Presentation slide again suggests 'iPhone 8' Touch ID sensor on rear of device

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    wigby said:
    holyone said:
    Why are we being subjected to this hogwash, its just taking space where real news should be, why on Earth would any official Apple presentation be Power Point ? From that picture that's not even the latest Windows version,
    What gives you the idea this is official Apple presentation? It's probably just some manufacturer's old copy of Powerpoint that they use to lay out machine specs at the factory. That iPhone image with the sensor on the back is just as likely scraped off of an Apple rumor site as it is a legitimate image leak.
    You must have not correctly understood my coment, I never said this was official, in fact that's exactly what I'm criticizing with this article, the power point element should ring suspect to any one who knows Apple, the fuss they put into every thing they do, they'd never let windows any thing be use or be involved in any part of a product's development /presentation or what ever that thing is suppose to be, What is this presentation suppose to be of and for who, good questions to ask, this is there for likely fake and we endure enough crap as it is on the net, did we all really need to see this, where is the quality control ? if there's nothing worth reporting let there be no reporting, that's all Im saying.

It is curious how ever that when the 7+ dual cams were introduced someone here wished that Apple eventually bring them to the smaller model, some however were quick to shoot that concept down crying to the smaller internal space, and how Apple would never be able to fit two cameras in that shell, yet no one has a problem with it now, interesting
  • Reply 22 of 45
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mobius said:
    Real or fake, I'm wondering why the article doesn't speculate on that rear circular cutout being for wireless charging rather than Touch ID. Perhaps I'm missing something.
    I hope your right. I unlock my device all the time when it's laying flat. Unlocking it from the front with your thumb is so much more natural than from the back. If Touch ID is on the rear of the device then I'm not upgrading and hopefully in 2018 they'll have front facing Touch ID figured out.
    If that's the case, and you want a new iPhone this year then get an iPhone 7S series, not an iPhone 8.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    A fingerprint sensor on the back has always seemed clumsy. I hope we're only getting partial data because this is all sounding like Apple is acting like most other CE companies where they throw crap at a wall to see what sticks. That's very un-Apple-like, so my instinct is that this is not the case.
    petelpireland
  • Reply 24 of 45
    mobius said:
    Real or fake, I'm wondering why the article doesn't speculate on that rear circular cutout being for wireless charging rather than Touch ID. Perhaps I'm missing something.
    Yes, what you're missing is that the rumor mill has absolutely NOTHING interesting to say about WWDC despite it being in 2 weeks, NOTHING but rehashed details about iPhone 8, and otherwise NOTHING.

This faux controversy over Touch ID they continue to perpetrate despite there being no actual evidence for it, is all they really have as clickbait this year. 

Touch ID isn't going to be on the back of iPhone, and everyone knows this.
    StrangeDaysireland
  • Reply 25 of 45

mobius said:
    Because there's no need for there to be a case cutout for any internal coil.
    Nope, that's not "why".
  • Reply 26 of 45
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    This would be a bigger design problem than the protruding camera.
    It's a definite no no.
    ireland
  • Reply 27 of 45
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    After looking at the slide again, it seems like the little dot under the camera and the circle under the logo are not part of the cutouts. The arrows only point to the frame, logo, and camera. The other two items must be mold grips or thinned out areas, otherwise they would've been clearly identified.
    ireland
  • Reply 28 of 45
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I'd very nearly bet my life we won't see Touch ID on the rear of iPhone 8. If we do I'll have serious doubts about Ive and company. More likely, that's the wireless charging sensor on the rear for maximum signal through all kinds of phone case materials and thicknesses.
    edited May 2017 radarthekatmobius
  • Reply 29 of 45
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    Truth be told, even on the front of the device, the Touch ID location is a bit awkward: when holding the phone with one hand, you have to bend your thumb awkwardly, and touch it with the side of your thumb. Or you can use your other hand's index finger. When holding the phone with one hand, it's better for it to be on the back. When laying flat, it's better to be on the front. Maybe it will be on the back, and for the front, you can unlock with your face via the camera.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    jcdinkinsjcdinkins Posts: 114member
    AI_lias said:
    Truth be told, even on the front of the device, the Touch ID location is a bit awkward: when holding the phone with one hand, you have to bend your thumb awkwardly, and touch it with the side of your thumb. Or you can use your other hand's index finger. When holding the phone with one hand, it's better for it to be on the back. When laying flat, it's better to be on the front. Maybe it will be on the back, and for the front, you can unlock with your face via the camera.
    True.  I've almost dropped my phone before just trying to use touch id because such a large portion of it is not in my grasp at that point.  I guess I could be holding it wrong.  :)
  • Reply 31 of 45
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    AI_lias said:
    Yes. Scanner placement is a question of preference. Nothing more. Both on the front and on the back there are better or worse placements for it.

Having used both extensively, I prefer the back and recessed placement much more than the front.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    mobius said:
    I hope your right. I unlock my device all the time when it's laying flat. Unlocking it from the front with your thumb is so much more natural than from the back. If Touch ID is on the rear of the device then I'm not upgrading and hopefully in 2018 they'll have front facing Touch ID figured out.
    Yes, if Apple are doing an Android and putting Touch ID on the back, I'm out.
    ireland
  • Reply 33 of 45
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    petelp said:
    mobius said:
    There is. If the case is made of aluminum.
    Not since 2015.

That charging pad requires... a desk. Its size is multiples of an iPhone's.
    That's wrong. 

A larger device IS required for distance charging which apple may or may not have, but the vast majority of rumors already point out that apple will absolutely have a simpler form of charging (such as Q1) in addition to any inclusion of distance charging. 

In confirmation of this, its already public knowledge that apple has recently joined the Q1 consortium.

They would need Q1 in addition to distance charging (if they do in fact have distance charging) because

- 1) the customer peripherals supporting Q1 are very cheap, very small, very convenient
    - 2) distance charging peripherals are very big, and they're expensive,
    - 3) convenient Q1 charging needs to be available in many locations for every owner, such as multiple rooms in the home, the car, work, travel, and for smaller battery packs.
    - 4) Having Q1 AND distance charging will assure that all customers can immediately start using Q1 for the vast majority of their needs.

If they do have distance charging they will still have Q1 and they should. 
    I meant Qualcomm's wireless charging pad, not Apple's. I know how Apple makes a charging pad, I use it on my Apple Watch. Maybe you are trying to explain what's wrong with Qualcomm's charging pad?
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 34 of 45
    I doubt Apple will change its iconic location to a location that confirms Android phones had it right all along.
    That wouldn't a good reason to not put it on the back. A better reason is it's a completely unintuitive and dumd idea to have a fingerprint scanner on a rear of the product. Not to mention most people use a case and every case for this would need one of those ugly rear cutouts—so ugly and dumb.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 35 of 45
    78Bandit said:
    I doubt Apple will change its iconic location to a location that confirms Android phones had it right all along.
    It won't be right, but it may be all that is technically capable for now.
    I've an iPhone with Touch ID on the front.

If they cannot get Touch ID in the display they've three choices: keep the design as is, give the "full screen" phone a chin with Touch ID or succeed Touch ID with another security unlocking measure. My assumption is the phone will have on-display Touch ID and the entire front is screen, unlike the S8—where the entire front is not display; the S8 has both a chin and a forehead. If Apple released a phone with such a design I'd be disgusted. Surely I've and co can come up with a way to make the front entirely display.

If Apple release a phone with rear Touch ID I'll literally hurl. There's no way in hell that'll ever happen and if it did I'd sell your stock.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 36 of 45
    Putting Touch ID on the rear of an iPhone would only confirm Apple were drunk.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    petelp said:
    mobius said:
    There is. If the case is made of aluminum.
    Not since 2015.

That charging pad requires... a desk. Its size is multiples of an iPhone's.
    That's wrong. 

A larger device IS required for distance charging which apple may or may not have, but the vast majority of rumors already point out that apple will absolutely have a simpler form of charging (such as Q1) in addition to any inclusion of distance charging. 

In confirmation of this, its already public knowledge that apple has recently joined the Q1 consortium.

They would need Q1 in addition to distance charging (if they do in fact have distance charging) because

- 1) the customer peripherals supporting Q1 are very cheap, very small, very convenient
    - 2) distance charging peripherals are very big, and they're expensive,
    - 3) convenient Q1 charging needs to be available in many locations for every owner, such as multiple rooms in the home, the car, work, travel, and for smaller battery packs.
    - 4) Having Q1 AND distance charging will assure that all customers can immediately start using Q1 for the vast majority of their needs.

If they do have distance charging they will still have Q1 and they should. 
    I'd bet money if it has Q1 it'll have no distance charging and if it hasn't Q1 it'll have no wireless or inductive charging at all.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    fmalloyfmalloy Posts: 105member
    78Bandit said:
    Sometimes even Apple has to deal with tech limitations
    Sorry, but this is Apple - the highest valued corporation in history, great innovations are expected. If they're going to start using common excuses then their stock price needs a steep correction and they can't justify their spaceship shrine to their wealth.
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 39 of 45
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

mobius said:
    Nope, that's not "why".
    Being that I wrote the story, I can tell you with authority that is exactly why the story didn't speculate as that being the reason for the cutout.
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 40 of 45
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    78Bandit said:
    It won't be right, but it may be all that is technically capable for now. Sometimes even Apple has to deal with tech limitations and they probably believe the full-screen display is needed to remain competitive even if the sensor has to be relocated to the back. Can you imagine a fourth year with the flagship looking substantially identical to the iPhone 6 when others are showing off gorgeous large displays with extremely small bezels. I have no doubt once production yields on the under-display sensor reach an acceptable level Apple and other manufacturers will move the fingerprint reader back to the front.
    If Apple introduces other sensors, improved camera capabilities and other minor improvements, everything will be fine. Small bezels means you've got more glass exposed, which means more potential for broken screens. I don't buy the design for design's sake argument that Samsung is making.