New mockup photos purport to show final design of Apple's 'iPhone 8'

Posted:
in iPhone
Photos of a mockup published on Wedesday are claimed to show the finished design of Apple's "iPhone 8," including a vertical twin-lens camera on the rear, and the absence of any physical home button or obvious Touch ID sensor.

As hinted at in rumors the mockup includes an edge-to-edge screen with "2.5D" glass curved at the edges, according to BGR, which suggested the mockup was built using schematics leaked from Apple manufacturers. The sides are said to be rounded stainless steel, echoing the design of the original iPhone from 2007.

The bottom of the phone is more reminiscent of the iPhone 7, with a Lightning port, twin speaker grills, and no sign of a restored 3.5-millimeter headphone jack.

Use of glass extends to the back, where as anticipated there's no relocated fingerprint sensor. Apple has reportedly had trouble embedding a Touch ID sensor into the phone's 5.8-inch OLED screen, and some earlier rumors indicated that Apple might go with rear-mounted Touch ID if it couldn't get embedded technology to work in time.

Apple is expected to announce the "iPhone 8" in September, but may not launch it until October or November because of production problems. On top of Touch ID issues, other glitches may be creating bottlenecks.

Some other "iPhone 8" features should include wireless charging, faster cable charging, and 3D facial recognition and/or iris scanning.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    RoyfbRoyfb Posts: 17member
    Looks really thick?
    doozydozenireland
  • Reply 2 of 48
    RTCRTC Posts: 14member
    Royfb said:
    Looks really thick?
    You understand what a mockup is, do you?! LOL
    Muntz
  • Reply 3 of 48
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,120member
    I think the "thickness" is more perspective than mockup.

I could see myself trying to wake up the wrong end of the phone…
    cali
  • Reply 4 of 48
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    Same problem the ATV remote has. 
    bloggerblogretrogustoirelandpalomine
  • Reply 5 of 48
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Front looks cool but the rear camera bothers me. Certainly in 2017 there's a way they can make it disappear? Eliminate the bump and the ring. I don't know why it has a ring other than to show the person where not to place their finger? I would have a silver/white ring light up while the camera is activated.

RTC said:
    Royfb said:
    Looks really thick?
    You understand what a mockup is, do you?! LOL

I'm pretty sure it's a mockup of actual rumored dimensions. Either way nothing is confirmed and this should be just for fun.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    slprescottslprescott Posts: 765member
    Let it be thicker (than shown), thus delivering on 2 common asks:
       1. Longer battery life (fill the space with a bigger battery)
       2. Flush back-camera

AI_liascali[Deleted User]
  • Reply 7 of 48
    subbiessubbies Posts: 71member
    Looks like every other IPhone..... lucky the OS is the best in the business or I would change to another brand. 
  • Reply 8 of 48
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    "Purport" to show.
    chabigireland
  • Reply 9 of 48
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Looks like it was probably not made in China. Most likely an English speaking country other than the US because the water bottle label in the background is in English but shows the contents to be Net 350ml. In the US they usually list both ounces and milliliters or sometimes just ounces. 
    patchythepiratedoozydozenmainyehcstantheman
  • Reply 10 of 48
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    I'd rather it be a little thicker. I don't know what the fascination is with thin iPhones. It gets to a point to where the phone is actually hard to handle because its too thin.
    subbies said:
    Looks like every other IPhone..... lucky the OS is the best in the business or I would change to another brand. 
    Why do we care if the phone is different looking? If its a good design, then stick with it. Not every single iPhone has to have a completely new design. There are only so many ways you can make a rectangle look.
    edited May 2017 chabigjbishop1039lamboaudi4
  • Reply 11 of 48
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Let it be thicker (than shown), thus delivering on 2 common asks:
       1. Longer battery life (fill the space with a bigger battery)
       2. Flush back-camera

That's OK, thank you.
    Don't need the phone thicker. Battery life is fine. A day of normal/heavy usage for most people, most of the time.
    Don't want a thicker phone just to make the camera flush. The vast majority of people use a case any way, negating the need for the camera bump to disappear.
    StrangeDaysdoozydozenigorskyMetriacanthosaurus
  • Reply 12 of 48
    mike1 said:
     The vast majority of people use a case anyway,...
    I have never used a case. iPhone is so beautiful, why would I want to cover it up? Using a case on an iPhone is like having a beautiful wife and making her wear a burka. 
    edited May 2017 patchythepirateking editor the gratechiabadmonk
  • Reply 13 of 48
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    volcan said:
    Looks like it was probably not made in China. Most likely an English speaking country other than the US because the water bottle label in the background is in English but shows the contents to be Net 350ml. In the US they usually list both ounces and milliliters or sometimes just ounces. 
    It's made in China. Having been there many times, I recognize the water bottle. It's C'estbon water, a Chinese brand. 
    patchythepiratedoozydozenbloggerblogiqatedoRayz2016jSnivelybadmonkmainyehc
  • Reply 14 of 48
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    volcan said:
    mike1 said:
    I have never used a case. iPhone is so beautiful, why would I want to cover it up? Using a case on an iPhone is like having a beautiful wife and making her wear a burka. 
    Why would you not use a case so the phone can look like shit in a month or two? These phones look nice yes, but they also scratch and dent pretty easily. Once that happens its no longer pretty anymore. Also, good luck when you drop it. I know you might think well just don't drop it...well shit happens. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 15 of 48
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    subbies said:
    Do you likewise select power tools for their willingness to change the way they look from year to year? Home receiver? TV?
    patchythepirateandrewj5790caliwatto_cobramainyehc
  • Reply 16 of 48
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member

volcan said:
    mike1 said:
    Yeah except for the dents and scratches. 
  • Reply 17 of 48
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    Apple has ditched the camera bump on the new iPad and has made it thicker. I don't expect any more camera bump on the new iPhone(s) either. Especially if the back is glass. Most probably the camera will be flush with the glass, just like iPhone 4.
    edited May 2017 doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 48
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    volcan said:
    mike1 said:
    I've dropped my current phone eight or nine times in the roughly two years I've owned it. I'm glad it was in a case designed to protect it!
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 48
    macxpress said:
    Why would you not use a case so the phone can look like shit in a month or two? These phones look nice yes, but they also scratch and dent pretty easily. Once that happens its no longer pretty anymore. Also, good luck when you drop it. I know you might think well just don't drop it...well shit happens. 
    Neither Steve Jobs , Tim or Schiller use a case. They all showed their naked iPhones when asked about it in a interview.

It was at this conference:

My 3 year old iPhone 6 is in absolute pristine condition. It has fallen on a wood floor once from about 3 feet high but not a mark on it. I am pretty careful with it and I keep in my front pocket all by itself. Besides I never sell them when I upgrade anyway. Too much of a hassle. I sometimes give them away. All of the iPhones I have owned have always looked perfect on the day they were retired. Even the one that went through the washing machine still looks great, although it was completely dead when it came out.

edited May 2017
  • Reply 20 of 48
    doozydozendoozydozen Posts: 539member
    The polished stainless steel is an interesting departure from the matte aluminum finishes of recent iPhones, barring jet black. I wonder if Apple will offer this model in other colors ways??