Rumors point to Nintendo shipping iOS 'The Legend of Zelda' title later this year

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2017
Nintendo is reportedly planning to expand its mobile gaming efforts following the success of 'Super Mario Run' and 'Fire Emblem: Heroes' on iOS, with the Kyoto firm said to be bringing 'The Legend of Zelda' to the platform in the future, along with rumors of another 'Pokemon' title for smartphones also apparently on the way.

People familiar with the project told the Wall Street Journal about "The Legend of Zelda" smartphone game, but declined to offer much in the way of detail about it. The report sources claim it will arrive some time after the release of the delayed "Animal Crossing" app, which is expected to be released in the second half of this year, but advised release timings and the order of releases could change.

So far, Nintendo has released just three games on mobile devices, with the initial "Miitomo" considered more a "social experience" than a game, to try and spark conversations between users via Mii-style avatars. "Super Mario Run" was a major success for Nintendo, with players required to pay a $10 unlocking fee to play the game beyond the platform game's initial levels. Lastly, "Fire Emblem: Heroes" is a free-to-play turn-based strategy game that offered microtransactions to speed up progress, a more typical style of mobile game monetization.

It is unknown which monetization route Nintendo will take for the "Zelda" game, but it seems either method will be a success for the company. Within weeks of its release, Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima advised in an interview in February "Fire Emblem: Heroes " had generated over $5 million in revenue, while "Super Mario Run" had earned more than $53 million since its debut.

Nintendo also intends the mobile games to be an advertisement for its other games and hardware, to try and convert casual gamers over to the firm's consoles, such as the recently-launched Switch. The latest game in the "Zelda" franchise is extremely popular in the United States for the Switch, reportedly selling more copies than units of the Switch itself, due to the console's scarcity.

In the same report, sources claim the Pokemon Company is working on creating a new "Pokemon" card-game app for smartphones and tablets. No other details were provided about the game, with a Pokemon Company spokesperson declining to comment to the report about the rumored title.

The company already has a similar app in existence, with the "Pokemon TCG Online" allowing users to play each other in a digital representation of the physical card game. The new game could be a remake of the title, bringing the aging app up to date and providing more modern features to players, such as augmented reality gameplay.

While not entirely owned by Nintendo, with the Kyoto game company owning a 32-percent stake in the Pokemon Company itself, the Pokemon games have earned Nintendo a considerable amount of revenue. The success of "Pokemon Go" last summer helped Nintendo report earnings of 20 billion yen ($176 million) from its investment.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    I certainly hope that Zelda will support a landscape presentation on an iPad, unlike Mario.
    slprescottwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    slprescottslprescott Posts: 765member
    My entry to the world of Zelda was Twilight Princess.  A beautiful & fun game.  Welcome to iOS (hopefully)!  Could be a big money-maker for Nintendo.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Nintendo probably makes more money from their iOS titles than their hardware and games combined. They should concentrate all of their efforts on mobile gaming going forward, especially resurrecting and converting all of their classic titles for iOS.
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 4 of 10
    GrimzahnGrimzahn Posts: 64member
    As long it runs on tvOS with controller.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Adapt = Lower your price. I can't afford to buy a BMW, but I'm not bugging them to lower their prices.
    Grimzahn said:
    A company that makes their own console, isn't going to sell a game they make to run on a different console.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    bdkennedy said:
    Adapt = Lower your price. I can't afford to buy a BMW, but I'm not bugging them to lower their prices.
    Grimzahn said:
    A company that makes their own console, isn't going to sell a game they make to run on a different console.

They certainly might, if/when they realize that they can make MUCH more money selling Zelda/Mario/Pokémon games on other platforms than they make selling consoles.  Their IP portfolio with worth billions; locking it to their own low profit margin hardware that they struggle to manufacture is silly.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    techprod1gytechprod1gy Posts: 838member
    I just hope they will expand their intent with mobile gaming.  I thought Mario was good on a phone meant to play 1 handed and all...but there is a huge opportunity for all the Mario classics as is for Apple TV and a controller.  Keep expanding good concepts but in parallel bring out what you already have as is...
  • Reply 8 of 10
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    My entry to the world of Zelda was Twilight Princess.  A beautiful & fun game.  Welcome to iOS (hopefully)!  Could be a big money-maker for Nintendo.
    My God that was the worst one.
    I really hope you tried the other titles.

if this was a tvOS title for the next Apple TV I would lose it!
  • Reply 9 of 10
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Nintendo probably makes more money from their iOS titles than their hardware and games combined. They should concentrate all of their efforts on mobile gaming going forward, especially resurrecting and converting all of their classic titles for iOS.
    I highly doubt that. Nintendo makes a fortune from their Pokemon 3DS titles. No way an iOS game would come close to what Nintendo brings in from Pokemon. Knowing Nintendo, I highly doubt they would resurrect classic games for iOS. I know this is never happening, but it would be cool if they made NES or SNES classics available on the Apple TV.