggested that its peak market capitalization (from a decade ago) is arguable.