Tough talks may keep Apple Pay out of Germany until 'fall or winter'

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple Pay may finally arrive in Germany sometime this fall or winter, but is still facing resistance from the country's banks, according to a new report.

Negotiations are in a tough state, iPhone-ticker.de said on Friday, citing word out of "corporate circles." As with Apple Pay talks in some other countries, the main issue is thought to be the fees Apple claims from each transaction, which dip into bank profits.

Germany has been a conspicuous gap for Apple, even though the country is still often cash-driven at retail.

Apple Pay is currently available in 15 markets, the latest addition being Taiwan, which joined in March. While the service has expanded rapidly, the process has been smoother in some countries than others -- in Australia, for example, some banks are fighting for access to Apple's NFC technology in the hopes of using it for their own payment systems.

Some deals with banks and card issuers are already up for renewal. Apple may have to tread carefully to avoid losing partners -- at the same time, Apple Pay is one of the most popular mobile payment methods, and removing access could anger card customers.

Italy has been rumored has one of the company's next expansion targets. Indeed going to an Asia-Pacific support page displays a thumbnail with Italy as a supported region -- the country is otherwise unlisted.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Jaja, the worst bureaucrats in the world move slowly like a sloth. I like that though and I hope Apple Pay arrives soon because I FINALLY want to use it! One more thing my iPhone would make redundant..

• Reply 2 of 8
    zimmermannzimmermann Posts: 326member
    Still not in the Netherlands. Obviously because we already have a very good payment system in, where most transactions are digitally done with bank cards that everybody has and uses. Not much to gain for Apple here, unfortunately, because I would love to use my phone and get rid of one of the many cards that cluster my wallet. 
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Still not in the Netherlands. Obviously because we already have a very good payment system in, where most transactions are digitally done with bank cards that everybody has and uses. 
    That isn't peculiar to the Netherlands. or is it? Are your bank cards biometric?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Still not in the Netherlands. Obviously because we already have a very good payment system in, where most transactions are digitally done with bank cards that everybody has and uses. Not much to gain for Apple here, unfortunately, because I would love to use my phone and get rid of one of the many cards that cluster my wallet. 
    That is the exact point about Apple pay no reason to carry cards with you. I still carry a card with me since some stories do not accept Apple pay as well as gas stations, for the most part I hardly pull out a card to pay I use my watch most times.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,563member
    I'm pleased to hear that this is actually likely to happen. Can't wait.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I hate the $100 limit at most stores in Canada 🇨🇦. Unfortunately I beleive it's a merchant and bank issue though. Plus I wish MBNA and Rogers Bank would get on board with Pay in Canada🇨🇦. 
    jony0
  • Reply 7 of 8
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    Your logic that it's not in Netherlands because you already have a very good payment system is faulty.
    Apple needs a country to have a good payment system to success with Apple Pay.
    So the reason why Apple Pay is not in Netherlands is different than what you state.

Germany wasn't a priority for Apple to integrate the Apple Pay because Germany has a low percentage of people who use credit cards.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Most stores and restaurants in Germany up until a few years, if not even months ago, would not accept credit cards, and sometimes not even debit cards (at a restaurant I have been told in a typical customer friendly way "there is a bank with an ATM across the road").
    Not until the EU forced the transaction fees to be less than 1%, the stores didn't even have a reader, and if, and old one without contactless option "which never works".
    So, although Germany is the number one economy in EU and the richest, most of its transaction are still cash based, or debit card based. 
    The word "convenience" is not in the vocabulary. And because: rules.
    Ikea, just up until a few months ago, did not accept credit cards in the region of Munich. They activated the service with a caveat - not a single sticker showing you could pay with a CC. I just discovered you could, because an american friend paid with it as he had nothing else on him.
    So, Apple Pay would be nice, but I would be already happy if I could pay ubiquitously with a CC contactless (which requires no PIN or signature for payments less than 25€).
    BTW: in the USA it doesn't seem to work anywhere really...