'iPhone 8' rendering pops up, based on CAD files allegedly used for construction

Posted:
in iPhone
Prolific electronics leaker OnLeaks has posted a rendered video of the "iPhone 8" that was crafted off of an alleged CAD schematic of the casing of the phone.

The 25-second long video created by Gear India shows a render similar, but not identical to a fabrication from the end of April. It illustrates a possible glass sandwich design, an edge-to-edge screen, a camera protrusion with centered flash between two lens elements, and an overall thicker enclosure than the iPhone 7.

However, OnLeaks isn't convinced that the render is perfectly accurate, and cites that Apple is working on several potential designs for the phone.

@abdophoto @GearIndia I hope so as I can't confirm this is 100% accurate... Wait & See... ;)

-- OnLeaks (@OnLeaks)

On April 13, a sketchy diagram clearly labeled as an EVT, or Engineering Validation Test, first appeared, featuring a device thicker than that of the iPhone SE, currently the thickest iPhone that Apple produces.

Later in the month, a href="http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/04/19/another-alleged-iphone-8-schematic-shows-touch-id-home-button-on-back-of-device-vertical-camera">a conflicting schematic appeared, altering flash position, and some other factors. The measurements showed a phone with equal dimensions to the leak earlier in the week.

On April 24, a purported internal schematic of the "iPhone 8" surfaced, showing a phone with a more conventional Touch ID location on the bottom front of the device, two batteries, and other other internal realignments needed for a vertical camera module position.

As OnLeaks stated after publishing Wednesday's render, multiple reports have indicated that the company is still testing a variety of external case designs before fabrication begins, ahead of an anticipated September product unveiling.

The "iPhone 8" is predicted to sport an edge-to-edge OLED panel with a 5.1-inch user space -- the rest dedicated to virtual buttons. Slimming or removing the bezels would allow Apple to cram a larger battery into a form factor similar in size to the 4.7-inch iPhone 7. Also expected is a new 3D facial scanner .

With a complete redesign said to be forthcoming in the device implementing a curved glass back with wireless charging, some reports have pegged the starting price of the "iPhone 8" at more than $1,000.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    I hope that back camera won't be protruding at all in the new phone. I would also think that positioning LED in the middle would cause a glare in certain conditions. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 23
    If the camera bump looks like that, I'm out.
    retrogusto
  • Reply 3 of 23
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    bdkennedy said:
    You are? And into what?
    tdknoxStrangeDaysargonautdoozydozenjony0
  • Reply 4 of 23
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    sergioz said:
    I hope that back camera won't be protruding at all in the new phone. I would also think that positioning LED in the middle would cause a glare in certain conditions. 
    So the drawings are fictitious. In iPhone 7 Plus the flash isn't even included in the camera bump. And in the previous article related to Ion-X glass back, the flash is placed sufficiently farther away.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 23
    sergioz said:
    So the drawings are fictitious. In iPhone 7 Plus the flash isn't even included in the camera bump. And in the previous article related to Ion-X glass back, the flash is placed sufficiently farther away.
    The drawings are allegedly based on something real. So far, every questionable leaked schematic has not shown a separate hole for the LED flash. So nobody knows what the actual camera assembly looks like, but it is looking like the flash will be housed in it.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Looks gorgeous to me. So happy Apple's going back to stainless steel, won't dent like aluminum plus every manufacture on earth has switched over to aluminum now. Hope Apple comes out with regular polished stainless like the Apple Watch and Space Black, I hope they give us the choice. The regular polished look really will make it look like the original iPhones older brother especially with a polished Apple logo with the black glass back. If they offer the DLC Space Grey I'd have to get that to match my Watch for sure, plus the DLC Coating on the Space Black really does never scratch compared with the polished look. Space black I bet would only be offered in the highest end capacity just like the Jet Black models on iPhone 7. I really think at this point Touch ID will be in the display, or at least in the Touch Bar area at the bottom, I'm just thinking thats why its going to be delayed so late this year. I still don't think Apple would put it on the back, even though they prototyped it, they prototype everything under the sun. Apple is a company that will wait until they can get it right and done the way they want too. Regarding the camera, I don't mind it at all, maybe this will be the year Apple uses there Patents they had years ago and offer Apple branded Lens attachments, they are basically a Camera Company at this point. The one thing I still can't figure out is if those front sensors and cameras will be under the display or not, maybe?, but there will def still be a slit there for an earpiece through the OLED display for the improved stereo speakers thats a given.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    sergioz said:
    There's a reason you buy a case. It form fits to compensate for the raised camera and adds protection overall.
    edited May 2017 paxman
  • Reply 8 of 23
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    bdkennedy said:
    Sure! The camera bump hasn't bothered one person yet. Most appreciate that Apple is offering high quality cameras with the iPhone and high quality implies physical hight.
    MetriacanthosauruspatchythepiratepaxmanJinTechdoozydozen
  • Reply 9 of 23
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    bdkennedy said:
    We hear this from rumor readers every year. And every year iphone tops websites as the most popular camera on earth. Hmmm... Could it be that the actual quality of the job to be done is more important than negative nancy OCDism? shocking. 
    edited May 2017 Solipatchythepirateargonautdoozydozen
  • Reply 10 of 23
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    bdkennedy said:
    1) What are you using now?

2) What is so bad about the bump that you'd want a lesser camera (and device) over a particular aesthetic.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    bdkennedy said:
    You are? And into what?
    I'll keep my IPhone 7. Plenty fast for me and the screen and camera are just fine.
    retrogustotyler82
  • Reply 12 of 23
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    wizard69 said:
    bdkennedy said:
    Sure! The camera bump hasn't bothered one person yet. Most appreciate that Apple is offering high quality cameras with the iPhone and high quality implies physical hight.
    And, as Mdriftmeyer points out - everybody buys a case. I would love to use a 'naked' iPhone but I never will because a) I can't afford it, and b) an iPhone without a case is very slippery. I didn't use a case on the 3gs because the size and shape was perfect in so many ways, but by the time I gave that phone up it was literally wrecked. 

The rendering looks good imo. I can't be sure but it looks like the edge is slightly less rounded which I welcome if is the case. 
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 13 of 23
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    paxman said:
    wizard69 said:
    bdkennedy said:
    And, as Mdriftmeyer points out - everybody buys a case.
    Not everyone.
    retrogustojagnut
  • Reply 14 of 23
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Soli said:
    paxman said:
    wizard69 said:
    bdkennedy said:
    And, as Mdriftmeyer points out - everybody buys a case.
    Not everyone.
    Oh, OK, then... not EVERYone. But it is very rare to see a name iPhone. 
  • Reply 15 of 23
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    sergioz said:
    The drawings are allegedly based on something real. So far, every questionable leaked schematic has not shown a separate hole for the LED flash. So nobody knows what the actual camera assembly looks like, but it is looking like the flash will be housed in it.
    That microphone hole on the sapphire cover doesn't make sense, either. Why drill sapphire that way? On the glass-back iPhones that mic hole is on the steel frame, near the headphone socket. The frame of the protrusion must be made of some other material than glass, since glass cannot be shaped like that. Such a sharp crystalline design requires a crystalline molecular structure, glass is liquid. If the protrusion is made of metal then its base would take a significant amount of space under the glass. A lot of engineering to just protrude the camera?...
    Soliargonaut
  • Reply 16 of 23
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,109member
    I'm willing to bet the camera bump won't be as ugly as that, although I do think that the bump on the 6 looks much better than the one on the 7. The former looks a lot like a slimmer version of the flash jack on my Leica M4, the latter is more reminiscent of a wart. And I'm with Bdkennedy on this one--that ridiculous thing could be a dealbreaker unless it does something incredibly cool, like a wide range optical zoom. At this point, iPhones are good enough that upgrades for me are more about wanting than needing. I'll get the next model when the improvements are significant enough to more than make up for the drawbacks (e.g. lack of a headphone jack and the fact that it costs a few hundred bucks). Until then, my pristine and caseless iPhone 6 will be perfectly fine. 
  • Reply 17 of 23
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    Good: thicker and (hopefully) bigger battery that will last longer.
    Bad: rounded edges=more slippery, not a good grip without a case.
    Bad: back made of glass, but not recessed=will be first thing to crack when dropped (or the front screen)
    Camera bump: not that bad, now that we've gotten used to bumps. But if it is thicker, why still a camera bump?
  • Reply 18 of 23
    bdkennedy said:
    You are? And into what?
    I'll keep my IPhone 7. Plenty fast for me and the screen and camera are just fine.
    And has a camera bump too, oops. 

Also, it's not really normal/expected for normal consumers to upgrade annually, except for phone nerds like us. I wouldn't expect 7 customers to upgrade to whatever this is called. Tho with the annual phone upgrade program maybe that behavior is changing in normals too...we'll see. 
  • Reply 19 of 23

sergioz said:
    That microphone hole on the sapphire cover doesn't make sense, either. Why drill sapphire that way? On the glass-back iPhones that mic hole is on the steel frame, near the headphone socket. The frame of the protrusion must be made of some other material than glass, since glass cannot be shaped like that. Such a sharp crystalline design requires a crystalline molecular structure, glass is liquid. If the protrusion is made of metal then its base would take a significant amount of space under the glass. A lot of engineering to just protrude the camera?...
    Pretty sure this is just some guy's fantasy render. It's not made of real materials and he didn't think about those things...
  • Reply 20 of 23
    I can't be the only person that hates edge-to-edge no-bezel design? Every time I've held one (I test and refurbish phones for a semi-living -- doesn't pay enough), I just end up setting off things by accident, not being able to scroll right because something else is touching besides my scrolling thumb, and being afraid I'll set it down on an "edge" too hard, case or not, and end up cracking the thing.

No home button, if Apple has perfected reading my fingerprint through the screen, is all fine by me. But no bezel so my square-tipped fingers can't hold it without activating junk? Nope.