Injunction against Uber says company should have known about stolen Waymo self-driving car...

Posted:
in General Discussion
A newly-unsealed injunction against Uber argues that the company knew -- or should have known -- that hire Anthony Levandowski had taken 14,000 files from Alphabet's self-driving division, Waymo.

The injunction blocks Levandowski from work on Uber's LiDAR technology, or consulting on it with other Uber workers, according to The Recorder. The company must also return the files to Waymo by May 31, avoid using any of their data, and provide details on any people who accessed them.

The U.S. District Judge who approved the injunction, William Alsup, did however deny a Waymo request to block Uber from using two patents, claiming that they aren't actually being used in any of Uber's current technology.

Uber has never denied that Levandowski took files from Waymo, but has maintained its own innocence in using them or even having them in its possession. After leaving Waymo -- previously a project within Google -- Levandowski founded the self-driving truck company Otto, which was bought by Uber several months later. The company is not only facing a civil lawsuit from Waymo but a potential criminal investigation into theft of trade secrets.

Prior to the injunction, which was issued last week under seal, Uber had already sidelined Levandowski and said it was willing to accept that being formalized.

The conflict could have major ramifactions for the ridesharing industry and self-driving technology in general. Waymo and Uber are just two of many companies developing self-driving platforms, but are also some of the only few operating on public roads.

Apple has only just begun public testing, using a handful of modified Lexus RX450h SUVs. The company should decide sometime this year whether to resume designing a full-fledged vehicle or partner with one or more third-party automakers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Uber is under attack from several directions at once. There's this injunction added to a previous injunction. Then there's a criminal investigation concerning Uber's efforts to hide from officials in cities in places they were not permitted to operate. Then there will most likely be another criminal investigation of Uber flowing from the Waymo lawsuits. I suspect there's more to come too,.

Tangentially related there's new today that Waymo mas signed on Lyft as a partner, and Honda too is in talks with Waymo for their autonomous platform. On top of that both Volvo and Audi are working with Google to build full-on Android-based vehicle control systems in the near future. A lot of activity lately.
     https://blog.google/products/android/smarter-cars-powered-android/
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 2 of 13
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    Uber and Lyft are great ideas, but the companies are overvalued.  Uber reminds me of Enron.

Every time I read about Uber I feel the need to wash my hands.  

Lyft is relatively under the radar.  But their slow and steady approach with probably win the race.

mdriftmeyercalipscooter63
  • Reply 3 of 13
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    Is the injunction the end of this case, or just the beginning? 

If it's the end, then I don't think it's enough. Hopefully it's just the beginning. 
  • Reply 4 of 13
    blastdoor said:
    Is the injunction the end of this case, or just the beginning? 

If it's the end, then I don't think it's enough. Hopefully it's just the beginning. 
    There's still a trial to come AFAIK. This is preliminary stuff. 

• Reply 5 of 13
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,485member
    Waiting to see these files "leaked" to the Internet.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Bye Uber.
    mdriftmeyer
  • Reply 7 of 13
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member

Lyft is relatively under the radar.  But their slow and steady approach with probably win the race.
    If only the Lyft app worked properly -- on my device it never gives fare estimates, only "N/A". So I use the Uber app.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    That Tony guy sure will have a black marked career from here on out.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    gatorguy said:
    Uber is under attack from several directions at once. There's this injunction added to a previous injunction. Then there's a criminal investigation concerning Uber's efforts to hide from officials in cities in places they were not permitted to operate. Then there will most likely be another criminal investigation of Uber flowing from the Waymo lawsuits. I suspect there's more to come too,.

Tangentially related there's new today that Waymo mas signed on Lyft as a partner, and Honda too is in talks with Waymo for their autonomous platform. On top of that both Volvo and Audi are working with Google to build full-on Android-based vehicle control systems in the near future. A lot of activity lately.
     https://blog.google/products/android/smarter-cars-powered-android/
    I think the self-inflicted arrogant CEO has enough guns he's pointing at his own scalp and this example is one of the reasons why. Add the Apple stunt and the company should force his resignation or see it's value plummet.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    These make me laugh. Someone stealing from google for once and they can't stand it.

too bad the medicine isn't as large as iPhone was.
    watto_cobra[Deleted User]
  • Reply 11 of 13
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    bdkennedy said:
    Bye Uber.
    I hope so, but I'm not optimistic.

despite what we tell kids, cheaters often do win
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Oh the two faces of Google:

When Apple sued Samsung for copying the iPhone's Intellectual Property: "Companies only sue when they've run out of ideas, can't innovate and are trying to stifle competition. We don't sue." (paraphrased)

On the appearance of their Intellectual Property being taken by a former staffer and maybe used in something that isn't even on the market: SUE SUE SUE BLOODY MURDER SUE SUE SUE!
    edited May 2017 watto_cobra[Deleted User]
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Oh the two faces of Google:

When Apple sued Samsung for copying the iPhone's Intellectual Property: "Companies only sue when they've run out of ideas, can't innovate and are trying to stifle competition. We don't sue." (paraphrased)
    Un-paraphrased:
    "The court of appeals will review both infringement and the validity of the patent claims. Most of these don’t relate to the core Android operating system, and several are being re-examined by the US Patent Office. The mobile industry is moving fast and all players — including newcomers — are building upon ideas that have been around for decades. We work with our partners to give consumers innovative and affordable products, and we don’t want anything to limit that.”
    You were close. :)
    edited May 2017