New Apple ads & redone 'Switch' site sell Android users on iPhone perks

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    calicali Posts: 3,494member

gatorguy said:
    cali said:
    Finally they flaunt privacy. Most android morons think their knockoff iPhones are just as secure.

Define 'popular.'  If that means 'handsets chosen based upon cost mostly by those who can't afford an iPhone,' then yeah, Android phones, in aggregate, are definitely more popular than iPhones.  Sure.

Everyone wants iPhone. Not everyone can have one.

Privacy and security are not the same thing. Android is VERY secure. Privacy in the Google version perhaps not so much. With that said privacy is not really the issue some of us would like it to be. Most folks simply don't care all that much, as evidenced by billions of Facebook visits every day where people spill their guts about family, illness, friends, special events and places and often to complete strangers. 
    There's nothing private about having a monopoly on data mining and malware.
    watto_cobralostkiwipropod
  • Reply 22 of 60
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    gatorguy said:
    kevin kee said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    cali said:
    Finally they flaunt privacy. Most android morons think their knockoff iPhones are just as secure.

Define 'popular.'  If that means 'handsets chosen based upon cost mostly by those who can't afford an iPhone,' then yeah, Android phones, in aggregate, are definitely more popular than iPhones.  Sure.

Privacy and security are not the same thing. Android is VERY secure. Privacy in the Google version perhaps not so much. With that said privacy is not really the issue some of us would like it to be. Most folks simply don't care all that much, as evidenced by billions of Facebook visits every day where people spill their guts about family, illness, friends, special events and places and often to complete strangers. 

Android will never be as secure as iOS. This is a fact that will never change despite you claiming otherwise.
    That does not mean Android is not VERY secure. Your second sentence is quite odd as it's not something I've claimed is it? 
    It does mean Android is not VERY secure, although perhaps you meant Android is VERY not secure - in that case I agree with you.
    Then you should familiarize yourself with it a bit more rather than depending on "what someone said on a web blog".  Then we could actually have an intelligent and polite discussion about it. 
    By implying I am not capable of having an intelligent and polite discussion and then I am depending on "what someone said on a web  blog", you are attacking personally. There are two logical responds I can do, reporting you for personal attack or click the "ignore" button.
    watto_cobrafirelock
  • Reply 23 of 60
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    cali said:

gatorguy said:
    cali said:

See? Now we agree. Privacy is one thing and security another. We do care about security, but a whole lot less about privacy. 
  • Reply 24 of 60
    kevin kee said:
    I think the messaging is great, but the content and tone seem like a mismatch. I think these ads would appeal more to people who are already Apple users, rather than potential switchers. Maybe Apple has some market research that says otherwise though.
    I thought it's pretty obvious. They are definitely for switchers - although not for nerds who own multiple latest phones. They aim more for house wife, teenagers, aunties, grandparents, people who have life outside of technology, people who scare of losing photos and their music if they switch, people who fed up with the slowness of Android, people who concern about privacy, etc. 
    Obviously they're for switchers, but at the risk of repeating myself, I think those ads would appeal more to current iphone owners than current android owners, which, of course, is counterproductive. Apple is already the perfect platform for the groups you mentioned due to the ease of use; so if they haven't switched yet, they will eventually, ad or no ad.

At this point in the game I would think most people have chosen a side, rather that the default phone pushed by the phone store salesperson. I would think that at some point, the majority of current android users deliberately chose android because they bought into one myth or another about Apple, or are just anit-Apple. Those myths/sentiments are typically based around Apple being too simple and not making a 'serious' phone (this is what people actually believe). It seems to me that the light, airy tone of those commercials would only reinforce those myths. These commercials seem a bit tone deaf, in that sense. Android owners would feel patronized by those ads. I'm confident in saying that. Well, very confident actually, because what I'm saying applies to every single android owner I've ever engaged in conversation about this topic.

I don't know why Apple seems a bit tone deaf about this. But again, maybe they have info I don't and these ads are actually great. Or, maybe I'm right and these ads are duds. But I hope that if I'm right, Apple adjusts their advertising strategy.
  • Reply 25 of 60
    saltyzip said:
    Wouldn't life be boring if everyone used an iPhone.
    We're already in that world. Everything is based off the original iPhone now.

if you don't like it get a flip phone.
    watto_cobraRayz2016radarthekat
  • Reply 26 of 60
    cali said:

False. Not EVERYONE wants an iPhone. You do, I do, others on this forum do. Far from everyone through. 
    Then why does iPhone rule the premium market? Why does everyone below that own knockoff versions?

dont kid yourself.
    watto_cobraradarthekat
  • Reply 27 of 60
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    cali said:
    cali said:

False. Not EVERYONE wants an iPhone. You do, I do, others on this forum do. Far from everyone through. 
    Then why does iPhone rule the premium market? Why does everyone below that own knockoff versions?

dont kid yourself.
    iPhone rules "premium" market means everyone wants an iPhone? I could name at least 5 people I know who can afford an iPhone but don't want one. Stop with the fake news and snobbery. 
  • Reply 28 of 60
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    kevin kee said:
    I think the messaging is great, but the content and tone seem like a mismatch. I think these ads would appeal more to people who are already Apple users, rather than potential switchers. Maybe Apple has some market research that says otherwise though.
    I thought it's pretty obvious. They are definitely for switchers - although not for nerds who own multiple latest phones. They aim more for house wife, teenagers, aunties, grandparents, people who have life outside of technology, people who scare of losing photos and their music if they switch, people who fed up with the slowness of Android, people who concern about privacy, etc. 
    Obviously they're for switchers, but at the risk of repeating myself, I think those ads would appeal more to current iphone owners than current android owners, which, of course, is counterproductive. Apple is already the perfect platform for the groups you mentioned due to the ease of use; so if they haven't switched yet, they will eventually, ad or no ad.

At this point in the game I would think most people have chosen a side, rather that the default phone pushed by the phone store salesperson. I would think that at some point, the majority of current android users deliberately chose android because they bought into one myth or another about Apple, or are just anit-Apple. Those myths/sentiments are typically based around Apple being too simple and not making a 'serious' phone (this is what people actually believe). It seems to me that the light, airy tone of those commercials would only reinforce those myths. These commercials seem a bit tone deaf, in that sense. Android owners would feel patronized by those ads. I'm confident in saying that. Well, very confident actually, because what I'm saying applies to every single android owner I've ever engaged in conversation about this topic.

I don't know why Apple seems a bit tone deaf about this. But again, maybe they have info I don't and these ads are actually great. Or, maybe I'm right and these ads are duds. But I hope that if I'm right, Apple adjusts their advertising strategy.
    Or it could be that someone just prefers Android software or Android OEM hardware. Just sayin'.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 29 of 60
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    cali said:
    cali said:

dont kid yourself.
    Your statement is illogical. I know plenty of people with more than enough disposable income that prefer Android (and Windows), as well as countless other CE not made by Apple. These aren't necessarily cheap products, they're not necessarily inexpensive products, and they don't necessarily hate Apple.
    gatorguyavon b7
  • Reply 30 of 60
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    saltyzip said:
    Yeah we wouldn't have the seasonal influx of haters and trolls. Then what would we do?
  • Reply 31 of 60
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    saltyzip said:
    If your worried about privacy why do people use cards for payments and store money in banks, all that info has been used for tracking what you have been up to for donkeys years and of course something useful like credit checks.

Apple pay and other variants is just another door into people's lives to see what they are buying and where from.
    Ignorant nonsense. Retailers can't use the one-time-use tokens to track you, and Apple doesn't track you either. So cite whatever it is you're pretending is fact, please. 

Also, suggesting that if you value privacy you can't use banks is a fallacy of false dilemma. 
  • Reply 32 of 60
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Coworker procured a Samdung last week. I asked why, and she said, "I hate Apple!" I asked why, and she said, "Some of their stuff drives me crazy." I asked what, and she said constantly having to reenter password while downloading apps, and that she threw her iPhone across the room. (Later query revealed the phone to be a 4.) I whipped out my (careless) 5S and noted that Touch ID rendered that moot long ago. (A while later, I remembered [and told her] that she could have also adjusted the password requirement in Settings.)

A lot of people don't know/care. My boss thinks his Samdung has the ultimate camera, and that he "just lucked into it."
    Wow. She sounds like she has anger issues. 
  • Reply 33 of 60
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Coworker procured a Samdung last week. I asked why, and she said, "I hate Apple!" I asked why, and she said, "Some of their stuff drives me crazy." I asked what, and she said constantly having to reenter password while downloading apps, and that she threw her iPhone across the room. (Later query revealed the phone to be a 4.) I whipped out my (careless) 5S and noted that Touch ID rendered that moot long ago. (A while later, I remembered [and told her] that she could have also adjusted the password requirement in Settings.)

A lot of people don't know/care. My boss thinks his Samdung has the ultimate camera, and that he "just lucked into it."
    Wow. She sounds like she has anger issues. 
    Seriously! Who throws a device? I wouldn't be surprised if she's the woman in the following set of texts.

• Reply 34 of 60
    I thought these were great ads. Short, punch and to the point. 

The privacy one was the best though. 
  • Reply 35 of 60
    saltyzip said:
    Yes, but not quite as boring, it seems,  as folk who show up on line to flaunt their ignorance. 
    Solichia
  • Reply 36 of 60
    cali said:
    cali said:

dont kid yourself.
    iPhone rules "premium" market means everyone wants an iPhone? I could name at least 5 people I know who can afford an iPhone but don't want one. Stop with the fake news and snobbery. 
    I think folk are taking what he said literally just to score a forum win. That's a bit sad. 

I would've have simply said that Samsung's premium phones cost the same as Apple's top-flight iPhone, which indicates that folk are buying Android phones for reasons other than price. The fact that they recovered from that 'exploding phone' thing in pretty short order also points to a loyal customer base. 

However, Samsung Mobile's profits also indicate that high-end buyers don't form the bulk of their customers. 

edited May 2017 Soli
  • Reply 37 of 60
    Give iOS a file manager and the Android fanboys will switch in a heartbeat.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 38 of 60

Another nice thing is that they keep you from having to share your CC number when you pay for something, so if the merchant gets hacked at some point, all the hacker could get is a one-off transaction code that is useless.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203027

Here's the thing- ApplePay uses DEBIT transactions, which are financial institution-to-institution in nature, and cheaper to process.  Bank Debit is why Apple is able to keep a percentage of every ApplePay transaction. 

To compare, when a purchase is run as a VISA/MC transaction, by virtue of using those networks, customers have access to additional rights to dispute a charge as far as one year after the transaction occurred.  Ability to dispute a transaction after the sale can be helpful for many things including product quality reasons.   With Debit transactions, there is basically no recourse for the account holder once funds settle.  The exception is if a Debit Transaction qualifies as felony theft, and if the account holder wants to prosecute.  To prosecute, it needs to be over a threshold (set by each state) between $500 and $1000.  Then Law Enforcement will attempt to recover the funds instead of a bank.

For these reasons, I always opt to SIGN for purchases and never use pin-based DEBIT or ApplePay DEBIT transactions.  I realize a business may save 2 or 3% when running a transaction as debit, however their way of accepting my money serves no additional benefit to me as a customer.  I don't get any incentive or discount by waiving my rights to dispute a transaction or file a claim.

So I suppose ApplePay could be a great thing if I was the victim of identity theft several times or did business with a terrible banking institution who won't file, or take a fraud report on my behalf.   TouchID stops some fraud issues that my wife, or an unemployed teenager borrowing my credit card may create but when I learned ApplePay works like a Debit or PIN-Based Transaction, I got rid of it.  It doesn't add any value.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 39 of 60
    cali said:
    cali said:

dont kid yourself.

What are the "key features" that are expected to drive the "super cycle" for the next generation of iphones? Thinking through those "key features" would give a real truth about so called "everyone copying ONE and the ONLY OEM" myth in the world.
  • Reply 40 of 60
    cali said:

I'm really confused by your comment.  Have you read what OS the Boeing Black Phone runs?   FYI- This phone is made by Boeing for US Military application, and it runs Android.