Instagram continues copying Snapchat with new 'face filters' on iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone
Facebook's Instagram on Tuesday launched "face filters" for the iPhone, once again copying a signature feature of its main competition, Snapchat.

Like its counterpart, the Instagram feature projects animated visual effects around people on an image, in this case things such as crowns, koala ears, or floating math equations and "nerd" glasses. There are eight initial filters which work with both photos and video, and front and rear cameras.

The option can be found by opening up the app's camera and tapping a face icon in the bottom right.

Facebook has been building a number of Snapchat features into its apps, most notably Stories, even using the same name. While Snap hasn't threatened any legal action, the issue has raised enough attention to draw criticism from people like model Miranda Kerr, the fiancee of Snap CEO Evan Spiegel.

Snap has been upgrading in a bid to stay ahead, for instance adding "World Lenses" that position 3D objects in an environment.

Other Instagram features added today include a "Rewind" effect for video, hashtag stickers that can be tapped for related content, and a new eraser brush when drawing over photos or video. The company noted that by tapping and holding on a color people can fill the frame, then use the eraser to selectively reveal parts of an image.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    God I think those things are so stupid. 
    fotoformatjbdragoncaliwatto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 12
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,956member
    A good measure of the sophistication of modern Americans. If it's shiny and moves, we are transfixed by it. We are no longer a country to be taken seriously. 
    edited May 2017 fotoformatYvLywatto_cobradoozydozenbadmonk
  • Reply 3 of 12
    What I'm confused by is how many adults use Snapchat and the like. It just comes off as something meant for children and maybe early teens. I know several people in their 20s and 40s who use these filters regularly and think they're "so fun!".  I don't get it. Hopefully, enough kid's mothers start to use it that the kids lose interest and these things just fade into memory. 
    jbdragonwatto_cobrabadmonk
  • Reply 4 of 12
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    It's one thing to touch you a photo to maker it look a little better. But adding all this crap, I just don't get it.  To me it's a kids thing to do like real stickers.  Then you grow out of it.  Teens I'll give a pass, but once your 18 or so, grow up already.

watto_cobrabadmonk
  • Reply 5 of 12
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    What I'm confused by is how many adults use Snapchat and the like. It just comes off as something meant for children and maybe early teens. I know several people in their 20s and 40s who use these filters regularly and think they're "so fun!".  I don't get it. Hopefully, enough kid's mothers start to use it that the kids lose interest and these things just fade into memory. 
    I had a tough guy online talking crap to me and threatening me but his profile picture was him with the stupid dog ears and nose.
    badmonk
  • Reply 6 of 12
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    A good measure of the sophistication of modern Americans. If it's shiny and moves, we are transfixed by it. We are no longer a country to be taken seriously. 
    Pretty stupid comment. I didn't realize features on Snapchat are a good reference to what a nation of over 300 million likes.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 7 of 12
    cali said:
    I had a tough guy online talking crap to me and threatening me but his profile picture was him with the stupid dog ears and nose.
    Oh, right! The obvious sign of a tough guy, the puppy dog.  

My friend's wife sent me a video of herself with the dog ears and nose to "prove" how funny it was.  Aside from just being silly (in the lacking good sense, sense) it also appeared stupid with the ears coming out of her forehead.  "You can't tell me you didn't laugh at that!!"  She's right, I laughed.  But not in the way she was hoping.

I sort of understand the people who say they have Snapchat so they can monitor what their kids are up to (I'm not sure how or even if that works) but they lose some credibility once they start to use the app themselves (with people other than their own kids).

I expect adults to use these apps the same way as I would expect them to use a bounce house.  That is to say, either don't do it at all OR do it once to try it out and maybe get a little laugh and then never do it again.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    rotateleftbyterotateleftbyte Posts: 1,630member
    If they are blatantly copying Snap why hasn't Snap sued Facebook?
    IF this keeps up, Snap will soon go the way of MySpace in that there is no reason to use it over Facebook.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    If they are blatantly copying Snap why hasn't Snap sued Facebook?
    IF this keeps up, Snap will soon go the way of MySpace in that there is no reason to use it over Facebook.
    Can they reasonably sue Facebook?  It seems unlikely unless they have patents or trademarks or something that protects their features from being copied.  

I agree, though, it seems Snap won't be around for long with Instagram/Facebook duplicating all of Snapchat's features.  Unless the user base of Snap doesn't overlap with Instagram/Facebook which may be possible.  I see a lot of teens who get Snapchat notifications like crazy but who also don't really use FB.  They may have an FB account but it isn't their go to app for most things. 
  • Reply 10 of 12
    cali said:

My friend's wife sent me a video of herself with the dog ears and nose to "prove" how funny it was.  Aside from just being silly (in the lacking good sense, sense) it also appeared stupid with the ears coming out of her forehead.  "You can't tell me you didn't laugh at that!!"  She's right, I laughed.  But not in the way she was hoping.

I sort of understand the people who say they have Snapchat so they can monitor what their kids are up to (I'm not sure how or even if that works) but they lose some credibility once they start to use the app themselves (with people other than their own kids).

I expect adults to use these apps the same way as I would expect them to use a bounce house.  That is to say, either don't do it at all OR do it once to try it out and maybe get a little laugh and then never do it again.
    Well females use it to be "cute". It's quite annoying and creepy. There was a point where %90 of all profile pics from females were the puppy face. When a guy has that as his profile pic it's hard to take him as an adult.

It got pretty bad and this is an example of the cringe posts you'd see at its peak:

I just shook my head at that......

there was a person who used it at a funeral on the deceased and the father who got sick of his daughter using the dog face on all her pictures so he taught her a lesson:

And some sad but true memes:

watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    I don't like calling them "filters" because they're more like effects, teens just don't know the difference and are again, butchering the English language. 
    edited May 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 12
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    cali said:
    cali said:

Well females use it to be "cute". It's quite annoying and creepy. There was a point where %90 of all profile pics from females were the puppy face. When a guy has that as his profile pic it's hard to take him as an adult.

It got pretty bad and this is an example of the cringe posts you'd see at its peak:

I just shook my head at that......

There's no way that could happen, unless she was a b**ch as well...