Renders of the 'iPhone 8' from CAD file shows possible glass back, wireless charging

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2017
A collection of new renders for the 'iPhone 8' surfaced this morning, claimed to be created based on a 'highly detailed CAD file' of the smartphone's chassis, with the images seemingly showing the new rear dual camera orientation and a section on the glass back supposedly used for wireless charging.

Render of the 'iPhone 8' based on a CAD file, via Engadget
Render of the 'iPhone 8' based on a CAD file, via Engadget

Several renders have been created from the CAD file, provided by a "reliable source" of Engadget within the accessory industry, and showing what could be the 'iPhone 8' from a variety of angles, including the front and rear.

Following on from earlier rumors about wireless charging, the back side of the rendered device appears to have a "carved out area," which may be used to house a wireless charging coil. The back is also covered in glass, giving it a sleek appearance as well as allowing wireless charging to function at the rear.

The rear camera bump is seen to be vertically aligned in the renders, with the report also claiming the flash and a microphone will also be included as part of the bump. Due to the size of the device, it is suggested the vertical camera arrangement could become a standard feature for other iPhone releases in the future.

The report's source advises the screen sizes of the next generation of iPhone will receive a bump, with the 4.7-inch version increasing to 5 inches, and the 5.5-inch "Plus" model growing to 5.8 inches. This seems to go against earlier rumors claiming there to be three iPhones on the way, with the high-specification 'iPhone 8' accompanied by the 'iPhone 7s' and 'iPhone 7s Plus.'

On the front, the render shows the Touch ID fingerprint reader at the bottom of the screen, visually appearing similar to the usual home button, but said to be flush with the glass. While previous rumors suggested the home button could be replaced by a software-based version as part of a longer display panel, lines on the screen seemingly showing the top and bottom of the display indicate this may not be the case, at least for this render.

It appears that there are two camera modules on the front, in the top left corner, above the display. The use of two cameras on the front could possibly be used for a 3D sensing system, mapping the user's face using stereoscopic imagery, though it is also possible that one could be a 3D laser scanning module.

It is unclear if an edge-to-edge display will be used in the 'iPhone 8' based on the renders, though this has been previously rumored. Though details about the dimensions of the rendered device were not specified, it is noted that measurements in the CAD file indicate the 'iPhone 8' will have a marginally taller, wider, and thicker body than its predecessor, the iPhone 7.

Due to the "nature" of the CAD file that Engadget refuses to publish, it is plausible that the images are somewhat accurate, but the report notes there is always the possibility the renders could be false, or that Apple has opted for a different design.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    This could be the 7s. Doubt Apple wouldn't make at least one more bezel smaller like every other manufacturer is doing. 
  • Reply 2 of 26
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    This would look slick without camera bump.

clemynx said:
    This could be the 7s. Doubt Apple wouldn't make at least one more bezel smaller like every other manufacturer is doing. 

Apple makes iPhone. iPhone doesn't follow knockoffs.

jbdragondoozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 26
    cali said:

clemynx said:

Nobody cares about the frigging camera bump. Enough.
    StrangeDaysdoozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 26

Following on from earlier rumors about wireless charging, the back side of the rendered device appears to have a "carved out area," which may be used to house a wireless charging coil
    Where does this exist in this render? I see nothing even remotely close. I see a flat glass back.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    This is a 7s.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    78Bandit78Bandit Posts: 238member

I'm betting this is the 7S and not the 8.  Overall design looks like a minor refresh of the 6, 6S, and 7 chassis.  Camera rotation is different and it has a glass back, but it still has the large bezels at the top and bottom, the rounded corners, and the beveled sides.

Not sure if this bodes well for the iPhone 8.  If it is the 7S then it is more of a redesign than I would have expected and it will be odd to have two distinct flagship devices released at the same time.  If it is indeed the 8 then it is nowhere near as refined as I anticipated without the rumored full-screen display and under-glass touch ID.

indiekidukdoozydozenSpamSandwich
  • Reply 7 of 26
    indiekidukindiekiduk Posts: 381member
    Engadget first said they were sent CAD files which they rendered into these images. Then as an update they said they were sent more renders. This contradiction is enough for me to think it's a totally fake story.
    doozydozen[Deleted User]
  • Reply 8 of 26
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    iPhone 8 really needs AMOLED and less bezels. It would be super disappointing if they once again kept a similar design. They would likely starting losing sales to Samsung.

They don't need to increase pixel density though. Apple has that right with Retina. No need to bog down the GPU with worthless pixels.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,178member
    Engadget first said they were sent CAD files which they rendered into these images. Then as an update they said they were sent more renders. This contradiction is enough for me to think it's a totally fake story.
    Why think it's a fake because they updated the story with renders of the FRONT to add to the ones they already had posted of the back. There's no contradiction that I can see. What are YOU referring to?
  • Reply 10 of 26
    This is def the iPhone 7S or iPhone 8 not the bezel less iPhone Edition Model. KGI a while back said the successors to the 7 this year would also get glass backs for wireless charging and the dual cam on the normal model. If they redesign it enough with glass backs like these CAD's suggest I think Apple will skip the 7S name and make it the iPhone 8 & 8 Plus and then we will have the iPhone Edition with a super high price. The one thing I don't like in this article is a bump up in screen from 5.5 to 5.8 for the Plus model here, if they really do 5.8 with the same bezels with will be the biggest phone out there way to big to handle, theres something not right here Apple won't want to make such a giant phone body bigger than the 7 Plus we have now with its current size bezels, there conflicting information here, I think someone got confused.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    cali said:
    Do not care. I want good pictures, not OCD therapy.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 12 of 26
    cali said:

clemynx said:

I care. It looks like ****. It looks like someone slapped a toaster onto a refrigerator.
    edited May 2017 doozydozen[Deleted User]
  • Reply 13 of 26
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    cali said:

clemynx said:

Don't say no one cares. I care. It looks extremely tacky and not Apple-like. Most people don't care because they use a case but it doesn't change the fact it looks terrible. 

I used to be a big fan of never using cases on my iPhones but with the iPhone 6 and especially the 7, I basically use a case because I have to. The phone doesn't lay flat and texting or operating the phone on a flat surface (desk for example) is annoying without it.
    doozydozen[Deleted User]SpamSandwich
  • Reply 14 of 26
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    seankill said:
    Don't say no one cares. I care. It looks extremely tacky and not Apple-like. Most people don't care because they use a case but it doesn't change the fact it looks terrible. 

I used to be a big fan of never using cases on my iPhones but with the iPhone 6 and especially the 7, I basically use a case because I have to. The phone doesn't lay flat and texting or operating the phone on a flat surface (desk for example) is annoying without it.
    If you are at a desk then there is probably a computer in front of you. Use that to text. Everything about a mobile device is a compromise. In the case of the camera, the bump is a trade off for superior photos.
    doozydozenfastasleep
  • Reply 15 of 26
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    seankill said:
    cali said:

clemynx said:

So would you rather not have updated technology and no bump? Believe me if Apple were able to fit the technology in the phone without it protruding, I am pretty sure they would.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 16 of 26
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,178member
    In the case of the iPhone the size of the camera bump is a trade-off for thinness IMHO. There are some very good (in some cases more highly rated) smartphone camera's without as pronounced a camera-bump as Apple's. Not that it really matters tho since Apple's iPhone designs are iconic, and is seems most buyers prefer the slim profile over making it thicker just to hide the bump. 

Cases are a different issue tho. Buying a beautiful phone just the color you want to show off and then hiding it in a case where the beauty of it can't be appreciated? 
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 17 of 26
    volcan said:
    seankill said:

If you are at a desk then there is probably a computer in front of you. Use that to text. Everything about a mobile device is a compromise. In the case of the camera, the bump is a trade off for superior photos.
    Makes sense...... Oh wait.. Your assumption is the desk has a Mac computer, not a Windows or not one at all. The same holds true for sitting at tables. It was merely an example. I understand this is a trade-off with Apple's growing obsession with making things thinner. The thinness is nice but the camera bump still appears sloppy for Apple.

JinTech said:
    seankill said:
    cali said:

clemynx said:

So would you rather not have updated technology and no bump? Believe me if Apple were able to fit the technology in the phone without it protruding, I am pretty sure they would.

They certainly could. It would just mean making the phone thicker...... I am hoping at some point they are able to design the bump out but I imagine when they are capable, they will simply make the phone thinner again...

• Reply 18 of 26
    dat bump tho! 

as someone else mentioned, the protrusion on my 6S is one of the reasons I have a slim case - so my phone is flush and smooth to hold on all sides. I always rocked my 5 "naked", but that could be partly why it met its demise... drowned in my back pocket while sitting in a hottub lol
  • Reply 19 of 26
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    seankill said:
    cali said:

clemynx said:

You figure out how to conquer the current limits of photographic optics and let Apple know when you do. Meanwhile, I'll be using the best mobile camera available on the market.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    seankill said:
    cali said:

clemynx said:

You figure out how to conquer the current limits of photographic optics and let Apple know when you do. Meanwhile, I'll be using the best mobile camera available on the market.

Your thought process is too one dimensional, you assume the thickness of the phone is fixed and only the camera can be compensated. 

While the iPhone camera is top tier, it generally is not considered the absolute best on the market by reviews and I tend to agree.