Snap's fledgling Spectacles sold just over 63,000 units in March quarter

Posted:
in General Discussion
In a sign of how tough the market for Apple's rumored augmented reality glasses could be, Snap is estimated to have sold a little over 63,800 pairs of Spectacles in the March quarter.

While Snap didn't provide exact numbers in its results, it did admit to making just $8.3 million in its "other revenue" category, according to TechCrunch. Dividing by the Spectacles' $130 pricetag gives a figure of 63,846.

About $4.5 million in Spectacles were sold during the December quarter, or roughly 34,615 units.

Until the February launch of online sales, the Spectacles were essentially an experiment for Snap, sold only through hard-to-find vending machines and a special New York City pop-up store. Even these limited sales only began in November.

The Spectacles are designed to shoot 10- to 30-second clips of first-person video, mainly for sharing in Snapchat, though they can be viewed elsewhere. Footage is shot in a unique circular format, and to dispel privacy concerns, lit rings appear whenever the glasses are recording.

Apple is believed to be developing augmented reality glasses that will ship in 2018, if not later. Exact features are unknown, but the company reportedly has "hundreds" of engineers working in the AR field.

Glasses have so far made little headway in the wearables market. Google's Glass never made it past a developer prototype, and Microsoft's HoloLens has yet to spin off into planned third-party accessories.

Instead the wearables market is still dominated by fitness trackers and smartwatches. The Apple Watch in particular has so far proven successful, although sales are still below those of iPhones, iPads, and Macs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    techprod1gytechprod1gy Posts: 838member
    This is just a bad product idea.  I am open to listen to anyone who can provide feedback on why it is a good one???
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 20
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    This is just a bad product idea.  I am open to listen to anyone who can provide feedback on why it is a good one???
    X2...anyone have any idea's on why this is a good idea? I'm surprised these haven't been banned from different places yet. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 20
    flootistflootist Posts: 13member
    It seems pretty simple to me: most people over the age of 20 don't want to strap gear to their bodies in order to accomplish everyday tasks. Google has already made this clear to everyone, I don't understand why any company thinks augmented reality is going to take off in this direction for the majority of the public, it's some backwards logic. A large part of what made the iPhone stellar in the first place was that suddenly so much was available *without* being tethered to or reliant upon anything cumbersome.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Isn't 63,800 "nearly 64,000" not "just over 63,000"?
    StrangeDaysleavingthebiggpscooter63fastasleep
  • Reply 5 of 20
    "In a sign of how tough the market for Apple's rumored augmented reality glasses could be..." Huh? So, a limited use item [Snapping pictures only], that was nary available anywhere [mystery vending machines & a single phantom store in NYC], sold tens of thousands of units. Yeah, this really bodes ill for whatever Apple is looking to deliver.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 6 of 20
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    If people are not aware, SNAP stock plummeted based on their massive quarterly losses and failure to grow users. It dropped something like 25%. Bad on all counts.
    edited May 2017 pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 20
    "In a sign of how tough the market for Apple's rumored augmented reality glasses could be..."

Snap's Spectacles don't implement augmented reality and they're only available in the US.

And I assume that Apple's implementation would be based on the Mac, rather than the iPhone. I assume it would mainly be used at home or in the office, as I'd like to think Apple realise that people will look stupid in public wearing them and make a lot of people feel uncomfortable if they have cameras on them. And if it needs anywhere near as much power as VR, like Oculus, it will be tethered to the Mac.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    No surprise here. Just an idiotic product idea from an idiotic company that the tech world was hyperventilating over.... Google Glass redux.

Sad.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 20
    rotateleftbyterotateleftbyte Posts: 1,630member
    Didn't we see Google downplaying Occulus last week? Then there was Google Glass... Now this?
    It won't be the last failure in this area.
    It will take someone thinking outside the box to come up with a solution that will really work for the long term and for a wider audience.
    I think a lot of people are betting on Apple here.
    It remains to be seen if they can come up with something great.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 20
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    "In a sign of how tough the market for Apple's rumored augmented reality glasses could be..."

Snap's Spectacles don't implement augmented reality and they're only available in the US.

And I assume that Apple's implementation would be based on the Mac, rather than the iPhone. I assume it would mainly be used at home or in the office, as I'd like to think Apple realise that people will look stupid in public wearing them and make a lot of people feel uncomfortable if they have cameras on them. And if it needs anywhere near as much power as VR, like Oculus, it will be tethered to the Mac.
    Mac? The point of AR is hands free mobility via iPhone. What is there to do at home or office that requires AR? Isn't that what a monitor is for? Sounds like you're confusing AR with VR.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 11 of 20
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    While Snap didn't provide exact numbers in its results, it did admit to making just $8.3 million in its "other revenue" category, according to TechCrunch. Dividing by the Spectacles' $130 pricetag gives a figure of 63,846.
    And, by the way, Snap lost $2.2 billion last quarter.  Yes.  Billions.
    The stock dropped 25% yesterday on the quarterly report, as you'd guess.

Source: http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/10/technology/snapchat-earnings/index.html
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 20
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Never count out Apple. However I do not see a market for these silly devices. 

Perhaps Apple has the silver bullet. Who knows. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 20
    arlomediaarlomedia Posts: 271member
    Sales were also relatively low for wi-fi laptops, MP3 players, tablets and smart watches before Apple redefined those markets.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
     werent they originally only selling them from vending machines or something ridiculous like that? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 20
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
     werent they originally only selling them from vending machines or something ridiculous like that? 
    Yes, but have been available online for 1 or 2 months in that reported quarter.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member

jungmark said:
    Never count out Apple. However I do not see a market for these silly devices. 
    Perhaps Apple has the silver bullet. Who knows. 
    And hence why Apple doesn't release something until it is "ready" - which means solving many problems beyond just "does the product work".  This may mean some products take years longer to come to market than one might think.

Consider Apple Watch.  Apple rightly concluded that in order to make a "wearable on the wrist" usable, a good portion of population has to "want to wear it".  It can't be a fad that is worn a bit, but isn't "fashionable" enough to be worn long term.  Lots of tech media like to pour scorn over Apple and their focus on watch bands, not realizing this is one of the keys to the success of the product (and perhaps why other products which do similar functions have never taken off in the same way).  Easily interchangeable watch bands were one of the items to "get right" to make the product viable.

IMO it will be a few years before Apple brings any "smart glasses" to market.  They will have AR features on the iPhone first, and perhaps years, before said glasses.  I do think glasses will come eventually.  Who knows, maybe Apple will approach it as "how can we make glasses better" in their own right, while also layering intelligence/AR on top.  Expect Apple to focus as much on "frames and style" as they do on the technology.
    Rayz2016pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 20
    To be fair, for such a limited use-case and only in select markets with hand-picked availability, they sold OK. Obviously not breakthrough sales numbers, but it is a start. I know a few people that own them and they are trendy, wealthy 20-somethings. It isnt for everyone.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member

watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 19 of 20
    My Bluetooth scanner app Blue Hound spotted a pair of Snapchat Specs 2 glasses at the NAB show in Las Vegas two weeks ago. I suspect that they will be the mass produced versions of the current Snap spectacles. Note the cool UTF8 emoticon in the name.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 20 of 20
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    WTF? Spectacles have absolutely nothing to do with AR.