Apple adds a Mother's Day Challenge for HealthKit Activity, Apple Watch

Posted:
in Apple Watch
In recognition of Mother's Day on May 14, Apple is creating a special "Mother's Day Challenge" to reward a walk, run or wheelchair workout "of a mile or more" with a special achievement badge in the Activity app, as well as stickers for use within iMessage.

To earn the achievement, users can "do a run, walk or wheelchair workout" of a mile or more on Mother's Day in the Workout app using Apple Watch or any third-party app that writes workout data to Health Kit.

Apple has previously created special achievement challenges, including last year's U.S. Thanksgiving holiday, a "Ring in the New Year Challenge" during the month of January and an Earth Day Challenge last month.

In addition to feeling good about achievements earned in the Activity app, users also gain access to digital stickers that can be shared in iOS 10 iMessages.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Looks like whoever is designing these achievements at Apple is really enjoying their work—you can tell.
    wlym
  • Reply 2 of 8
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    I don't understand why this is being done for Mother's Day.  Seems to imply either "drag mom along for a 1-mile excursion while you obtain this badge/achievement", or "spend your time on a 1-mile excursion so you obtain this badge/achievement, rather than spending that time with your mom or on the phone with her".  Not the best day to have an "all about me, not about mom" achievement goal.  :/
    edited May 2017 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 3 of 8
    lito_lupenalito_lupena Posts: 116member
    event only happening in the us i think. no sign of the badge here in south east asia.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    damonf said:
    I don't understand why this is being done for Mother's Day.  Seems to imply either "drag mom along for a 1-mile excursion while you obtain this badge/achievement", or "spend your time on a 1-mile excursion so you obtain this badge/achievement, rather than spending that time with your mom or on the phone with her".  Not the best day to have an "all about me, not about mom" achievement goal.  :/
    Wow. Just wow.  All that because Apple is trying to incentivize getting out and bonding with Mom yet not one syllable about this faux holiday in general?

Who says it's 'all about me' and why do you chose to think it's not about Mom? And don't you think more than a Mom or two owns an iPhone and Watch and will be partaking of their own volition? Oh I guess that makes it all about them. How selfish.

"Not the best day..." What a load of crap. Seems more about what you infer and not what Apple 'implies'.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member

event only happening in the us i think. no sign of the badge here in south east asia.
    Correct, US only. There are a few other countries that have a Mother's Day type celebration. How about where you are?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    dgblickdgblick Posts: 2member
    So, do I have to have an Apple Watch to do this, or can it be with an app like Runkeeper that is connected to Apple Health? I've done that latter, but don't understand where I receive the badge.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    wlymwlym Posts: 102member
    Canadians get the day off I guess.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    rrhigh3rrhigh3 Posts: 1member
    So where is the Father's Day Challenge! Dad's always get the shaft.