Pioneer reveals 2017 NEX aftermarket head units with CarPlay support

Posted:
in General Discussion
Pioneer has introduced a new range of aftermarket head units to its collection, with the five 2017-edition NEX in-dash multimedia receivers giving more CarPlay-compatible options to drivers to install into their vehicles, at a more consumer-friendly price point.

Pioneer AVH-3300NEX Multimedia Car Receiver

Four of the five new NEX units are double-DIN devices, with the AVH-2330NEX and AVH-2300NEX offering 7-inch displays, while the AVH-1330NEX and AVH-1300NEX use 6.2-inch screens. The last unit, the AVH-3300NEX, uses the more universal single-DUN in-dash receiver size, which is said will be more compatible with older vehicles and collectible cars.

The updated models all boast a resistive touchscreen with 24-bit color and an increased color depth, complete with a redesigned user interface. All include support for CarPlay, with Apple's automotive platform activating once an iPhone is connected via USB, with three models also including support for the rival Android Auto system.

Outside of CarPlay, the units can control music playback from a media device connected over USB, with Bluetooth connectivity allowing for hands-free calling and music streaming with up to five registerable devices. For streaming media, the units all offer the ability to access Spotify on a connected iPhone without using CarPlay, as well as the dynamic creation of new Pandora stations and presets from the main interface.

The collection all offer a 13-band graphic equalizer configurable by the touch panel, auto EQ and auto time alignment, video playback from USB and external drives, FLAC support, and connectivity to Waze for navigation.

All models are backup camera ready, working with many rear view camera systems, with the AVH-3300NEX, AVH-2330NEX, and AVH-1330NEX including dual camera inputs. The three also have a remote control for adjusting the volume and changing the audio source, with the AVH-3300NEX the only one with a motorized 7-inch display and a detachable face for security.

Pioneer is shipping all five 2017 NEX receivers in July in the United States, starting from $400 and rising to $600 for the AVH-3300NEX.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    I really don't understand the reason for these after market head units. Are people with really old cars with no built in multimedia screens going to pay $400 for a new receiver?
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 2 of 38
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Awesome! I'm so stoked Pioneer, Alpine and Kenwood are pushing CarPlay still. Some were speculating that Pioneer was going to drop out of the CarPlay segment because of renewal for licensing with the MiFi program. Looks like that they had these in the pipe all along.

I have a Pioneer 4200NEX in my Tacoma and a Kenwood 9903s in my Evo. I used the iDatalink Maestro RR in my Evo so I could get gauges. It works by tapping into the CANBUS (2 wires). In other cars, you can also tap into the HVAC controls, heated mirrors and seats and other vehicle controls. This makes it possible to replace head units that are deeply integrated into cars that control everything. Really excited that this ability has come to fruition because it keeps the aftermarket car audio industry alive.

I do wish these had wireless CarPlay though. The only option is Alpine and they have 2-volt pre-outs (not acceptable for audiophiles, though you could argue that wireless audio isn't either). 

My only ask at this point is for Apple to open CarPlay up to more developers. I have ideas for a number of apps, just wish they'd let us get involved instead of being forced to Android Auto.
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 3 of 38
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    volcan said:
    I really don't understand the reason for these after market head units. Are people with really old cars with no built in multimedia screens going to pay $400 for a new receiver?
    Headunits in most vehicles (even brand new) tend to have really poor audio and even worse functionality. Some that you upgrade the system are acceptable, but I still run into issues often. My 2015 Nissan Frontier with the Rockford Fosgate system would often reset my iPod after a few songs. Also the bluetooth wasn't very consistent.

If you are an audiophile, upgrading the head unit is almost required. Also in my opinion the UX for these aftermarket head units has beat any factory built-in unit I've worked with so far.
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 4 of 38
    joe28753joe28753 Posts: 82member
    volcan said:
    I think there are two or three markets, perhaps they are dwindling though, so I'm not sure what their long-term roadmap is. I see the high school kids with rust buckets that love these awful looking colorful flashy lights things to pimp their rides. Then there are people truly doing custom and high end audio systems and for whatever reason need or prefer aftermarket head units. Maybe they need the preouts for their amps or something. Then there are people like me. I have a 2015 Subaru Impreza that I am perfectly content with, except I wanted CarPlay. Sure, the new 2017 Impreza has it built-in, but I didn't want to buy a whole new car. So I got the Sony unit, and I'm pretty happy with it. 
    pscooter63redgeminipa
  • Reply 5 of 38
    emig647 said:
    Head units in most vehicles (even brand new) tend to have really poor audio and even worse functionality. 
    Perhaps, but if you already have a factory multimedia unit, replacing it removes functionality like rear camera and car sensor readings. A car with poor audio is usually due to a speaker issue not a head unit issue.
    albegarc
  • Reply 6 of 38
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,724member
    volcan said:
    It seems there are. Other than that I'd say: the more CarPlay options out there the better. 
  • Reply 7 of 38
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    volcan said:
    All day long. You don't have to go back too many years to find cars without screens. They were an option or only available on some trim levels until recently. Recently read somewhere that the average age of cars on the road is 10 years.
    waverboyredgeminipa
  • Reply 8 of 38
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    volcan said:
    After using CarPlay for a month in a rental car, I will never buy a car without it. My 2015 Subaru Forester has a premium audio system, but no CarPlay. I am seriously considering swapping it out for a Pioneer unit just to get it. (Pioneer makes Subaru's radios, which gives me some confidence that all the interconnected features will work.)
  • Reply 9 of 38
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    volcan said:
    I have a 2011 Subaru Legacy with a weird Bluetooth handsfree phone option. This takes up 3 DUN units in my console. I also don't have a backup camera. If the $400-$500 models fit the standard double-DUN location and I can get enough adaptors to handle steering wheel controls, then it's worth it. I'd remove the weird bluetooth setup, keeping the microphone, which is stuck to the top of the steering wheel housing. The $400 I'd spend is a whole lot less than the original cost of a navigation unit for this vehicle (if I could even make it work). 

I don't consider a six year old car old.
    stompyredgeminipa
  • Reply 10 of 38
    rob53 said:
    Perhaps there are people with six year old cars that would fork out $400 for this. Personally I don't keep cars past when the full factory service and warranty expire, well, that is except for what I call my Home Depot truck. Neither of our other two cars have CarPlay but have really nice screen features, nav, cameras and excellent audio. Both vehicles are a little more than two years old. The new models are now offered with CarPlay so next time around we will have it.

The other thing is that most people who might want this don't have the skills to install it themselves. I know I don't and I'm pretty handy. So getting professional installation would be another expense.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 11 of 38
    volcan said:
    It seems there are allot of people who disagree with your sentiment. I think anyone who can't imagine upgrading a stereo in an older car is living in a bubble. Not "everyone" is going to buy a new car just for new tech. None of the manufacturers are going to get me to pay for "on star", onboard data or map updates annually; forget it, so I wouldn't even buy that package if I was to buy a new car. I'm already going to pay $400-$500 a month for car payments. Why would I want to tack on a bunch of subs on top of that. That shot is for baby boomers who don't understand that they have what they need in their iPhones and androids. You DON'T need to pay the extra thousands, period. Financing that extra cost is even more ridiculous. It's well works installing/ upgrading your cars head unit over the manufacturer . 

You don't have to go back more than a couple of years to find that most cars don't have airplay compability. Not to mention all of the people worldwide who, unlike the privileged few, don't buy a new car even every 5 years. Yes it's well worth $500 for a stereo. Tires which need to be replaced every so often or any other work that needs to be done to a car is right often pailed in comparison with a $500-$600 receiver. The line gets drawn slightly after you start adding preamps, amps, subwoofers etc. 
    StrangeDayshodarpscooter63waverboyredgeminipa
  • Reply 12 of 38
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    volcan said:
    rob53 said:
    Perhaps there are people with six year old cars that would fork out $400 for this. Personally I don't keep cars past when the full factory service and warranty expire, well, that is except for what I call my Home Depot truck. Neither of our other two cars have CarPlay but have really nice screen features, nav, cameras and excellent audio. Both vehicles are a little more than two years old. The new models are now offered with CarPlay so next time around we will have it.

Not everyone has thousands of dollars to fork out for a new car every 3yrs, or they don't want a continuous car payment. So its much cheaper to spend $400 on a new head unit than it is $22,000 for a new car that has CarPlay included. Cars aren't just crap after the warranty are up. If you take care of your vehicle it typically takes care of you for the most part. 
    hodarrob53pscooter63waverboyredgeminipa
  • Reply 13 of 38
    volcan said:
    Yes, I did. I have a 2005 Ford F150.
    hodar
  • Reply 14 of 38
    volcan said:
    It seems there are allot of people who disagree with your sentiment. 
    It is not a sentiment. It is a quandary and a question.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    volcan said:
    Yeah, that's exactly the idea. Want a multimedia screen, but don't have one? Here is a product that scratches that itch. And it costs less that $25k for a new car. 
    StrangeDayshodarwaverboyredgeminipa
  • Reply 16 of 38
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    volcan said:
    Silly question, of course they would. And it's not "really old" cars. I had a car less than 10 years old but no built in multimedia system. I wanted one. Why on earth wouldn't i spend 400 clams on one? 
    hodarpscooter63redgeminipa
  • Reply 17 of 38
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    volcan said:
    You can easily spend $800 for a new set of tires every three or four years.  $400 is not more expensive than that. 
  • Reply 18 of 38
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    tzeshan said:
    volcan said:
    You can easily spend $800 for a new set of tires every three or four years.  $400 is not more expensive than that. 
    But for Volcan....its just as easy to buy a new car instead of a new set of tires. 
    JanNLwaverboyredgeminipa
  • Reply 19 of 38
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    volcan said:
    rob53 said:

The other thing is that most people who might want this don't have the skills to install it themselves. I know I don't and I'm pretty handy. So getting professional installation would be another expense.
    And? You can buy tons of shit in life that you can hire someone to install. Really struggling to understand your resistance to the idea, other than the fact that you're lucky enough to always have new cars. Learn to empathize with other life experiences man. 
    JanNLpscooter63waverboyredgeminipa
  • Reply 20 of 38
    leptonlepton Posts: 111member
    emig647 said:
    My only ask at this point is for Apple to open CarPlay up to more developers.
    This, I have an app that I designed for CarPlay before CarPlay came out, not knowing how few apps would get access. My NewsBrain app grabs articles from around the web and shows them, kind of like Flipboard, but it finds its interesting stuff using neural net techniques. I have a feature meant for CarPlay that shows each article picture on screen and it reads the articles aloud. Works nicely in the car, but Apple only allows a very, very few apps to integrate with CarPlay, and they are all from huge companies. So, I'm outta luck. For now.
    stompy