netmage
  • Reply 22 of 49
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    So does this device support 3D Touch?
    I hope so. 
  • Reply 23 of 49
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    1983 said:
    I'm waiting for an upgrade to the 12.9" version.
    2018: A11x, 13.7" OLED (not hardly), thin bezel, in-display Touch ID and home button.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 24 of 49
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    Apple is crazy for dragging their feet on what can be done with the Apple TV. The rout is in progress from greedy cable/satellite providers. Alternatives are announced every week and they all capture subscribers even though most suck. I admit I hadn't researched the market until the monthly tab from DirecTV became too much for this retiree.

We tried several freebies over a month and now spend about a third of our previous bill.  Playstation VUE was the easy winner.  Their GUI ain't 100% to my taste; but, it was an easy change.  They're still learning about TV switchers instead of gamers...but, that's a market with 100 times more potential.  I'd compare their approach to Apple when it comes to solutions, function and use.  How they introduced a "jog" being a good example.

And Apple could run right past them if they tried.  Just lose the oversimple remote.  Trying to satisfy TV geeks without a mute button or easy access to a 30-second skip is archaic. I thought Apple learned years ago to leave decisions like that to designers instead of engineers.

Spend some time time reading through TV geek users forums in recent years. DirecTV was smart enough to follow - and introduce solutions suggested by thoughtful users.  Of course, AT&T will put an end to that.  No one plays the Cloud DVR like Sony - and AT&T intriduced DirecTV NOW with none. Pitiful.

OK.  Longish rant - but, WWDC would be a good time to intro the Amazon Prime app and tell us when we can get the Gen 5 AppleTV.  Just priming the pump.
    cornchip
  • Reply 25 of 49
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    eideard said:
    Apple is crazy for dragging their feet on what can be done with the Apple TV. The rout is in progress from greedy cable/satellite providers. Alternatives are announced every week and they all capture subscribers even though most suck. I admit I hadn't researched the market until the monthly tab from DirecTV became too much for this retiree.

We tried several freebies over a month and now spend about a third of our previous bill.  Playstation VUE was the easy winner.  Their GUI ain't 100% to my taste; but, it was an easy change.  They're still learning about TV switchers instead of gamers...but, that's a market with 100 times more potential.  I'd compare their approach to Apple when it comes to solutions, function and use.  How they introduced a "jog" being a good example.

And Apple could run right past them if they tried.  Just lose the oversimple remote.  Trying to satisfy TV geeks without a mute button or easy access to a 30-second skip is archaic. I thought Apple learned years ago to leave decisions like that to designers instead of engineers.

Spend some time time reading through TV geek users forums in recent years. DirecTV was smart enough to follow - and introduce solutions suggested by thoughtful users.  Of course, AT&T will put an end to that.  No one plays the Cloud DVR like Sony - and AT&T intriduced DirecTV NOW with none. Pitiful.

OK.  Longish rant - but, WWDC would be a good time to intro the Amazon Prime app and tell us when we can get the Gen 5 AppleTV.  Just priming the pump.
    If Apple could ink deals with networks the same way the others have, then sure, I'm on board with your "Apple could run right past them" assessment, but we know that Apple has had an issue with networks ever since before the Apple TV ever launched. They're afraid of Apple getting too much control. A real or imagined threat, Apple's success is negatively affecting them in negotiations.
    cornchip
  • Reply 26 of 49
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    What i want is that the 12.9 ipad pro gets the dci-p3 color space that the ipad pro 9.7 has...
    edited May 2017 cornchip
  • Reply 27 of 49
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    eideard said:

Why do you need a dedicated mute button on a streaming device that can pause any content? 

Why do you need a dedicated 30-second skip button when you can already right-side-click 10 seconds, or swipe-scrub anywhere almost instantly?

No, those things aren't needed on the ATV remote. A grippier design, sure, but it doesn't need a bunch of buttons.
    netmagecornchip
  • Reply 28 of 49
    tenchi211tenchi211 Posts: 96member
    tenchi211 said:
    Just received my 9.7 inch iPad Pro from FedEx Yesterday. I have not opened it yet and I'm considering returning it and waiting out the new iPad. Decisions, decisions...
    I didn't realize FedEx made iPad Pros. Interesting. 
    No, what's interesting is how you signed up to post THAT as your first comment...
    cornchip
  • Reply 29 of 49
    Hoping this means Apple is releasing a version of XCode that runs natively on the iPad Pro.
  • Reply 30 of 49
    eideard said:

Why do you need a dedicated mute button on a streaming device that can pause any content? 

Why do you need a dedicated 30-second skip button when you can already right-side-click 10 seconds, or swipe-scrub anywhere almost instantly?

No, those things aren't needed on the ATV remote. A grippier design, sure, but it doesn't need a bunch of buttons.
    I understand both issues here, some things in terms of navigation could use some tweaking. SLO motion and a pause screen that doesn't dim would be  nice. The "scrub feature" could use some "granularity" right now it's kind of spastic, but those are software tweaks and I do like the simplicity of the remote despite the fact that its still way too easy to trigger it.  ehile I would normally to just use pause as well, I do find it odd that Siri tell you "you can adjust the volume using the remote" when you give her command "mute". 
  • Reply 31 of 49
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Soli said:
    Knock yourself out. http://www.modbook.com/modbookpro
    Holy cow, these guys not only survived the switch to unibody MacBooks but also to the most recent designs, too? Their market is large enough to justify it? Wow,
    cornchip
  • Reply 32 of 49
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    I've come to prefer reading on my iPad mini to using a Kindle.
    The one thing I dislike is that it's very difficult to hold it
    without frequent inadvertent page turns and similar miscues,
    so, for my usage at least, "narrower bezels" isn't really a plus.
    GeorgeBMacRayz2016
  • Reply 33 of 49
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    Soli said:  If Apple could ink deals with networks the same way the others have, then sure, I'm on board with your "Apple could run right past them" assessment, but we know that Apple has had an issue with networks ever since before the Apple TV ever launched. They're afraid of Apple getting too much control. A real or imagined threat, Apple's success is negatively affecting them in negotiations.
    Which is why I emailed the powers that be [frequently] to spend a few bucks and buy DirecTV.  For years before AT&T did it.

Lots easier to amend existing contracts than write new ones.
  • Reply 34 of 49
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 809member
    Still waiting for a new iPad Mini!
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 35 of 49
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    How Apple handles the next IPad & (low level) Mac upgrades will be interesting because, right now they are half-pregnant:
    -- Their tablet can almost achieve laptop functionality
    -- Their laptop can almost achieve tablet functionality

Currently, if you need a touch screen you have to use a tablet.   If you need a cursor or a file system, you have to use a laptop.

At one point, not long ago, the separation was necessary due to power limitations.  Today that limitation is rapidly fading into history and the separation between the two form factors is a matter of convention rather than logic.   It is no longer sustainable.

A good analogy is the IPhone:  when it was created it was primarily a phone and a small device that fit easily into the hand made sense.   Then, as its power increased it became more of a game device and web browser and a larger screen began to make sense.   It took a while for Apple to break with its self defined convention, but eventually they had no choice if they wanted to stay competitive.   The "tablet is only a tablet" and "laptop is only a laptop" convention will die the same death.  It's not IF, its WHEN.
  • Reply 36 of 49
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    tenchi211 said:
    tenchi211 said:
    Just received my 9.7 inch iPad Pro from FedEx Yesterday. I have not opened it yet and I'm considering returning it and waiting out the new iPad. Decisions, decisions...
    I didn't realize FedEx made iPad Pros. Interesting. 
    No, what's interesting is how you signed up to post THAT as your first comment...
    I was thinking the exact same thing. 
  • Reply 37 of 49
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

eideard said:
    Soli said:  If Apple could ink deals with networks the same way the others have, then sure, I'm on board with your "Apple could run right past them" assessment, but we know that Apple has had an issue with networks ever since before the Apple TV ever launched. They're afraid of Apple getting too much control. A real or imagined threat, Apple's success is negatively affecting them in negotiations.
    Which is why I emailed the powers that be [frequently] to spend a few bucks and buy DirecTV.  For years before AT&T did it.

Lots easier to amend existing contracts than write new ones.
    It's extremely common for media deals to expire if the company licensing them is bought out or files for bankruptcy. 
  • Reply 38 of 49
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    How Apple handles the next IPad & (low level) Mac upgrades will be interesting because, right now they are half-pregnant:
    -- Their tablet can almost achieve laptop functionality
    -- Their laptop can almost achieve tablet functionality

Currently, if you need a touch screen you have to use a tablet.   If you need a cursor or a file system, you have to use a laptop.

At one point, not long ago, the separation was necessary due to power limitations. 
    That was absolutely not, in any way, shape, or form the reason.
    In fact, the digitizer and display needed for Apple's interface required WAY more power than conventional cursor-and-pen-based cellphones (of which there were plenty, running Windows CE). 

The reason was that it was a hand-held device. That reason has in no way "faded".

What has happened is that yes, their tablet can almost achieve laptop functionality, but crucially, it is not a laptop. 
    And vice versa. 

Tablets are hand-held devices, and retain direct-manipulation hand-held interfaces. Traditional desktop computers retain the abstraction of a remote-controlled cursor.

This is fundamental to Apple's interface strategy. 
    edited May 2017 brucemc
  • Reply 39 of 49
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    tenchi211 said:
    I hear you. I'd return it. :)

I've been using my iPad Mini 2 as my main computer for about 2 months now w/ a Logitech KB. A bit too small, but I've enjoyed it. I haven't used my MacBook Pro (2009) at all, (maybe twice). I'm really enjoying iOS.

So much, in fact, I'm considering upgrading to the new iPad Pro w/ an Apple KB instead of a new MacBook.

best
  • Reply 40 of 49
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Okay, but why. What does this do that the 9.7” and 12.9” don’t?
    Maybe Dan Provost's projections will bear out and we'll get 326 ppi, 2732 x 2048, matching the resolution of the 12.9".

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/01/12/10-5-inch-ipad-pro-mathematical-argument/