Apple suppliers ramping up 10.5-inch iPad Pro production to hit 5-6M target for 2017

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    blastdoor said:
    slurpy said:
    I REALLY hope that Apple adds some iPad specific UI features to the next version of iOS. I know this may be blasphemy to some, but adding basic bluetooth touchbar/mouse support would be amazing. This can even be off by default and enabled in settings, but really the iPad is still a massive pain to use for things like wordprocessing or any kind of long term, fine editing. Touch just isn't ideal. I'm not saying turn this thing into a Surface, but even an API for mouse support that devs can add into their specific apps would be amazing. 
    I couldn't agree more.

Cue the (same old, same old) lame comments along the lines of, "but, but... it makes it a 2-in-1" (me: so f'in what?!) or "buy a Mac" (me: you know what you can do with your condescending advice).
    A well implemented 2-in-1 would meet that need. Apple's position seems to be that the best iPad is just an iPad and the best Mac is just a Mac. 
    Nope. It isn't a position. It is an absolute reality. Some people are just in denial about the fact that TOUCH and POINT-And-CLICK are two forks in the UI road. They lead to completely different products. 

Every single product on the market that attempts to ignore that is a miserable POS.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,520member
    blastdoor said:
    slurpy said:
    I REALLY hope that Apple adds some iPad specific UI features to the next version of iOS. I know this may be blasphemy to some, but adding basic bluetooth touchbar/mouse support would be amazing. This can even be off by default and enabled in settings, but really the iPad is still a massive pain to use for things like wordprocessing or any kind of long term, fine editing. Touch just isn't ideal. I'm not saying turn this thing into a Surface, but even an API for mouse support that devs can add into their specific apps would be amazing. 
    I couldn't agree more.

Cue the (same old, same old) lame comments along the lines of, "but, but... it makes it a 2-in-1" (me: so f'in what?!) or "buy a Mac" (me: you know what you can do with your condescending advice).
    A well implemented 2-in-1 would meet that need. Apple's position seems to be that the best iPad is just an iPad and the best Mac is just a Mac. 
    Nope. It isn't a position. It is an absolute reality. Some people are just in denial about the fact that TOUCH and POINT-And-CLICK are two forks in the UI road. They lead to completely different products. 

Every single product on the market that attempts to ignore that is a miserable POS.
    It's also an "absolute reality" that for many people carrying both a tablet and a laptop is a "miserable POS" experience. 

So, the options for portable computing in Apple-land are (ignoring iPhone for now):

1. Carry two devices. 
    2. Carry just a Mac
    3. Carry just an iPad
    4. Carry a device that switches modes between Mac and iPad. 

Nothing is perfect, all involve tradeoffs. 

Right now, #4 isn't an option. I personally choose option #3, some people choose #2, others choose #1

I'll bet a lot of people would choose #4 if it were available. 

• Reply 23 of 29
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,115member
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    slurpy said:
    I couldn't agree more.

It's also an "absolute reality" that for many people carrying both a tablet and a laptop is a "miserable POS" experience. 

So, the options for portable computing in Apple-land are (ignoring iPhone for now):

1. Carry two devices. 
    2. Carry just a Mac
    3. Carry just an iPad

Right now, #4 isn't an option. I personally choose option #3, some people choose #2, others choose #1

A Mac user would gladly carry two devices, there is nothing wrong with that. Why don't you consider these two devices as one device coupled by iCloud, Continuity, WiFi and Bluetooth LE? What is the point of your fetishism with old cabled/docked connection?
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 24 of 29
    DCJ0001DCJ0001 Posts: 63member
    macxpress said:
    Hey Apple here's a novel idea: include the 29w USB-C charger in the box. The fact that they don't do this with the 12.9" iPad is ridiculous.
    So you want USB-C charging?

• Reply 25 of 29
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,520member
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    slurpy said:
    I couldn't agree more.

1. Carry two devices. 
    2. Carry just a Mac
    3. Carry just an iPad

A Mac user would gladly carry two devices, there is nothing wrong with that. Why don't you consider these two devices as one device coupled by iCloud, Continuity, WiFi and Bluetooth LE? What is the point of your fetishism with old cabled/docked connection?
    13” iPad Pro weighs 1.5 pounds, costs $1000 with 256GB of storage
    12” MacBook weighs 2 pounds, costs $1300 with 256GB of storage and a very slow processor (1.1 GHz)
    13” MacBook Pro weighs 3 pounds, costs $1500 (no touch bar) with 256 GB of storage and a decent processor (2 GHz)

So, you can either spend $2300 and carry 3.5 pounds, but have a very slow computer
    or
    you can spend $2500 and carry 4.5 pounds, but have a decent performing computer

Compare that to the HP Spectre x360:
    13” 2.7 GHz processor 256 GB storage 2.9 pounds at $1200. 

So with the HP, you carry less weight, you spend about half as much, and you get a faster processor. The biggest downside (other than the fact that you have to run Windows) is the screen resolution is a bit lower than the Mac+iPad.

Now, I wouldn't personally want to buy the HP (or any other PC OEM product) because I prefer Apple's OS and ecosystem. However, this illustrates the advantage of a 2-in-1 device: weight, cost, and CPU speed. 

If Apple were to implement the 2-in-1 concept it could be far better than what HP (or anyone else) has done. Apple could use their own processors which would give them advantages with respect to performance, power, and cost. Apple could design better looking, better working hardware. Apple would use a better screen. Apple has the best point-and-click UI (macOS) and the best touch UI (iOS), so they could have the device switch between those two modes depending on how one is using the device. 

In short, Apple could make the best 2-in-1 on the market, and it would be very popular because the 2-in-1 does have some real advantages that matter to people in terms of cost and portability. 
  • Reply 26 of 29
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,115member
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    slurpy said:
    I couldn't agree more.

1. Carry two devices. 
    2. Carry just a Mac
    3. Carry just an iPad

12” MacBook weighs 2 pounds, costs $1300 with 256GB of storage and a very slow processor (1.1 GHz)
    13” MacBook Pro weighs 3 pounds, costs $1500 (no touch bar) with 256 GB of storage and a decent processor (2 GHz)

So, you can either spend $2300 and carry 3.5 pounds, but have a very slow computer
    or

So with the HP, you carry less weight, you spend about half as much, and you get a faster processor. The biggest downside (other than the fact that you have to run Windows) is the screen resolution is a bit lower than the Mac+iPad.

Now, I wouldn't personally want to buy the HP (or any other PC OEM product) because I prefer Apple's OS and ecosystem. However, this illustrates the advantage of a 2-in-1 device: weight, cost, and CPU speed. 

If Apple were to implement the 2-in-1 concept it could be far better than what HP (or anyone else) has done. Apple could use their own processors which would give them advantages with respect to performance, power, and cost. Apple could design better looking, better working hardware. Apple would use a better screen. Apple has the best point-and-click UI (macOS) and the best touch UI (iOS), so they could have the device switch between those two modes depending on how one is using the device. 

In short, Apple could make the best 2-in-1 on the market, and it would be very popular because the 2-in-1 does have some real advantages that matter to people in terms of cost and portability. 
    Mac users have already 2-in-1s with iPad+Macbook (Pro), 3-in-1s with the iPhone, even 4-in-1s with the Watch. All those four devices act as a single device thanks to advanced Apple technologies.

The man who had conceived those 2-in-1 PCs was stuck in the "docked connection" era and eventually he was fired from Microsoft for totally ignoring and missing the mobile age. Dock or not dock that is your problem.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    steveausteveau Posts: 302member
    On a vaguely related topic, anyone have any thoughts/speculation on anything new and different that the next iteration of the 12.9" might bring?
    I have my fingers and toes crossed that they will announce native handwriting recognition for MultiTouch iPad's. This will resolve the debate (see comments above) between those who want to do more detailed word processing/spreadsheet type work with their iPad's and are therefore clamouring for mouse support and other 2-in-1 (ugh!) capabilities, and those who say that this means that they should use a Mac, which is like a plumber telling a cabinet maker which chisel to use (guys, please respect that each of us knows our own requirements-to-do-the-job better than someone who's never actually met us). Clearly, native HWR would allow those who need a mobile device on which to do text and numbers (including fine editing of that input) to do so with an iPad Pro and those who don't need a mobile device, or who require more grunt or screen real estate etc. to use a Mac (or in my case both, and to seamlessly handoff between the two). So, even if you don't personally see the need for OS level HWR in iPadPro please support it anyway, because it will give other Apple users the power to be their best (RIP Steve).
    blastdoor
  • Reply 28 of 29
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    slurpy said:
    I couldn't agree more.

1. Carry two devices. 
    2. Carry just a Mac
    3. Carry just an iPad

or

Mac users have already 2-in-1s with iPad+Macbook (Pro), 3-in-1s with the iPhone, even 4-in-1s with the Watch. All those four devices act as a single device thanks to advanced Apple technologies.

The man who had conceived those 2-in-1 PCs was stuck in the "docked connection" era and eventually he was fired from Microsoft for totally ignoring and missing the mobile age. Dock or not dock that is your problem.
    Only the deluded could think of carrying 4 separate devices as carrying one device.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    Eric_WVGG said:

LMAO.

Because of all those USB-C chargers out there? LOL. Why do some people think that because the Mac has something, that this relates to iPhone in any way? Do you people know anything about the iPhone market at all?
    Were you one of those twits who thought Apple wouldn't abandon the audio jack, or lamented the death of the dock connector? Apple has always been pro-active about ditching old standards and bringing consumers the future, early.

"all those USB-C chargers out there LOL" You'll buy new USB-C chargers just like you bought Lightning peripherals. "LMAO"
    Obviously you understand next to nothing about this.