Install the AT&T 'Call Protect' app on your iPhone to cut way back on spam calls

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    proto732proto732 Posts: 12member
    From the Consent portion that Ziggie posted it looks like they are making use of the Hiya backend.

I've been using the Hiya app since it came out on iOS and it does work fairly well. 
    pscooter63
  • Reply 22 of 53
    mackymotomackymoto Posts: 34member
    Yeah, not really sure how this is better than the "Block Caller" function that the Apple iOS already has.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    jd_in_sb said:
    I tried using the app and, after submitting my phone number and the PIN that was texted to me, it says my line is ineligible. I own an iPhone 6 Plus, purchased at Apple, and have been an AT&T customer for nearly 10 years. No where does it explain why my iPhone is ineligible and I have followed all the links and searched AT&T's web site. FAIL

Try this free service:

https://www.donotcall.gov/

It it may be U.S. only.

I did this on my old number and stopped receiving spam. That was years ago so I don't know if the robots got smarter since. I'm gonna register my new number now. 

WHAT!!! If you get a caller you want blocked, simply go into "recent" in the phone app, click on the "i" in the circle on the righthand side - that takes you to a page that, at the bottom, gives you the option to Block Caller! The blocked caller's numbers are saved in a database on your phone. But, it's not surprising that there are a plethora of Apps and services that do this in some convoluted way, or actually make you pay for the service. All I can say is WTF!

You don't understand. This is different. It blocks the number before they get a chance to call so you don't spend the rest of your life andwering spam and manually blocking every number.

proto732pscooter63
  • Reply 24 of 53
    maciekskontaktmaciekskontakt Posts: 1,169member
    I am not sure if I want to block for 30 days only. I do not have time for this game. The recent scam is polling for number. You call that number and thi is not in service. I thing it is used then for marketting purposes for callerID identification, but calling it will not give any result. I tried that and reported to FCC. I would rather block all areas and sub-areas by number for long time rather than individual numbers for 30 days. For example I have only one number in California I would accept call from ;) More seriously a lot of scam comes either from far states to our East Coast region (from California) or from nearby counties. Well if you are not not my contact lists you will most likely be rejected or blocked and I am not looking to make friends or business on my mobile phones. I use TrueCaller for identification and reporting, but it does not block unfortunatelly - it just reports scam.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    No thanks. I use Google Voice, which is pretty good about filtering out junk, but when I do occasionally get such a call, it's very simple to permanently block the number using Apple's own built in "Block this Caller" feature (find it under the circle "i" button next to the caller's number, then scroll to the bottom of the screen, below "Add to Existing Contact").
    I used to block calls until they all began coming from different local numbers every other day. It started to take more time to block than to quickly answer and hangup. My calls are all the same. Operator pretends to not hear me due to faulty headset while it cues up conversation and data on my number. They usually offer me a free vacation but I stopped listening to them after the second one. The one second pause at the beginning of every call is a dead giveaway. Otherwise, there is no way for me to tell if it's coming from a legitimate local number or not. I will give this app a try but am not expecting much.
  • Reply 26 of 53
    charles1charles1 Posts: 78member
    I installed Call Protect.app on my iPhone 6s, it works pretty well. I think the privacy disclaimer in the TOS are just to permit the Hiya servers to share information on which numbers to block. They ought to use this data to prosecute robocallers.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    AppleZulu said:
    Seems like a lot of trouble (plus the above-mentioned give-away of your privacy), for pretty limited benefits over just not answering unknown numbers. I suppose if you're getting a slew of bogus calls every day it might be worth it, but for averting a lesser frequency of them, maybe not so much.
    I do. I've registered web domains with my age-old phone number. While it seems to have peaked, I get several a week, usually from local numbers. It's annoying.
  • Reply 28 of 53

What are the odds of false positives with this? I'd like to give it a shot.
    Try it and see seems the most reasonable way to answer that.
  • Reply 29 of 53
    mackymoto said:
    Yeah, not really sure how this is better than the "Block Caller" function that the Apple iOS already has.
    Block Caller requires you to block it after the fact. This utilizes an existing database to prevent the call in the first place.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    ziggie said:
    If you wont believe in crowdsourcing your contacts, then this is not for you as well. 

2.7 CONSENT TO DISCLOSE PERSONAL INFORMATION:

In order to perform the functions of the Service, AT&T may disclose or allow the disclosure to our vendor Hiya of Your personal information, including without limitation mobile number, contacts/address book, and Application usage information, such as which numbers you report and/or manually block within the Application, as factors to determine which callers are suspected fraud and spam.

https://www.att.com/legal/terms.callProtectEULA.html
    Well that just defeats the purpose, doesn't it? Give all my personal information to stop the invasion of my privacy and peace of mind...
  • Reply 31 of 53
    DangDaveDangDave Posts: 98member
    AT@T users can sign up for Call Protect for free from their user account or MyAT&T app. Users need to be using voLTE or Wifi calling.  

You up do not need to use the Call Protect App unless you want to see the fraud calls that are being blocked automatically or if you want to use its 30 day blocking feature.

I have found it helpful as it displays "Telemarketer" when AT&T knows the number belongs to one, and you won't see the "Fraud" calls. 
  • Reply 32 of 53
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Most of the spam calls I receive are from numbers eerily similar to my number—I mean, the first 7 digits are usually identical.  The problem is the last 4 digits are always different.  I probably have over 100 blocked numbers on my phone that are similar to my phone number, and add more every day.  I do not see how this app will stop those calls from coming through.

Now, I instinctively do not answer when I see this number pattern, then block the number afterwards. 
  • Reply 33 of 53
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    thisisasj said:
    jd_in_sb said:
    Hopefully iOS 11 has this functionality built in
    The ability to block unwanted voice calls, FaceTime calls and iMessages is already built into iOS.
    Of course. But that's not what this article is about. It's about filtering out robocalls before they ever reach your phone a single time. That's the functionality I hope is built into iOS 11. With the current iOS you can only block robocallers AFTER they have annoyed you. 
  • Reply 34 of 53
    brertechbrertech Posts: 31member
    There are a couple of caveats -- it won't block "unknown" callers,
    Ok, then.
    Useless.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Then how would I ever learn about important credit card offers?
  • Reply 36 of 53
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    WHAT!!! If you get a caller you want blocked, simply go into "recent" in the phone app, click on the "i" in the circle on the righthand side - that takes you to a page that, at the bottom, gives you the option to Block Caller! The blocked caller's numbers are saved in a database on your phone. 
    The problem is that the incoming numbers are spoofed and change from call to call. I get spam calls from numbers from the exact same area code and exchange as my cell phone.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Oddly enough, one of the few things the US government has been effective at doing (in my experience) is handling the Do Not Call list. Despite being registered on it for years, I receive a few dozen calls a year from spam numbers. But as soon as I report a complaint, they've never called back.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I maintain a $15/mo landline just for that purpose: 
    Whenever I'm asked by any business for a phone number I give them that.
    My cell phone # only goes to friends and critical functions...
    tallest skil
  • Reply 39 of 53
    aenghusaenghus Posts: 14member
    I don't receive spam calls any longer. Only calls from my contacts. Anyone else who really wants to reach me can leave a message. Here's how:

GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 40 of 53
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I maintain a $15/mo landline just for that purpose: 
    Whenever I'm asked by any business for a phone number I give them that.
    My cell phone # only goes to friends and critical functions…
    I used to have a paid Skype-In phone number (I think like $10/year), but then once Google Voice came out with a free option, I switched to it. It's the number I give everyone that isn't family or close friend. All businesses get this number.

The number seamlessly forwards to my iPhone, but I rarely answer it. The transcribed emails can be odd (and funny) to read, but they include a audio link. No one gets my cell phone, expect when I have to call back. I could use the Google Voice app to call out with a small fee, but it's not an issue since you just tell people that the number they have on file is the best one.
    edited May 2017 GeorgeBMac