Watch: All the hardware rumored to debut at WWDC 2017

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2017
Alongside a widely rumored Siri home speaker, a report on Tuesday claims Apple is preparing a few minor MacBook updates for its upcoming WWDC 2017 conference in June.

For more reviews, news, tips, features and more, subscribe to AppleInsider on YouTube. We're also interested in your questions about WWDC 2017. Chime in on our forums, and we'll address it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Meanwhile in google land

Shipments of 600,000 to 700,000 Pixels in the fourth quarter last year, and probably half that amount in the first quarter of 2017. (Apple, by comparison, shipped 50.8 million iPhones in the first quarter.) 

And google is delighted! losers
    pscooter63
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Apple will not announce any new products ( a laptop does not count) at the software fair.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 3 of 11
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Any laptop upgrade has to be minor because Intel has been slow delivering new CPUs. I'm sure Apple is getting as antsy with Intel as they did with IBM and Motorola neither of which could deliver a PPC. 

So, when is Apple going to build their own X86 processors? When that happens, bye-bye to both AMD and Intel. 
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 4 of 11
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Apple will not announce any new products ( a laptop does not count) at the software fair.  
    Despite the countless times they have in the past, this time it's not possible?
    mattinoz
  • Reply 5 of 11
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

larryjw said:

Any laptop upgrade has to be minor because Intel has been slow delivering new CPUs. I'm sure Apple is getting as antsy with Intel as they did with IBM and Motorola neither of which could deliver a PPC. 

So, when is Apple going to build their own X86 processors? When that happens, bye-bye to both AMD and Intel. 
    There's a couple things to consider. First, Apple is already including their own ARM-based design running OS X in new MacBook Pros. Second, there are potential advancements to display and battery tech that may be cost effective and mass producible that would be great to have. Third, a desire to buy the new MacBook Pro at $100-300 less, which is common for a major spec bump that cost a lot in R&D. Apple seems to like to get this paid off and then lower the price back down. Finally, I don't know if Kaby Lake will be available in the quantities Apple needs, but I see no reason why it couldn't be. I think Intel knows they're losing their monopoly position.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 6 of 11
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    I am okay with Apple axing the iPad mini if they update their iBooks app. Right now, books are easier to read on the mini because of the reduced line length. A way to adjust line length should be an easy challenge for Craig's team.

While they are at it, adjusting the leading (the spacing between the lines) would be great as well. iBooks should be a showcase from Apple to express their love for typography.

>:x
  • Reply 7 of 11
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    mr o said:
    I am okay with Apple axing the iPad mini if they update their iBooks app. Right now, books are easier to read on the mini because of the reduced line length. A way to adjust line length should be an easy challenge for Craig's team.

Turn your regular-sized iPad sideways.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    mr o said:

Yes, fair point, turning the iPad sideways does indeed create shorter line lengths. However, you'll have to deal with a two column layout. I do prefer a focused one column layout.

• Reply 9 of 11
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    AI went from the best Apple rumor and news site in the universe to this guy's half-asleep, nothing new, may-it-will-maybe-it-won't YouTube video?  Pathetic.  
  • Reply 10 of 11
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    sdw2001 said:
    AI went from the best Apple rumor and news site in the universe to this guy's half-asleep, nothing new, may-it-will-maybe-it-won't YouTube video?  Pathetic.  
    At least the political commentary is still spicy.  ;)
  • Reply 11 of 11
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    mr o said:
    mr o said:

Yes, fair point, turning the iPad sideways does indeed create shorter line lengths. However, you'll have to deal with a two column layout. I do prefer a focused one column layout.

Ok then — switch to Scrolling View while horizontal and it narrows a bit more. Increase font size for even more line length shortening.