Fall update will bring Continuity- & Universal Clipboard-like features to Microsoft's Wind...

Posted:
in General Discussion
At its ongoing Build conference on Thursday, Microsoft revealed early details of the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, which will notably incorporate new features linking up with Apple's iPhones and iPads.

Pick Up Where You Left Off -- connected to Cortana and the update's Timeline feature -- will let users resume app sessions across multiple devices, including not just Windows hardware but iOS and Android, Microsoft said. The technology is similar to Continuity/Handoff for macOS and iOS, which for instance lets someone writing with Pages on a Mac keep going on an iPad.

The upcoming Windows 10 Timeline.
The upcoming Windows 10 Timeline.

Microsoft is also working on a cloud-based clipboard that will let people quickly copy and paste between Windows, iOS, and Android apps. The idea appears identical to Apple's Universal Clipboard, though that option is limited to Apple devices, whereas Microsoft's SwiftKey keyboard will enable pasting in virtually any mobile app if it's enabled.

Some other features of the update will include OneDrive Files On-Demand -- letting people grab individual files without syncing or downloading whole folders -- and Fluent Design, an aesthetic coming to all Microsoft software.

The Fall Creators Update will likely go live in September.

Today Microsoft also revealed that by the end of the year, iTunes will be available on the Windows Store. iTunes has been on Windows for well over a decade, but has been absent from the Windows Store since the latter debuted with Windows 8 in 2012.

Showing up in Microsoft's store should not only increase Apple's exposure but ensure the relevance of iTunes to users of Windows 10 S, a stripped-down OS limited to Windows Store titles.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    It would be nice if iCloud for Windows allowed universal copy&paste to extend to your Windows computers.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    pepe779pepe779 Posts: 84member
    This is the company that dominated the industry for decades. Now they even proudly say they have 500 million Windows 10 users (a huge chunk of it being kiosks, corporate users and forced upgrades or PC bundles in my opinion), which is not even half of iOS users in comparison, so that's where MS ended up in 2017. I also think Satya Nadella has done more damage to the company in 3 years than Steve Ballmer did in all of his 14 years. Many people believed in some of his visions when he took over in 2014 but with every passing year it is clearer that he's not the visionary they were hoping for and instead the company is simply becoming more and more irrelevant.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    mcbanjomcbanjo Posts: 11member
    It would be nice if iCloud for Windows allowed universal copy&paste to extend to your Windows computers.
    Totally agree. Apple should be showing up Microsoft by building a seamless end-to-end iOS experience.

Locking users into an ecosystem is a cheap tactic. Attracting users to an ecosystem because it's better is setting a better example.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,400member
    pepe779 said:
    This is the company that dominated the industry for decades. Now they even proudly say they have 500 million Windows 10 users (a huge chunk of it being kiosks, corporate users and forced upgrades or PC bundles in my opinion), which is not even half of iOS users in comparison, so that's where MS ended up in 2017. 
    500M users is not that bad at all.  It even surpassed all versions of OS X / macOS combined.  Plus MS still a dominant players in many industries, like the enterprise, cloud, gaming and is the largest software developer of the world.  

pepe779 said:
    I also think Satya Nadella has done more damage to the company in 3 years than Steve Ballmer did in all of his 14 years. Many people believed in some of his visions when he took over in 2014 but with every passing year it is clearer that he's not the visionary they were hoping for and instead the company is simply becoming more and more irrelevant.
    With Ballmer as a CEO, MS stock went down 40% (http://www.businessinsider.com/ballmer-era-stock-price-2013-8) and miss the mobile wave.  On the positive side, he did very good with the enterprise.  But still the company went so slow in innovation, was depended too much of Windows / Office. Plus looks like he was a person hard to do business with, and didn't adapt to new technologies, specially open source and Linux.  

Nadella turn around the company in a way few people think it was possible.  Azure, Office 365 and cloud business is growing quickly.  Xbox One sales are ahead from Xbox 360 (even though PS4 is far ahead), and the Surface line is doing a great job with innovation.  Plus MS stock is doing very good too.  I don't see how Nadella is doing more damage than Ballmer.

coolfactorstantheman
  • Reply 5 of 13
    pepe779pepe779 Posts: 84member
    danvm said:
    pepe779 said:
    This is the company that dominated the industry for decades. Now they even proudly say they have 500 million Windows 10 users (a huge chunk of it being kiosks, corporate users and forced upgrades or PC bundles in my opinion), which is not even half of iOS users in comparison, so that's where MS ended up in 2017. 
    500M users is not that bad at all.  It even surpassed all versions of OS X / macOS combined.  Plus MS still a dominant players in many industries, like the enterprise, cloud, gaming and is the largest software developer of the world.  

pepe779 said:
    I also think Satya Nadella has done more damage to the company in 3 years than Steve Ballmer did in all of his 14 years. Many people believed in some of his visions when he took over in 2014 but with every passing year it is clearer that he's not the visionary they were hoping for and instead the company is simply becoming more and more irrelevant.
    With Ballmer as a CEO, MS stock went down 40% (http://www.businessinsider.com/ballmer-era-stock-price-2013-8) and miss the mobile wave.  On the positive side, he did very good with the enterprise.  But still the company went so slow in innovation, was depended too much of Windows / Office. Plus looks like he was a person hard to do business with, and didn't adapt to new technologies, specially open source and Linux.  

Nadella turn around the company in a way few people think it was possible.  Azure, Office 365 and cloud business is growing quickly.  Xbox One sales are ahead from Xbox 360 (even though PS4 is far ahead), and the Surface line is doing a great job with innovation.  Plus MS stock is doing very good too.  I don't see how Nadella is doing more damage than Ballmer.

Sure, 500 million is not bad but certainly also not where MS was hoping to be now imho. I know I'm comparing desktop products with mobile now, but even Nadella himself said he wants to be mobile first and I just don't see it happening. Most (if not all) of the products you listed already started under Ballmer, I don't quite see any truly innovative or game changing ideas from Nadella. 
  • Reply 6 of 13
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    The first time that I was impressed by Microsoft was when Internet Explorer became more attractive than Netscape Navigator.

The last time that I was impressed by Microsoft was when Internet Explorer became more attractive than Netscape Navigator.

No, on a serious note... I am impressed by their new blood the past couple of years. I've experienced several "oh, wow!" moments from them lately, to the point of really showing how dog-slow Apple is being lately.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,400member
    pepe779 said:
    danvm said:
    pepe779 said:

pepe779 said:

Sure, 500 million is not bad but certainly also not where MS was hoping to be now imho. I know I'm comparing desktop products with mobile now, but even Nadella himself said he wants to be mobile first and I just don't see it happening. 
    They were going for 1 billion devices in 3 years, so it's clear they won't make it.  But 500 million in two years still a huge number, and we'll see the numbers a year from now.  And Nadella strategy of "mobile first, cloud first" not necessarily is related directly to MS mobile devices.  

http://windowsitpro.com/mobile/satya-nadella-explains-mobile-mobile-first-cloud-first
    Most (if not all) of the products you listed already started under Ballmer, I don't quite see any truly innovative or game changing ideas from Nadella. 
    Yes, all those things were under Ballmer as CEO, but the guy behind the cloud and enterprise was Nadella.  He was President / Vice President of Online Services and Server & Tools Division from 2007-2014. Azure and MS enterprise stack is very impressive.  Plus look what they are doing with Windows 10, Surface Studio /w Dial, Cortana and VR/AR.  IMO, that's very innovative and game changing, even ahead of Apple recent innovations.  

• Reply 8 of 13
    JonmatJonmat Posts: 24member
    mcbanjo said:
    Totally agree. Apple should be showing up Microsoft by building a seamless end-to-end iOS experience.

Locking users into an ecosystem is a cheap tactic. Attracting users to an ecosystem because it's better is setting a better example.
    So that's what's stopping people from trading windows for the mac. The iCloud copy & paste . Yeah. 

Did you think it through? I mean, not to come harsh but can you see why even taking on that task wouldn't be a good business decision? 

They are not locking you, for the most part. They are the ones taking matters in their hand and building such machines that enable you those features. You got it backwards.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 9 of 13
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member

Are they seriously calling this "Pick Up Where You Left Off"?

That's like calling the windows button "Click For Your Options Here".

What, they didn't get any better ideas from Halo?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member

Are they seriously calling this "Pick Up Where You Left Off"?

That's like calling the windows button "Click For Your Options Here".

What, they didn't get any better ideas from Halo?

They named their Siri clone "Cortana" and used the same voice actor.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    These features all require me putting my personal information on a Microsoft server.   While I trust Microsoft more than I trust Google, that still ain't sayin' much...
    It's one of, if not the main, reason I use Apple products. 

mike54
  • Reply 12 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Damn.  My home made external bootable Windows SSDs on USB3 for my Mac pro for playing GTAV etc. work fine and update until a major update comes along such as Anniversary and probably this one.  I have a legitimate license but it balks at running a major update over USB3 so I have to start over again from scratch.  Oh well ...  at least I can copy the Steam folder over to a new Windows installation using the Mac's Finder.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    These features all require me putting my personal information on a Microsoft server.   While I trust Microsoft more than I trust Google, that still ain't sayin' much...
    It's one of, if not the main, reason I use Apple products. 

Just select the personalization / advanced option during install and keep unchecking every pre-checked box there is, that's what I always do, everything works fine just no Cortana or snooping from MS.
    GeorgeBMac