Microsoft unveils new Surface Pro ahead of Apple Mac & iPad Pro refreshes

Posted:
in General Discussion
At a Tuesday press event in Shanghai, Microsoft revealed the long-awaited fifth-generation Surface Pro, hoping to steal some thunder away from Apple ahead of Mac and iPad Pro refreshes that could come as soon as next month.

The new Surface uses a 12.3-inch PixelSense touch display rated at 267 pixels per inch, offering 50 percent more pixels than Apple's current 12-inch Retina MacBook, Microsoft claimed. Owners can even switch between sRGB and an "enhanced" color mode powered by technology called the PixelSense Accelerator.

The tablet comes in configurations with Intel Core m3, i5, or i7 processors, its i5 allegedly the first ever with fanless architecture. Performance-wise, the product is said to be up to 1.7 times faster than Apple's existing iPad Pros.

The company is also promising battery life up to 13.5 hours, 50 percent more than the Surface Pro 4, and 35 percent more than an iPad Pro. Apple has long stuck to a 10-hour target for Wi-Fi equipped iPads -- cellular Pros last up to 9 hours. Apple's 13-inch MacBook Pros also last up to 10 hours.

For touch controls Microsoft is offering compatibility with the Surface Dial, as well as an upgraded Surface Pen. The latter accessory has four times the pressure sensitivity of the original Pen, only 21 milliseconds of latency, and new tilt functions mirroring those on the Apple Pencil.

Microsoft is also updating a few other accessories, including its Signature Type Covers and the Surface Dock, which Microsoft said should support two 4K monitors and four USB peripherals.

The new Surface Pro should ship on June 15, with prices ranging from $799 for a 128-gigabyte Core m3 model with 4 gigabytes of RAM to $2,699 for a model with 1 terabyte of storage, a Core i7 processor, and 16 gigabytes of RAM. Models shipping later this year will support LTE Advanced.

Apple is expected to update its MacBook lineup at next month's Worldwide Developers Conference, possibly including the long-neglected MacBook Air. The company should also show off new 10.5- and 12.9-inch iPad Pros, possibly negating Microsoft's speed advantage thanks to faster A-series processors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 80
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    I didn't know Microsoft hired the video add team from Apple. They're good as always.
    ajlcalicornchip
  • Reply 2 of 80
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,722member
    MS appear as to keep pushing. Good. This should incentivate Apple - even further. 
    avon b7doozydozen80s_Apple_Guy
  • Reply 3 of 80
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member
    Competition is good. It's clear that it pushes Apple to outdo themselves. More of that please!
    tallest skildoozydozenNameo_80s_Apple_Guy
  • Reply 4 of 80
    I am really not that interested in hearing speed comparisons between Microsoft's not-released laptop and last year's iPads.  To express my dissatisfaction, I am not going to read any rumor sites until June 5.  Farewell, my friends, a bientôt, and auf wiedersehen (to the "re-seeing" when we meet again).  And of course Cheers! 🍸
    calicornchipanantksundarambaconstangirelandradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 80
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    It's a very solid product. Microsoft is now ahead Apple when looking at how to best transition from desktop to tablet.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 80
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    Impressive looking product. 10 years ago when I bought my first Macbook Pro there was ZERO competition from the Windows side of things for a high end laptop. 8 years ago when I got my first Apple iPhone there was ZERO competition from Android. I still enjoy my 2016 MBP and my iPhone 7, but damn the competition is looking good.
    edited May 2017 doozydozen
  • Reply 7 of 80
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    clemynx said:
    It's a very solid product. Microsoft is now ahead Apple when looking at how to best transition from desktop to tablet.
    Why do we need to transition? I have a laptop I use for work and an iPad Pro for not work. I wouldn't want them to be the same device. I don't think turning the iPad into a Mac is the answer. What's great about the iPad is there isn't much of a learning curve. I'm also skeptical that professionals using a Mac are really hindered by not being able to touch the screen.
    doozydozenmike1macxpressirelandradarthekatwatto_cobrasphericicoco3
  • Reply 8 of 80
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    clemynx said:
    Kind of like a participation trophy for MS, what with its lack of a viable mobile strategy and all, and likely about a month until Apple delivers the next generation iPad Pro.

But kudos for you for pointing that out.

calipscooter63radarthekat
  • Reply 9 of 80
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Will these idiots ever learn to NOT put their shit out first? How many times have Google and Samsung done this only to have the wind taken out of their sails by Apple?
    clemynx said:
    Transition from laptop to tablet, you mean. Desktop+Tablet is a great combo.
    edited May 2017 Metriacanthosaurusmike1sergiozicoco3
  • Reply 10 of 80
    I am really not that interested in hearing speed comparisons between Microsoft's not-released laptop and last year's iPads.  To express my dissatisfaction, I am not going to read any rumor sites until June 5.  Farewell, my friends, a bientôt, and auf wiedersehen (to the "re-seeing" when we meet again).  And of course Cheers! 🍸

Sláinte mhaith, my friend. The rumour-mongers and grub-pedlars have business enough without the likes of us.

macplusplusradarthekatsmaceslinSpamSandwich
  • Reply 11 of 80
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    I'm highly skeptical of their battery life and speed performance claims. I've dealt with both the iPad and Surface Pro in the real world and the Surface gets crippled by all of the other tasks it's doing leaving the user with a laggy interface and really short time on battery. The iPad seems to always live up to expectations. 
    macplusplusirelandradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 80
    ben20ben20 Posts: 126member
    No matter what, it still runs only Windows. My Macbook runs Sierra AND Windows, and Android and Linux if I need it. Over the years we got so frustrated with Microsoft, I happily pay Apple any price for a product that actually works.
    calimacxpresspscooter63anantksundarammacplusplusradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 80
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    clemynx said:
    I actually used one briefly and the most unfortunate thing about it is Windows, which is still a total train wreck of an OS.
    macxpresspscooter63irelandradarthekat
  • Reply 14 of 80
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Competition is good. It's clear that it pushes Apple to outdo themselves. More of that please!
    No. It's a common myth like the "when companies copy it pushes innovation!"

Why would Apple look at the weak copycats and think "wow how can we outdo the imitators?" When you're in the lead you don't look back to see what the competition is doing.
    pscooter63radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 80
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Microsoft can fluff up this all they want...its still a POS hybrid device thats way overpriced. I don't really know a single person who has one that is happy with theirs. And in the end...it still runs Windows. 
    anantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 80
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    I'm not buying the 13.5 hours of battery life though.  The claim is that this is with video playback without WiFi and screen on low brightness.  However, that's not typical usage.  I know for a fact that I can get 12+ hours from an iPad with it actually being used.  I

This device is about 50% thicker than the iPad Pro and the latter has more pixels.  Notice how they compared it to the 12" MacBook instead of the iPad Pro... why are we comparing laptops to tablets exactly? Why isn't the iPad Pro considered a computer by statistics companies again?

The thing also weights more.  I'm not saying it wouldn't be a great device, but I don't think it's all that much better than the existing iPad Pro lineup and Apple is set to announce something new in less than two weeks...
    pscooter63anantksundaramirelandradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 80
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member
    ben20 said:
    No matter what, it still runs only Windows. My Macbook runs Sierra AND Windows, and Android and Linux if I need it. Over the years we got so frustrated with Microsoft, I happily pay Apple any price for a product that actually works.
    WSL - Windows Subsystem for Linux.  Developers can run Ubuntu on windows (and soon, there will be Fedora and Suse as well).

• Reply 18 of 80
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member
    jkichline said:
    I'm not buying the 13.5 hours of battery life though.  The claim is that this is with video playback without WiFi and screen on low brightness.  However, that's not typical usage.  I know for a fact that I can get 12+ hours from an iPad with it actually being used.  I

This device is about 50% thicker than the iPad Pro and the latter has more pixels.  Notice how they compared it to the 12" MacBook instead of the iPad Pro... why are we comparing laptops to tablets exactly? Why isn't the iPad Pro considered a computer by statistics companies again?

The thing also weights more.  I'm not saying it wouldn't be a great device, but I don't think it's all that much better than the existing iPad Pro lineup and Apple is set to announce something new in less than two weeks...

Because you can do heavy workloads on a surface you can not do on an iPad...  Can you run VS or equivalent dev environment?  Can you run a full on database server like Sql Server?  A local web server?  Linux?  Full Photoshop?  No...  That's the reason they don't compare to iPads.  One is a toy one is a powerful computer for real productivity tasks.

• Reply 19 of 80
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Will these idiots ever learn to NOT put their shit out first? How many times have Google and Samsung done this only to have the wind taken out of their sails by Apple? 
    I think this is the best post you've ever made! :)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 80
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    clemynx said:
    Prove it.

I also find it telling that there's no whining about only have 16gb ram and only one USB port. Those were supposed major shortcomings of Apple products -- but not competitors?
    edited May 2017 pscooter63watto_cobraicoco3firelock