Apple blames Beats headphones explosion on third-party batteries

Comments

• Reply 21 of 85
    rotateleftbyterotateleftbyte Posts: 1,630member
    sflocal said:
    Ironhead said:
    So sue the battery company, which is strangely not called out in the article.
    Seriously... so if I install a new car battery from Autozone for my Ford and it explodes, I can sue Ford?
    Yes you can if there is a fault so that the battery gets over charged. If a voltage regulator goes phut, there is a good likelyhood that the battery will go bang sometime later. I've had this happen on my Motorcycle many years ago.

dysamoria
  • Reply 22 of 85
    shaminoshamino Posts: 527member
    tundraboy said:
    Headline is inaccurate. The headphones did not explode. The batteries did.
    That's a critical piece of information that this article failed to mention.  Since you mentioned it, I did a Google search and found that I believe to be the original article from when the incident actually happened: http://www.atsb.gov.au/newsroom/news-items/2017/battery-explosion-mid-flight/

They clearly state that the batteries are what exploded.  In which case, I agree - Apple has nothing to do with this.  And it has nothing to do with "approved" brands.  Most batteries - even no-name ones - don't explode.  The fact that these did means that they were manufactured very poorly.

They are the ones who need to be sued, but (as another reader pointed out) it may be impossible if they are a fly-by-night operation in a foreign country.
    StrangeDaysStrangeDayspscooter63boredumb
  • Reply 23 of 85
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Soli said:
    They used to sell batteries
    Apple MC500LL/A Battery Charger with six NiMH batteries https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003XIJ566/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_nIYhzbT1VCTQW
    Did they stop selling those for their keyboard and trackpad? Note those are AA, so they won't work in these headphones.
    Yes they did...you can still get them at some places like Staples, but not directly from Apple. I believe they're basically rebranded Eneloops. Pretty good batteries. I have 2 sets of them. 
    Solidysamoria
  • Reply 24 of 85
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    genovelle said:
    Ironhead said:
    So sue the battery company, which is strangely not called out in the article.
    That is odd..
    You must be new to Apple news. Everything is Apple's fault in tech sites. Even what happens at 3rd party manufacturers like Foxconn. 
    pscooter63
  • Reply 25 of 85
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    macxpress said:
    Soli said:
    Apple MC500LL/A Battery Charger with six NiMH batteries https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003XIJ566/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_nIYhzbT1VCTQW
    Did they stop selling those for their keyboard and trackpad? Note those are AA, so they won't work in these headphones.
    Yes they did...you can still get them at some places like Staples, but not directly from Apple. I believe they're basically rebranded Eneloops. Pretty good batteries. I have 2 sets of them. 
    I had their batteries and charger when I had an iMac, but I sold it with the Mac. I now use Eneloop, but it's not pretty since there are several generations so the cost varies from the older and newer generation, and frankly I'm not sure if it's really worth getting the new gen.
  • Reply 26 of 85
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    sflocal said:
    While I'm totally on Apple's side on this, I'm curious what Apple's recommendation would have been.  If Apple is blaming 3rd-party batteries, does Apple provide Apple-branded AAA batteries?

This is the problem with mixing and matching stuff.  I would not hesitate to buy a pack of batteries from Duracell, Energizer, or Enloops to use in my electronics.  And if they explode, I certainly would not be blaming Apple for it.  I wonder if her lawyers went after the battery manufacturer or just decided that suing Apple is an easier (although highly unsuccessful) 3rd party.

Can trust anything from anyone anymore.
    Apple does not and should not recommend a manufacturer. They're only saying the investigation pointed to batteries that were not supplied with the device.
    mike1
  • Reply 27 of 85
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    Soli said:

2) Has anyone else jumped from disposable batteries to only using Eneloop (or similar rechargeable batteries) for all their needs. I only need AA, AAA, and a few 9-Volts these days. They last considerably longer than disposable batteries and my math says it'll reduce both my cost and waste.
    Your math is correct.
    I've transitioned from disposable to NiMH and Lithium Ion for all my AA, AAA and 9volt needs (18650 too).
    It's great, buy them once and that's it for the next 5-10 years.  One does have to keep a few chargers around, but that beats throwing away 50-100 batteries a year.
    pscooter63Soli
  • Reply 28 of 85
    How is that picture a woman?!
    Remember that it's 2017 and Bruce Jenner is now a woman.
  • Reply 29 of 85
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Soli said:
    2) Has anyone else jumped from disposable batteries to only using Eneloop (or similar rechargeable batteries) for all their needs. I only need AA, AAA, and a few 9-Volts these days. They last considerably longer than disposable batteries and my math says it'll reduce both my cost and waste.
    I went 100% Eneloop about three years ago.  My wife likes those flickering "candles" that work on a 24-hour cycle, and eat batteries regularly; so I bought enough to keep about half a set aside in rotation.

The chargers and batteries are great, I would never go back to disposables for any device.  Shelf life and and available power exceed brand-name alkalines.  Definitely worth the initial expense (Costco has good deals in-store regularly).

Having said that, the Eneloop C- and D-adapters can be a little fussy... a seasonal toy that needed C's was a tighter fit than "normal" C batteries.
    edited May 2017 Solibaconstang
  • Reply 30 of 85
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    ireland said:
    How is that picture a woman?!
    Because it's a woman with a black face from the AAA battery explosion.
    At first glance it looked like a beard!
  • Reply 31 of 85
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Soli said:
    1) To me, the title and article make it sound like Apple is blaming the customer on having used 3rd-party batteries at all, but that's silly since Apple doesn't make AAA.

Haven't bought alkalines in many years. People don't get that even aside from recharging they (or at least used to) last a helluva lot longer. 
    Soli
  • Reply 32 of 85
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    sflocal said:
    While I'm totally on Apple's side on this, I'm curious what Apple's recommendation would have been.  If Apple is blaming 3rd-party batteries, does Apple provide Apple-branded AAA batteries?

This is the problem with mixing and matching stuff.  I would not hesitate to buy a pack of batteries from Duracell, Energizer, or Enloops to use in my electronics.  And if they explode, I certainly would not be blaming Apple for it.  I wonder if her lawyers went after the battery manufacturer or just decided that suing Apple is an easier (although highly unsuccessful) 3rd party.

Can trust anything from anyone anymore.
    Not blaming the use of 3rd-party batteries, but these particular batteries. Who knows what they were.
  • Reply 33 of 85
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    tundraboy said:
    Headline is inaccurate. The headphones did not explode. The batteries did.
    The headline may be technically inaccurate but I think it is nevertheless fine. Headlines need to be compact and sometimes you need to cut things out. This would possibly be better:

"Apple blames Beats headphones battery explosion on third-party batteries"

While being more accurate it raises other issues like repetition and redundancy.

It's also true that headlines grab your attention so this:

"Apple blames Beats headphones incident on third-party batteries"

Turns out to be less attention grabbing and too vague.

I think that the title looks, fits and feels better just as it is even if the reader has to interpret it.

A similar thing happens with 'LCD Displays'. No one bats an eyelid at that.
  • Reply 34 of 85
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Yes, but they were AA batteries I believe.  I don't think the charger even worked for AAA, but I don't have them around right now to confirm that.
  • Reply 35 of 85
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Their latest keyboards/mice/trackpads are rechargeable.  I assume they stopped selling the rechargeable AA batteries now.
    Soli said:
    dysamoria
  • Reply 36 of 85
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    jkichline said:
    Yes, but they were AA batteries I believe.  I don't think the charger even worked for AAA, but I don't have them around right now to confirm that.
    No it only works for AA batteries. 
  • Reply 37 of 85
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    jkichline said:
    Their latest keyboards/mice/trackpads are rechargeable.  I assume they stopped selling the rechargeable AA batteries now.
    Soli said:
    Oh yeah! That makes sense.
  • Reply 38 of 85
    sgordonsgordon Posts: 53member
    oas far as i know almost all products that take regular batteries are designed to work with either non rechargeable or rechargeable batteries knowing that there is a difference in voltage (1.5v vs 1.2v) and certainly if you put the wrong ones in worst case is just doesn't work... so apple is being ridiculous if it is saying that she should not have used 3rd party batteries... you don't want people to use  non apple batteries then like my camera use a different shape or like why iPhone don't allow battery change.  if you design your headphones to support standard shape then assume people will use standard batteries of that specification.  now, that said, the question is whether the battery blew up due to a headset problem or a battery problem, either is possible, and apple and the battery manufacturer should work together to figure out which... 
  • Reply 39 of 85
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Soli said:
    1) To me, the title and article make it sound like Apple is blaming the customer on having used 3rd-party batteries at all, but that's silly since Apple doesn't make AAA.

I only use rechargeable batteries, everybody should!
  • Reply 40 of 85
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    NY1822 said:
    do you want money for the facial burns and hair loss? "No, just a new pair of headphones and a replacement t-shirt"
    Exactly. The fact that these lawyers are only looking for replacement headphones and clothes actually makes them more suspicious than typical lawyers.