Watch: Rumors of a Siri home speaker heat up as Apple heads toward WWDC

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited May 2017
Apple is believed to be working on a home audio device that will allow users to make Siri queries without directly interacting with other devices. AppleInsider offers a quick rundown of all the latest rumors on Apple's so-called Siri home speaker, which could debut as soon as next month.

For more videos like this, subscribe to the official AppleInsider channel on YouTube.
kidchino78

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    mkrewsonmkrewson Posts: 12member
    I'm sorry, I stopped watching when he mispronounced iOS... 😳
    StrangeDayskeno
  • Reply 2 of 29
    I enjoy the videos immensely and I've subscribed on YouTube.. Keep em coming, please!
  • Reply 3 of 29
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    mkrewson said:
    Yeah, what the hell. Who says that?
    mkrewsonkeno
  • Reply 4 of 29
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    mkrewson said:
    LOL - to be fair, we never pronounced DOS as D-OS
    Solimike54
  • Reply 5 of 29
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,723member
    WWDC can't come soon enough:)
    Soli
  • Reply 6 of 29
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Still no leak? Let's call this bullshit!
  • Reply 7 of 29
    wwchriswwchris Posts: 60member
    Also, the A-R-M chip? You mean "arm"?
  • Reply 8 of 29
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    wwchris said:
    Also, the A-R-M chip? You mean "arm"?
    I still think “led” is easier than “Ellie D.” but who can keep up with the proper pronunciation of all these acronyms these days. I miss the days of simple acronyms like WALKATHON and HELPING CHILDREN THROUGH RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT.

cornchip
  • Reply 9 of 29
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I wasn't trying to "test" Siri just now but she failed to do basic math that included a decimal point, as in "…point five". I had to change up what I said to "…and a half" for it to understand. It heard me correctly, it just didn't parse correctly. This seems like it should be working without issue at this point.

I just got home and asked Alexa who answered faster and correctly without having to alter my verbiage.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Soli said:
    I wasn’t trying to “test” Siri just now but she failed to do basic math that included a decimal point…
    Well, she’s probably confused. She gets a lot of hard questions.

SpamSandwich
  • Reply 11 of 29
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Wow--tough crowd here. ;) 
  • Reply 12 of 29
    kenokeno Posts: 5member
    larrya said:
    mkrewson said:
    But, it was introduced as iOS, on stage, at an event were AppleInsider people were present.  The whole video lack credibility when you don't say the name of the product you cover correctly.
    StrangeDaysSoli
  • Reply 13 of 29
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    keno said:
    larrya said:
    mkrewson said:
    But, it was introduced as iOS, on stage, at an event were AppleInsider people were present.  The whole video lack credibility when you don't say the name of the product you cover correctly.
    Vadim was gone for the day and we couldn't re-shoot that one little bit and still get the video up on schedule. It was just a minor speaking flub, it happens to the best of us. We are adding more eyeballs to the QA chain to help make sure something similar doesn't happen again.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 14 of 29
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    I can't believe how bad Siri is. I asked her this morning "what special events are nearby today". She highlighted two events, one in Oklahoma City and the other in South Carolina. Mind you that I am in LA. 

I then hen ask the exact same query to Google app and got a huge list of events nearby from kids science programs, bike races, beer tasting to lobster fest, all within a mile or two from my house.
    Soli
  • Reply 15 of 29
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    volcan said:
    I can't believe how bad Siri is. I asked her this morning "what special events are nearby today". She highlighted two events, one in Oklahoma City and the other in South Carolina. Mind you that I am in LA. 

I then hen ask the exact same query to Google app and got a huge list of events nearby from kids science programs, bike races, beer tasting to lobster fest, all within a mile or two from my house.
    This doesn't really surprise me -- google owns a massive, searchable database of web metadata. That's its core business. Siri doesn't sit atop that data.

It it would never have occurred to me to ask Siri for things to do. I don't really consider that its job to be done, thus i'd hardly call that evidence of it being bad. 
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 16 of 29
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    volcan said:

This doesn't really surprise me -- google owns a massive, searchable database of web metadata. That's its core business. Siri doesn't sit atop that data.

It it would never have occurred to me to ask Siri for things to do. I don't really consider that its job to be done, thus i'd hardly call that evidence of it being bad. 
    It does sound like a reasonable use case to me. Sitting around on a Saturday morning and you and the family decide to go do something fun. You could either ask Google (Assistant) or do a Google web search I suppose. Why would you (especially!) not want Siri to be all you need and avoid using Google? 
    edited May 2017 Soli
  • Reply 17 of 29
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    This doesn't really surprise me -- google owns a massive, searchable database of web metadata. That's its core business. Siri doesn't sit atop that data.. 

It is not like it is a obcure historical data point where Google would have an advantage. This is stuff that was posted last month or last week. Why is Siri not aware of this?
  • Reply 18 of 29
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Soli said:
    I wasn't trying to "test" Siri just now but she failed to do basic math that included a decimal point, as in "…point five". I had to change up what I said to "…and a half" for it to understand. It heard me correctly, it just didn't parse correctly. This seems like it should be working without issue at this point.

I just got home and asked Alexa who answered faster and correctly without having to alter my verbiage.
    Until I see real proof of SIRI working better I see no reason to get a Watch, a car with CarPlay, AirPods or bother to use iMaps.

Siri's sad state is an anchor around lots of good Apple products.   If Apple comes out with a Speaker product it needs to work as well as Alexa does now - it can't just be a good speaker to compete with Sonos.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Siri has issues that need to be addressed first before it's ready to launch as a separate product category.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Siri has issues that need to be addressed first before it's ready to launch as a separate product category.
    That's so true.   These acquisitions in voice and AI that DED has written about had better pay off dramatic improvements to SIRI otherwise it will be an embarrassment of "The Emporer has no clothes" proportions.