Presentation slide again suggests 'iPhone 8' Touch ID sensor on rear of device

Posted:
in iPhone
A photograph of a PowerPoint presentation suggests that the "iPhone 8" Touch ID sensor module cutout is on the back of the screen -- shedding some doubt on recent mockups and illustrations putting it underneath the display glass.

A picture posted to Slashleaks over the weekend harkens back to the previous alleged location of the sensor, about a centimeter beneath the Apple logo on the back of the case. The slide is dated March 3.

The provenance of the image is unclear, and the Slashleaks community surrounding the leaked photo does not think highly of its authenticity.

Another oddity from the image is the location of the camera flash. While the vertical camera orientation remains, there appears to be a case cutout for the flash underneath the module, as opposed to embedded between the two camera lenses.

More recent diagrams and mockups suggest that there is no penetration on the back of the case for Touch ID.

Obviously, at this point, nothing can be "confirmed" regarding the authenticity of this, or any other specific "iPhone 8" detail. The feature-rich "iPhone 8" is expected to launch alongside an "iPhone 7s" and "iPhone 7s Plus" in the fall.

The "iPhone 8" is predicted to sport an edge-to-edge OLED panel with a 5.1-inch user space -- the rest dedicated to virtual buttons. Slimming or removing the bezels would allow Apple to cram a larger battery into a form factor similar in size to the 4.7-inch iPhone 7. Also expected is a new 3D facial scanner .

With a complete redesign, plus the inclusion of a 2.5D curved glass back with wireless charging, some reports have pegged the starting price of the "iPhone 8" at more than $1,000.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    Real or fake, I'm wondering why the article doesn't speculate on that rear circular cutout being for wireless charging rather than Touch ID. Perhaps I'm missing something.
    randominternetpersonpetelpMetriacanthosaurus1983cornchipRayz2016
  • Reply 2 of 45
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    It could also be that they have two designs, in case the more optimistic one with TouchID under the glass front doesn't work, but they want the entire front for a screen.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    mobius said:
    Real or fake, I'm wondering why the article doesn't speculate on that rear circular cutout being for wireless charging rather than Touch ID. Perhaps I'm missing something.
    Because there's no need for there to be a case cutout for any internal coil.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 4 of 45
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    mobius said:
    I hope your right. I unlock my device all the time when it's laying flat. Unlocking it from the front with your thumb is so much more natural than from the back. If Touch ID is on the rear of the device then I'm not upgrading and hopefully in 2018 they'll have front facing Touch ID figured out.
    irelandRayz2016
  • Reply 5 of 45
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    There might need to be a plastic section to improve power transfer above the coil. 
  • Reply 6 of 45
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    I doubt Apple will change its iconic location to a location that confirms Android phones had it right all along.
    clemynxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 45
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member
    I think, Samsung already seen iPhone 8 prototype, but dont know if the backs is Touch ID or Wireless Charging. they go for fingerprints on the back for wild guess.
    macpluspluswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 45
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    LOL. Makes absolutely no sense to hide the fingerprint reader in the back. Not gonna happen (not with Apple, anyway).
    pscooter63michasamirelandwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 45
    78Bandit78Bandit Posts: 238member
    I doubt Apple will change its iconic location to a location that confirms Android phones had it right all along.
    It won't be right, but it may be all that is technically capable for now. Sometimes even Apple has to deal with tech limitations and they probably believe the full-screen display is needed to remain competitive even if the sensor has to be relocated to the back. Can you imagine a fourth year with the flagship looking substantially identical to the iPhone 6 when others are showing off gorgeous large displays with extremely small bezels. I have no doubt once production yields on the under-display sensor reach an acceptable level Apple and other manufacturers will move the fingerprint reader back to the front.
  • Reply 10 of 45
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Touch ID on a back? I guess it's a win-win for Apple.
    No supply issues, no lines in stores either.
    ksecneo-techclemynxmichasamradarthekatirelandcornchip
  • Reply 11 of 45
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    Why are we being subjected to this hogwash, its just taking space where real news should be, why on Earth would any official Apple presentation be Power Point ? From that picture that's not even the latest Windows version,
    radarthekatirelandwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 45
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    mobius said:
    There is. If the case is made of aluminum.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Try touching the back of your phone with your thumb. Clunky.
  • Reply 14 of 45
    TouchID in the display, or there won't be an OLED display. There is one and only one reason Apple would adopt OLED in the iPhone: the extra space it provides to embed a TouchID layer. If TouchID moves to the back then there is no reason to continue with OLED because the thickness that introduces cannot be offset by OLED.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    holyone said:
    Why are we being subjected to this hogwash, its just taking space where real news should be, why on Earth would any official Apple presentation be Power Point ? From that picture that's not even the latest Windows version,
    What gives you the idea this is official Apple presentation? It's probably just some manufacturer's old copy of Powerpoint that they use to lay out machine specs at the factory. That iPhone image with the sensor on the back is just as likely scraped off of an Apple rumor site as it is a legitimate image leak.
  • Reply 16 of 45
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    It is already annoying how sensitive the home button in regards to touch ID, rear placement will make this worse. My bet is this will not happen. Reviews of the new Sammy's mention how awkward rear placement is.
    ireland
  • Reply 17 of 45
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    mobius said:
    Not since 2015.

• Reply 18 of 45
    mobius said:
    Not since 2015.

That charging pad requires... a desk. Its size is multiples of an iPhone's.
    edited May 2017 ireland
  • Reply 19 of 45
    redraider11redraider11 Posts: 186member
    Could be an iPhone "7S" that they'll release along with the "X" model with the fancy new tech to justify the price increase and long lead times. 
  • Reply 20 of 45
    petelppetelp Posts: 7member
    mobius said:
    Not since 2015.

That charging pad requires... a desk. Its size is multiples of an iPhone's.
    That's wrong. 

A larger device IS required for distance charging which apple may or may not have, but the vast majority of rumors already point out that apple will absolutely have a simpler form of charging (such as Q1) in addition to any inclusion of distance charging. 

In confirmation of this, its already public knowledge that apple has recently joined the Q1 consortium.

They would need Q1 in addition to distance charging (if they do in fact have distance charging) because

- 1) the customer peripherals supporting Q1 are very cheap, very small, very convenient
    - 2) distance charging peripherals are very big, and they're expensive,
    - 3) convenient Q1 charging needs to be available in many locations for every owner, such as multiple rooms in the home, the car, work, travel, and for smaller battery packs.
    - 4) Having Q1 AND distance charging will assure that all customers can immediately start using Q1 for the vast majority of their needs.

If they do have distance charging they will still have Q1 and they should.