Is Ti design getting long in the tooth?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    [quote]Originally posted by warpd:

<strong>Sorry! I mean this...<a href="http://www.dynamism.com/gt3/gallery.shtml"; target="_blank">Bad ass laptop!!</a></strong><hr></blockquote>

wow, that is ugly. all those rounded corners... some nice ideas, but what an ugly implementation.

the problem of heat should be dealt with at the source, a cooler apollo is what is needed.

[ 02-25-2002: Message edited by: janitor ]</p>
  • Reply 22 of 26
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    The heat from a highspeed processor need sto go somewhere. If not disipate through the bottom then where? It would be nice but an engineering nightmare to thread a watercooling system up through the display hinge. You have to design plastics to bend thousnad s and thousands of times without cracking. i suppose it's been done/ Anywhoo, you can make the thing a little more lap=cifrnedly if you push the heat oue somewhere else. The palmrest? The heatsink should be the ENTIRE metal surface of the computer.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    falconfalcon Posts: 458member
    [quote]Sorry! I mean this...Bad ass laptop!!<hr></blockquote>

No no no, you mean this:

Intel® Pentium® III processor 1.1GHz,

512MB SDRAM,

Toshiba Personal Theatre 15" UXGA active matrix display (1600 X 1200),

NVIDIA® GeForce4? 440 Go graphics controller with 32MB DDR VRAM

DVD/CD-RW multifunction drive,

40GB Hard drive,

Yamaha Sound System featuring harman/kardon® Stereo Speakers with subwoofer
  • Reply 24 of 26
    How thick is it? Great specs all the same! It still runs that, what do they call it? Windows?

[ 02-25-2002: Message edited by: Macintosh ]</p>
  • Reply 25 of 26
    warpdwarpd Posts: 204member
    [quote] No no no, you mean this: <hr></blockquote>

Yes, but is in not really a desktop replacement, as much as it is a desktop!! The thing weighs a ton, and is about as attractive as Yassir Arafat in the shower. Sure is cheap though!
  • Reply 26 of 26
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jeremiah Rich:

<strong>I don't personally like the idea of a non-removable Lithium Polymer battery because

1) It would make the feature for swapping out a dead battery while in sleep mode impossible. This is a very attractive feature to me, and as long as they keep it in the next REV or PBG5 lol, it will add immensely to the value.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'd forgotten about sleep-swapping, but still, my design called for a second, modular battery as well. So if you wanted you could have a laptop with 5-6 hour battery life and no possibility of the battery falling out, or you could plug in the second battery and get 10-12 hour battery life! You'd only have to sleep-swap when the internal battery was down on power: Otherwise you could hot swap the second battery.

[quote]<strong>2)When the battery goes dead (as in broken), you would not be able to swap it out, and would be required to send it back to Apple.</strong><hr></blockquote>

This is already true of the miniscule internal battery that Apple uses to allow for sleep swapping. Since batteries don't break often, I don't see that as much of an issue. I could amend the design to have the "built-in" battery modular, but screwed in like the original iBook's, so that it was absolutely secure but easily removable if it needed to be removed.