'iPhone 8' may pair FaceTime camera with 24mm or 28mm adjunct lens for facial ID

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited May 2017
With LG Innotek's new Apple-specific facility pegged as the supplier for the front-facing cameras on the "iPhone 8," speculation has turned to what exactly is mounted to facilitate the rumored facial recognition feature said to be in the device.

According to a report by Mac Otakara, in addition to the current 32mm-equivalent camera, that there is a "possibility" that a wide-angle lens of 24mm will be installed either paired with the existing 32mm technology or coupled with a slightly smaller 28mm camera.

A single camera for facial recognition amplifies issues with the technology, such as using a picture to fool authentication routines. A pair of cameras allows for better rangefinding, and a better mathematical model of a face, similar to how a human's depth perception is better when using two eyes versus when one is covered.

If the report is accurate, the front-facing setup would be similar to that in the Oppo F3 Plus, LG V20 Pro, or Alcatel Flash. It is not clear where or how Mac Otakara has sourced its information.

Mac Otakara has at least occasionally proven accurate, having successfully predicted some iPhone 7 features like the removal of the headphone jack. The site has not disclosed if Thursday's report is gleaned from the same source as the accurate iPhone 7 data.

LG Innotek is supplying facial recognition camera modules for Apple's "iPhone 8," with an initial order said to be worth about $238.5 million. LG Innotek already supplies rear-facing, dual-lens camera modules for the iPhone 7 Plus.

The "iPhone 8" is predicted to sport an edge-to-edge OLED panel with a 5.1-inch user space -- the rest dedicated to virtual buttons. Slimming or removing the bezels would allow Apple to cram a larger battery into a form factor similar in size to the 4.7-inch iPhone 7. Also expected is a new 3D facial scanner .

Some reports have suggested that the starting price of the "iPhone 8" will exceed $1,000.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Makes sense now why the rear facing lenses are repositioned vertically so the depth of the front and rear cameras are not in conflict.
    irelanddoozydozenwatto_cobra[Deleted User]
  • Reply 2 of 14
    A 5.1" usable area would be disappointing. I can't imagine wanting to go smaller than the Plus size after 3 years.
    napoleon_phoneapart
  • Reply 3 of 14
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    A 5.1" usable area would be disappointing. I can't imagine wanting to go smaller than the Plus size after 3 years.
    Not to me. The footprint of the 7 is perfect for me. To each, his own.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 14
    I've used the plus as well and don't mind sacrificing 0.4" of screen to have nearly the iPhone 7's physical size.

Compared to an actual 7, which would be twice the amount space given up, 0.8".
    jkichlinedoozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 14
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    I had the iPhone 6 Plus and now the iPhone 7 Plus.  I got it for the camera which is amazing, but the screen is too big for my hands.  I pine for the days of my iPhone 4s and being able to use my phone with one hand.  I think the iPhone 8 would be about perfect if they can put a nearly as large screen as the iPhone Plus, but with the form factor of the standard iPhone with the advanced cameras.
    irelandwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Face ID
    doozydozen
  • Reply 7 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    jkichline said:
    I had the iPhone 6 Plus and now the iPhone 7 Plus.  I got it for the camera which is amazing, but the screen is too big for my hands.  I pine for the days of my iPhone 4s and being able to use my phone with one hand.  I think the iPhone 8 would be about perfect if they can put a nearly as large screen as the iPhone Plus, but with the form factor of the standard iPhone with the advanced cameras.
    I switched from a 6 to an SE as I wanted a smaller phone that got out of the way more, so I could live me life more how I liked.
    doozydozen[Deleted User]
  • Reply 8 of 14
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    ireland said:
    jkichline said:
    I switched from a 6 to an SE as I wanted a smaller phone that got out of the way more, so I could live me life more how I liked.
    Yes, if they are doing 3 models it would be good if at least one of them was a smaller more phones sized device.  You look at quarterly reports and it seems clear the slowing sales for a large part must be people holding on to 5series phones.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member

The only reason I've bought the Plus variant the last 3 years was because of the added tech in it. If Apple manages to get everything into a smaller phone, I'll buy that and save 120 bucks.

• Reply 10 of 14
    6S owner here but if Apple introduces an updated 4"er then I'm all over it. My wife went back to a 5S temporarily and I forgot how perfect it was size wise imho. 
  • Reply 11 of 14
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    May cost 1k... well then, why not  make it out of the ceramic-gold-pixie-dust unobtanium... and charge 10K... lol
  • Reply 12 of 14
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Apple patents for embedded TouchID and a bezel-less display were revealed today, playing into the upcoming iPhone * rumors. 
    http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2017/05/apple-granted-56-patents-today-covering-an-edge-to-edge-iphone-display-touch-id-under-the-display-3d-scanner.html
  • Reply 13 of 14
    imax1imax1 Posts: 17member
    haar said:
    May cost 1k... well then, why not  make it out of the ceramic-gold-pixie-dust unobtanium... and charge 10K... lol
    Diamond dust for 100K and sapphire dust for 25K
  • Reply 14 of 14
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    haar said:
    Don't believe every rumor here.