The Netherlands gain more mass transit details in Apple Maps

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple has expanded its mass transit information to the Netherlands, with the full set of data involving stations, tracks, and other stations coming online on early Saturday morning -- but live train and bus data is not yet available.

First spotted by iPhoned, the latest update adds "train, tram, and metro stations" in the app for larger Dutch cities. It is unclear if or when the live data will be added, but the publication speculates that it will likely be added before June's WWDC.

In the last month, Apple has added public transit information for Adelaide, Australia; Paris, France; and Singapore.

Despite recent expansion, the majority of Apple's mass-transit data centers around the company's critical U.S., U.K., and China markets.

Transit directions were briefly stripped out of iOS starting with iOS 6 in 2012, when Apple decided to purge all Google Maps content. The feature was restored three years later with the launch of iOS 9, and has gradually added cities while implementing features like bike and electric vehicle charging stations.

Apple is expected to release iOS 11 at the June WWDC, with rumors suggesting that indoor mapping and enhanced car navigation will be added, as well as more regular content updates by way of drone imagery.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Being a Dutchman, I am very pleased with this. However, much more useful would be, if Apple Maps, like Google Maps, would also be able to calculate and show bicycle navigation. However, given the complexity of Mass Transport information, I guess that would be a piece of cake.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I have not yet had the need to use any transit features. Sorry to be naive but what is "live train and bus data"? I'm guessing it is the ability to tell me when my exact train or bus will be arriving at my stop (for instance), but I'm not sure. If that is the case, how does Apple or whoever obtain that information?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Do we have downloadable offline maps in Apple Maps yet?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 529member
    "...briefly stripped out..."? Ha! For many cities it's still missing since 2012. To be honest I never even try Apple Maps for transit info and always use Google. 
  • Reply 5 of 6
    alexmacalexmac Posts: 49member
    I have not yet had the need to use any transit features. Sorry to be naive but what is "live train and bus data"? I'm guessing it is the ability to tell me when my exact train or bus will be arriving at my stop (for instance), but I'm not sure. If that is the case, how does Apple or whoever obtain that information?
    Well i guess in all the countries is the same, all the buses and trains carry a GPS and the info is available on-line in the official public transit web page. I'll bet they get the info from them.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I have no idea how it works, but it does work. My iPhone will tell me when the next bus is due at the stop near my house. What it won't do is warn you that you're about to run into lamppost while racing for the bus. 

The bus stops in our town have displays telling you when the next three buses are due, so I imagine Apple is picking up the info from the same place.