Apple to update MacBooks at WWDC 2017, including possible Air, Pro refreshes

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member

Won't one key thing is they update the macbooks usb-C port to Thunderbolt 3?
    That would make it a "Pro" Macbook.
  • Reply 22 of 60
    The computer should otherwise be mostly unchanged from last year, though it might be equipped with Apple's rumored ARM chip for low-power functions

I guess nobody figured out what runs the TouchBar rofl.

Most of these upgrades are incredibly boring, but I'm careful not to wish for much excitement after Swift was dropped on us and all the UltraFine bullshit.

Swift is AWESOME.  You understand that this is the Worldwide Developers Conference, right?
    doozydozenwatto_cobrafastasleepStrangeDayschia
  • Reply 23 of 60
    anome said:

Will be interested to see if they update the MacBook Pro this soon, and also whether it really is only a processor update. I think some people are hoping they'll admit they made some mistakes with the last one, and include a non USB-C port of some kind (probably USB-A).

Also, certain commentators will probably really hope they change the keyboard, since that apparently makes the current MBP unusable.

As I won't be updating my MacBook this cycle, since I am perfectly happy with my 2016 MBP, I'm more interested in other things they might announce. New desktops would be nice (although, again, my Mac mini is fine and not having any problems as yet). New iPads Pro have also been rumoured. New monitors? If the mini gets an update, might be time to roll out a new Apple Cinema Display to go with it (and the MBP, and next year's Mac Pro). Unlikely, I know.

"some people" and "certain commentators" are idiots.  Adding a USB-A to a MBP would be like adding a floppy drive to the second generation iMac.
    Rayz2016stompydoozydozenwatto_cobrafastasleepStrangeDayschia
  • Reply 24 of 60
    Come on. Let's see an update to the Mini and the Mac Pro! This is just ridiculous.
    baconstang
  • Reply 25 of 60
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    The MacBook Air will never die.

Maybe.  But someone recently unloaded a slew of 15" MBA with i5's and 8GB of RAM for $750 on eBay - I happily snapped one up and am typing on it right now. 

I no longer trust Apple to act rationally at the low end :(
  • Reply 26 of 60
    kztexkztex Posts: 5member
    How about a 14" MacBook? I'd buy that in a second.
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 60
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    docno42 said:

Maybe.  But someone recently unloaded a slew of 15" MBA with i5's and 8GB of RAM for $750 on eBay - I happily snapped one up and am typing on it right now. 

13"
    doozydozenwatto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 28 of 60
    Oh, goody. More updates to non-desktop Macs. Yaaaaaaay.
  • Reply 29 of 60
    r00fus1r00fus1 Posts: 65member
    macxpress said:
    I don't know why Apple would leave the MacBook Air in their lineup still. The only thing I can think of is they want a sub $1,000 Mac laptop and they can't get the price point of the 12" MacBook down to that yet. I still think the days of the MacBook Air are limited though.
    Withdrawing the MBA right now would make the laptop series too unbalanced towards the Pro line. I think a new machine in entry-level Macbook series (maybe an 15 inch?) must be introduced to withdraw the MBA.
    15" entry-level? You don't know Apple.
  • Reply 30 of 60
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    macxpress said:
    I don't know why Apple would leave the MacBook Air in their lineup still. The only thing I can think of is they want a sub $1,000 Mac laptop and they can't get the price point of the 12" MacBook down to that yet. I still think the days of the MacBook Air are limited though.
    Give it retina screen, up-to-date processor, change one of the USB's to a USB-C and I'll buy it six ways to Sunday over the "new pink book" toy with its awful KB and limited hookups unless attached to a fugly splitter of some sort.   And pay an extra hundred for that.   
    baconstang
  • Reply 31 of 60
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    bigpics said:
    macxpress said:
    Give it retina screen, up-to-date processor, change one of the USB's to a USB-C and I'll buy it six ways to Sunday over the "new pink book" toy with its awful KB and limited hookups unless attached to a fugly splitter of some sort.   And pay an extra hundred for that.   
    Given the Air with the same size SSD is only slightly cheaper then Macbook 12.
    Surely they could drop updated Macbook with smaller SSD in to the same price point as current air or even lower then make Macbook series 2 at current prices.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 32 of 60
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    The computer should otherwise be mostly unchanged from last year, though it might be equipped with Apple's rumored ARM chip for low-power functions

I guess nobody figured out what runs the TouchBar rofl.

Most of these upgrades are incredibly boring, but I'm careful not to wish for much excitement after Swift was dropped on us and all the UltraFine bullshit.
    Do you think the upgrades have a T2 processor with enough beef to run an eSIM cellular radio?
    Seems to be the next step and would make sense why there are rumours of MacBookPro's being in this round.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 60
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    docno42 said:

Apple has never had a low end 
    watto_cobrapscooter63StrangeDays
  • Reply 34 of 60
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    ireland said:
    I'd like a MacBook Air with a Retina display. Most unlikely, but that's what I want. I couldn't move to a 12" display.
    Apple does sell that except it's now called 13" MBP without TouchBar
    doozydozenanomewatto_cobraentropysrandominternetpersonchia
  • Reply 35 of 60
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    ireland said:
    I'd like a MacBook Air with a Retina display. Most unlikely, but that's what I want. I couldn't move to a 12" display.
    No, it is Phil Schiller who tries to sell it that way ;-) If that was true Apple would discontinue the Macbook Air as soon as the 13" MBP without Touch Bar is launched. That 13" MBP still belongs to the Pro line, not to the entry-level line like the Macbook Air.
    ireland
  • Reply 36 of 60
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    anome said:

Will be interested to see if they update the MacBook Pro this soon, and also whether it really is only a processor update. I think some people are hoping they'll admit they made some mistakes with the last one, and include a non USB-C port of some kind (probably USB-A).

Also, certain commentators will probably really hope they change the keyboard, since that apparently makes the current MBP unusable.

As I won't be updating my MacBook this cycle, since I am perfectly happy with my 2016 MBP, I'm more interested in other things they might announce. New desktops would be nice (although, again, my Mac mini is fine and not having any problems as yet). New iPads Pro have also been rumoured. New monitors? If the mini gets an update, might be time to roll out a new Apple Cinema Display to go with it (and the MBP, and next year's Mac Pro). Unlikely, I know.

"some people" and "certain commentators" are idiots.  Adding a USB-A to a MBP would be like adding a floppy drive to the second generation iMac.

Yes, and I find the keyboard pretty sweet, myself. Very easy to type on, but it's a sticking point for some users, who happen to have a public platform to complain about it.

I quite agree they are idiots, at least on this topic. The lack of forward thinking regarding the MBP in the press bothers me greatly.

[EDIT] I apologise for using the weasel-y words "some people" and "certain commentators" rather than naming names, or being more specific. I didn't really want to single out individuals for something I've seen in a number of places online.

edited May 2017 randominternetperson
  • Reply 37 of 60
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Come on. Let's see an update to the Mini and the Mac Pro! This is just ridiculous.
    You must have been off the Internet for the last couple months and missed the news...
    irelandmacxpressStrangeDays
  • Reply 38 of 60
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member

If Apple updates the MBP at WWDC, I'll be all over it like white on rice!

If the price cut is announced as well, then it'll be extra gravy!

Phil should announce the price cut and say "overpriced my ass!".

edited May 2017
  • Reply 39 of 60
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Would a removal of the headphone jack also count as an update? :grimace: 

>:x

EDIT: Cannot find the thinking face emoji.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 40 of 60
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    ireland said:
    I repeat, I want a MBA with a Retina display. I don't want to lose my MagSafe. And yes, I'm aware the chances of this happening are truly slim.
    edited May 2017 linkmanbaconstangMplsP